Premed 101 Forums

Ontario Residence?

Just wondering how I can become an Ontario resident.

I am currently living in BC and studying in a BC secondary school, so, according to UBC website, I would be considered a BC resident under the second criteria.

"Has attended secondary school (grades 8 to 12 inclusive) in British Columbia, or attended for a minimum of three (3) years and had a permanent home in BC (secondary school transcripts must be submitted)"

So, if I were to study in an Ontario university, would I be considered an Ontario resident by Ontario medical schools and at the same a BC resident by UBC med?

I am currently choosing between UBC Science and UTSC Neuroscience Co-op, and the advantage of the in-province applicants will partially be factored into my decision.

Answers to the residence question and comments on my university selection would be helpful. Thanks.

Other than McMaster, Ontario residence is no advantage in Ontario.

Specific areas of Ontario have advantage for certain schools, but generally they rely on your high school residence.

As a B.C. resident, you'll have the same odds as a Toronto resident at UofT, Western, Queen's and Ottawa (slightly higher cutoff to get reviewed 3.85 vs. 3.87 this year)

If you want advantages based on residence, move to Alberta.

If you really want to be smart, do the degree you'd enjoy if medicine wasn't even in the picture.

^ sad, but true. I wish Ontario med schools had more of those quotas like other, OOP schools do. I'm afraid it might screw people like me over :(. What's the use of UofT snobbery if they don't give you any credit for sticking with them for four years?! >.>"

I did not know Ontario schools don't have quotas for IP applicants....

As for my university selection, UTSC has the program I am interested in (the calendar/courses offered is much more appealing than UBC science; the Co-op program is better than that of UBC). However, the infamy attached to UofT has got me to reconsider this choice.

UBC Pharmaceutical Science is also appealing for its being a professional degree that directly leads to a job after the four-year undergraduate education. The disadvantages are the heavy courseload of the program (highly possible to lower my GPAs) and the uncertain admission (not even sure if I would be admitted directly after first year; even if I were, I would still need to spend one extra year).

As for expenses, the two programs cost about the same. Studying in UTSC costs around 13k every year (52k for four years). Studying in UBC Pharmacy costs around 6k for first year and 11k for the next four years (50k total). *the numbers are very rough approximations

I also applied to McGill but its location can potentially limit my access to many volunteering opportunities (I don't speak any French).

Judging from the above factors, I still can't come up with a decision. Please give me any advice on selecint between the two programs. Thanks.

I would stay at UBC if those are your options. You're more likely to do well if you are somewhere with greater social support (as in where you grew up), because you have people to lean on. Also, you can't get IP status at McGill as a student, you have to have lived in the province while not going to school to get IP status.

I would stay at UBC if those are your options. You're more likely to do well if you are somewhere with greater social support (as in where you grew up), because you have people to lean on. Also, you can't get IP status at McGill as a student, you have to have lived in the province while not going to school to get IP status.

That's fairly true given that I have been living here for four years and at least know some places for volunteering. However, would there be more opportunities for working and volunteering experiences in Toronto?

Also, how likely is it to get a program-related job with the BSc in neuroscience? Obviously BSc in pharmaceutical science offers a more direct job path, but would the co-op in neuroscience also offers similar job opportunity? Does anyone know about the co-op program in UTSC?

Both cities will have plenty of volunteer opportunities. Go to whichever you think you'd be happiest with, and don't worry so much at this stage about setting things up for the perfect med school application.

Co-op makes it a lot easier to get a decent job after undergrad (pay would likely be far less than as a pharmacist though).

That's fairly true given that I have been living here for four years and at least know some places for volunteering. However, would there be more opportunities for working and volunteering experiences in Toronto?

Also, how likely is it to get a program-related job with the BSc in neuroscience? Obviously BSc in pharmaceutical science offers a more direct job path, but would the co-op in neuroscience also offers similar job opportunity? Does anyone know about the co-op program in UTSC?

Vancouver and Toronto are both large cities. They both have numerous hospitals and other volunteer opportunities. It is unlikely that you will have options in Toronto that you wouldn't have in Vancouver.

A BSc in neuroscience has way fewer job prospects than one in pharmacy, end of story.

You seem really set on UofT and neuroscience, and seem to be trying to find a way to justify moving to Toronto. If it's what you really want, then just do it, rather than trying to get strangers to make important life decisions for you.

Vancouver and Toronto are both large cities. They both have numerous hospitals and other volunteer opportunities. It is unlikely that you will have options in Toronto that you wouldn't have in Vancouver.

A BSc in neuroscience has way fewer job prospects than one in pharmacy, end of story.

You seem really set on UofT and neuroscience, and seem to be trying to find a way to justify moving to Toronto. If it's what you really want, then just do it, rather than trying to get strangers to make important life decisions for you.

Lol. It seems that I am here to find "confirmations", or rather "persuasion", on going to Toronto. What I am struggling with are UT's snobbery that people repeatedly disdain (not just from this forum but also some of my friends) and the "realist vs. idealist" decision (pharmacy obviously is financially better as a back-up plan but neuroscience is closer to what I am interested in).

For now, however, I would choose UTSC as its admission offer deadline is May 1st and I still haven't gotten an admission offer from UBC science (probably not until mid-May).

Thanks for the input.

Lol. It seems that I am here to find "confirmations", or rather "persuasion", on going to Toronto. What I am struggling with are UT's snobbery that people repeatedly disdain (not just from this forum but also some of my friends) and the "realist vs. idealist" decision (pharmacy obviously is financially better as a back-up plan but neuroscience is closer to what I am interested in).

Pick the one that is more interresting to you regardless of whether you wanted to be a doctor or not. Most likely the grades will follow if you are really interested in the subject, since you will be enjoying the course much more and you won't have to drag yourself to work/study.

Archived