Premed 101 Forums

pre-med Lab technician chances

Samira

Hi, I'm pre-med finishing my 3rd year now. Before going to Uni got lab technician diploma from college and I am also licensed by Ontario Society of Medical Technologists. I am working part time as a lab technician and part-time in private college (doing full-time undergrad). So i don't know if I should try to apply this summer to US med schools cuz my cGPA is <3.4 and I'm taking MCAT in august. Would my 30+h/week explain my grades and my experience in lab field increase my chances?

Your work experience will definitely look good on your application, although it won't cancel out lower grades. If your grades show an upward trend, that'll help you. If you do well on the MCAT and have strong ECs you stand a chance. Might as well apply to a few schools this fall and see what happens -- at least you'll get some practice at the process and see where the holes are in your application.

Thats what I was actually wanted to do... Try to apply this cycle to at least familiarize myself with application process and to see how long it takes for transcript verifications from Canada, LORs etc. And my grades definitely show an upward trend.

Archived