Premed 101 Forums

Medical School in the UK, Ireland, Australia

I'm wondering if there are medical schools in the UK, Ireland, or Australia that do not require an undergraduate degree, or university credits in order to accept a medical student. I'm having problems finding this information. It seems Australian medical schools have a very similar system to Canada. I understand Ireland has 5-6 year medical programs, but do they require an undergraduate degree or a certain amount of credits like Canadian medical schools do?

Also, I've spoken directly with 3rd year medical students on summer vacation from St. George's University of London who were accepted as international medical students directly from St. George's secondary school in Vancouver, BC. They did not write the MCAT or require university credits, and at age 21 were halfway through medical school.

For many schools in ireland, you do NOT need any undergraduate degree. You can go straight from highschool. Some schools include Trinity and University College Cork. I believe the 5-6 year programs in Australia also do not require and undergraduate degree. It is only the 4 year programs that require some sort of bachelors. I also believe that all caribean schools require a university degree, but I am not too sure on that one.

Archived