Premed 101 Forums

Number of People who get in off the waitlist

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard 70 thrown around as a ball park estimate for Schulich. However, it can vary every year depending on what cutoffs the schools use for interviewing. If there is a lot of overlap in the students that get interviews, there is more waitlist movement.

This year VR was the major cutoff limiting Schulich interviews and was also a big factor in Mac interviews, so I would expect a lot of overlap between interviewees at these two schools, thus more waitlist movement. The major cutoff at Queen's was the writing sample. Although I don't have any stats to back this up at the moment, I imagine there is a decent correlation between VR scores and writing sample scores, so I would expect a fair bit of waitlist movement at all of Queens, Schulich and Mac.

If you run the numbers, interviews at Schulich carry a fairly good chance of getting in. If you assume that 70 people get in off the waitlist, then that's a total of 241 individuals offered acceptence out of 430 interviewees or 56% of individuals interviewed. However, things change significantly when you consider SWOMAN vs. non-SWOMAN. SWOMAN could be well over 70% and non-SWOMAN around 40% (more ballpark estimations based on previous values).

Increased spots could affect the waitlist movement though. Even if 70 people (I think it was a bit lower than that last year) got in from the waitlist, I think the number of spots jumped by 30 this year, so I'm not sure that we are going to see the same kind of wait-list movement this year.

The number of spots increased this year definitely wasn't as high as 30, I believe it was more like 8-12. There has been a multi-year initiative to increase the number of spots, it’s been more like 30 over 4 years.

I would expect that the increased number of seats in the class would case an increase in waitlist movement (keep in mind that I only said 70 because I have seen others use that number, I really don't know what it was). If you are initially offering acceptances to 171 individuals it would make sense that more of them are going to decline then if you are offering to 140 individuals. The more people that decline the original offer, the more the wait list moves.

I have heard 70 thrown around as a ball park estimate for Schulich. However, it can vary every year depending on what cutoffs the schools use for interviewing. If there is a lot of overlap in the students that get interviews, there is more waitlist movement.

This year VR was the major cutoff limiting Schulich interviews and was also a big factor in Mac interviews, so I would expect a lot of overlap between interviewees at these two schools, thus more waitlist movement. The major cutoff at Queen's was the writing sample. Although I don't have any stats to back this up at the moment, I imagine there is a decent correlation between VR scores and writing sample scores, so I would expect a fair bit of waitlist movement at all of Queens, Schulich and Mac.

QUOTE]

I can see how there would be a lot of overlap between Western and Mac for sure and probably Queens as well.

What do you guys think about the Ontario medical schools taking away Provisional Acceptances and you have two weeks to make a decision. I'm not sure whether the wait lists will move within two weeks. The reasoning is to fill up the classes faster. Many people are saying that this could make the wait lists move faster. I think it might go the over way for Western.

Waitlist movement will probably be very different this year compared to other years (no more provisional acceptance). The highly coveted schools will most likely have more waitlist movement. The less desirable ones will have less waitlist movement.

In the past, Queens has had massive wailist movement (sometimes more than 100%), I expect this will decrease significantly this year as people can no longer hold on to their coveted schools.

That's true, there was likely a lot of overlap this year with the way Mac and Western selected for their interviews. Also, BigM is likely correct in saying that there is probably some correlation between WS performance and VR performance.

Just as a note, 147 people matriculated to Western Med in 2008, 159 in 2009, and 171 will matriculate for 2010. In regards to waitlist movement, I heard it moved 60 spots in '08 and 77 spots in '09.

Ignore my post from earlier, I was thinking of the the 147 to 171 jump in the last two cycles. Regardless of movement, I'm really interested to see how the numbers move anyway with all of the changes (increased enrollment, loss of provisional acceptance, 430 interviewed this year (down from last year?))

Ignore my post from earlier, I was thinking of the the 147 to 171 jump in the last two cycles. Regardless of movement, I'm really interested to see how the numbers move anyway with all of the changes (increased enrollment, loss of provisional acceptance, 430 interviewed this year (down from last year?))

similar pool to Mac and Queens. The list goes on and on.

As far as I can see, things look better than ever for individuals who interviewed at Schulich :)

Yeah the number of interviewees this year decreased from last year (480) and the year before (445).

As far as I can see, things look better than ever for individuals who interviewed at Schulich :)

True say :)

We just have to hope our interviews went well :P

Is it possible that 'true' waitlist movement is higher than the numbers suggested by this document?

What I mean is, what about people waitlisted at Western, are relatively high on the waitlist, who get accepted elsewhereand then drop off the waitlist, before they could be offered admission? Do you think this happens on a large enough basis to increase how deep the school goes into its waitlist to offer admission to candidates?

Just speculating.

I hope this makes people feel better; I interviewed at 5 ontario schools and I saw LOTS of the same people everywhere, and keep in mind i only got to see 1 interview day of each. So there is tonnes of overlap between schools in terms of interviews.

I hope this makes people feel better; I interviewed at 5 ontario schools and I saw LOTS of the same people everywhere, and keep in mind i only got to see 1 interview day of each. So there is tonnes of overlap between schools in terms of interviews.

I second this observation.

Would you mind if I ask: how high up is UWO in your list? When I heard about Provisional Acceptances being taken away it occured to me, that if Western isn't someone's first choice, it's often pretty high up on the list, maybe a second choice especially when compared to Queens and Mac. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but I have a feeling that if people don't get their first choice and have a couple of schools to pick from, including Western, there's a good chance they'll pick Western. I could be really wrong on this one.

Would you mind if I ask: how high up is UWO in your list? When I heard about Provisional Acceptances being taken away it occured to me, that if Western isn't someone's first choice, it's often pretty high up on the list, maybe a second choice especially when compared to Queens and Mac. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but I have a feeling that if people don't get their first choice and have a couple of schools to pick from, including Western, there's a good chance they'll pick Western. I could be really wrong on this one.

Its amazing how much people differ in which schools are their favorite. If you take a look at the Mac forum you'll see plenty of people raving about that school. There are plenty of people who have Queen's as their favorite despite interviewing at other schools. Each school has its own unique flavor and there are students out there that match each flavor very well.

Its amazing how much people differ in which schools are their favorite. If you take a look at the Mac forum you'll see plenty of people raving about that school. There are plenty of people who have Queen's as their favorite despite interviewing at other schools. Each school has its own unique flavor and there are students out there that match each flavor very well.

Yet there's not doubt that certain waitlists move more than others. I think this factor will be very different with the lack of provisional acceptances.

I almost feel like the Western waitlist will not move as much this year because it does tend to be pretty high up on people's list of medical schools. Being stuck on the UWO waitlist may get you nowhere due to lack of provisional acceptances. At the same time, they did interview less people(430) for 171 spots this year, so the effect may negate itself...but who knows it's all a waiting game until May 13th. :(

I almost feel like the Western waitlist will not move as much this year because it does tend to be pretty high up on people's list of medical schools. Being stuck on the UWO waitlist may get you nowhere due to lack of provisional acceptances. At the same time, they did interview less people(430) for 171 spots this year, so the effect may negate itself...but who knows it's all a waiting game until May 13th. :(

I got that feeling too (not to bash anyother schools)... With the Provisional Acceptance option, it worked out that a large percentage of the class was comprised of SWOMEN candidates. Take away the provisional acceptance option and who knows what will happen.

Rereading my post I sound certain I will sit on the waitlist. I don't mean to sound so negative, this process just cuts ya down and it has been a very long year on top of other things lol.... Who knows maybe my interview (which felt good at different times) will carry my average (fairly above cut offs but definitely not amazing) stats and me through the process.

I'm hoping SWOMEN can be somewhat of my saving grace too :P Until I actually spoke to other people who interviewed from my school I didn't realize how completely phased out people got about the process as well...it seems to be a general feeling of dissent in the applicant world lol...:rolleyes:

I'm hoping SWOMEN can be somewhat of my saving grace too :P Until I actually spoke to other people who interviewed from my school I didn't realize how completely phased out people got about the process as well...it seems to be a general feeling of dissent in the applicant world lol...:rolleyes:

I'm feeling the same way, guys..I'm not SWOMEN though :(

Archived