Premed 101 Forums

Number of People who get in off the waitlist

I'm hoping SWOMEN can be somewhat of my saving grace too :P Until I actually spoke to other people who interviewed from my school I didn't realize how completely phased out people got about the process as well...it seems to be a general feeling of dissent in the applicant world lol...:rolleyes:

I'm hoping SWOMEN will save me as well. I'm only slightly above the GPA cut off and have a 30 MCAT. Not to mention UofC (my only other interview) will likely will cut approximately 50 seats (and UofA will cut 50 more, which will undoubtedly impact UofC wailtist)...and this pretty much kills my chances there :mad:

I'm not pleased with these changes both in Alberta and with the lack of provisional acceptances at all. BOO-URNS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its amazing how much people differ in which schools are their favorite.

Each school has its own unique flavor and there are students out there that match each flavor very well.

+1

...if Western isn't someone's first choice, it's often pretty high up on the list, maybe a second choice especially when compared to Queens and Mac.

I could be really wrong on this one.

Well yes, as far as I'm concerned anyway: McMaster and Toronto are my top choices, while Western and Queen's are my second pick schools.

...I'm hoping my 'good' interview + SWOMEN status will carry me through :D

I'm hoping SWOMEN can be somewhat of my saving grace too...

I'm hoping SWOMEN will save me as well. ...

Your SWOMEN status will help you tremendously, as far as your post-interview chances of admission at Western is concerned.

I think in general, applicants are not aware of (or downplay) how important an impact their SWOMEN status carries at Western.

If I claimed SWOMEN status, and I felt my interview was solid, I'd expect an offer of admission from Western on May 13th!

No seriously, what is going on? What do you mean by no provisional acceptance?

You can no longer accept one and hold on to another waitlist. i.e. what you see on May 13th is what you get. If you don't have your top choice within the first two weeks, tough.

So..you get into school x and school y you are waitlisted. You can gamble and accept school x or reject them and wait out school y. God damn that's cruel.

Yep, except you flipped it, the gamble (foolish IMO) would be to reject x and wait out school y.

How will this really affect people? The way I see it, all this does is basically shorten the provisional acceptance period. The decision that people would normally make over several months, they would make in two weeks. Everyone will accept/decline their offers in the first two weeks, and so waitlists will last only two weeks.

In other words, you will hear back from school y within two weeks. Which is good - isn't it?

How will this really affect people? The way I see it, all this does is basically shorten the provisional acceptance period. The decision that people would normally make over several months, they would make in two weeks. Everyone will accept/decline their offers in the first two weeks, and so waitlists will last only two weeks.

In other words, you will hear back from school y within two weeks. Which is good - isn't it?

Problem is if you have an acceptance to your lower ranked school, you have to accept it without the option to wait for your higher ranked school. Yes, you're still going to be a doctor, but no doubt many people have a preference for which school they want to go to.

Also, waitlist movement between May 13->27 will be minimal, at best (because the majority of the people will wait till the final days to make the decision).

So yes, it's good at the macro level, in that people won't have to agonize for months and months and have to make life-changing decisions in a matter of weeks (getting a place, moving cross-country, etc.). However, at the micro level when considering an individual applicant, it may not work as favorably.

Problem is if you have an acceptance to your lower ranked school, you have to accept it without the option to wait for your higher ranked school. Yes, you're still going to be a doctor, but no doubt many people have a preference for which school they want to go to.

Also, waitlist movement between May 13->27 will be minimal, at best (because the majority of the people will wait till the final days to make the decision).

So yes, it's good at the macro level, in that people won't have to agonize for months and months and have to make life-changing decisions in a matter of weeks (getting a place, moving cross-country, etc.). However, at the micro level when considering an individual applicant, it may not work as favorably.

I personally can't see the removal of provisional acceptences having a significant impact on the absolute wait list movement. The individuals that only get into one school are going to accept that school. If they were high on the waitlist at another school, that waitlist will now jump them. When the individuals that were accepted to multiple school pick their school of preference, the waitlist movement will now stretch further down the waitlist as the individuals that were only accepted to one school and waitlisted at others are now off the list (as they accepted at their lesser preferred school).

If anything, I would expect that this would increase the waitlist movement at the more popular schools and decrease it at the less popular schools (although I don't strongly believe that there are "popular" and "unpopular" programs).

At this point I would say that I am more worried about the slashing of seats in Alberta. They still have an enormous doctor shortage, yet they are slashing seats, which not only makes their doctor shortage there worse, but also has a national impact (more students coming to Ontario to study then returning to Alberta to practise and general redistribtion of doctors to underserviced areas).

Oh, the absolute waitlist movement will be the exact same as it would have been with provisional acceptance.

As you indicated, the relative waitlist movement in schools will change based on popularity.

I'm not sure where in my post I said otherwise?

Oh, the absolute waitlist movement will be the exact same as it would have been with provisional acceptance.

As you indicated, the relative waitlist movement in schools will change based on popularity.

I'm not sure where in my post I said otherwise?

You didn't, I'm just building on the general consensus from the thread about provisional acceptences. People there think that there will be less waitlist movement at the more popular schools. I actually feel that the opposite will be observed.

You didn't, I'm just building on the general consensus from the thread about provisional acceptences. People there think that there will be less waitlist movement at the more popular schools. I actually feel that the opposite will be observed.

It all depends on what the "popular" schools are with this applicant pool. UWO could be really popular, or maybe 150 of the 430 applicants don't really want to go here.

They should, because if someone is on the higher priority waitlist at their top school, they may choose to wait it out if they have an acceptance at another school... (although it is risky, it is not as risky as waiting it out if you are on the waitlist and do not know your position on the list...)

I wonder if they will still let people know if they're on the "High priority waitlist' this year, with this year's changes to the system.

I agree they should, but even being on the high priority list is not a guarantee (particularly if the rules change as they are).

I agree they should, but even being on the high priority list is not a guarantee (particularly if the rules change as they are).

However, if it is like last year, then expect to get in. People who didn't get the "high waitlist" e-mail still managed to get in off the waitlist.

Your SWOMEN status will help you tremendously, as far as your post-interview chances of admission at Western is concerned.

I think in general, applicants are not aware of (or downplay) how important an impact their SWOMEN status carries at Western.

If I claimed SWOMEN status, and I felt my interview was solid, I'd expect an offer of admission from Western on May 13th!

Sigh, even with my SWOMEN status I'm just not sure. My interview was really a toss-up. :o

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before...

Let's say you're offered a spot on the Windsor campus but you really wanted the London campus. If someone is offered a spot on the London campus, and they reject the offer, would a person who already has an offer but to their second choice campus be able to switch into the empty spot on their preferred campus? Or are offers firm and binding to the campus site?

Hey guys. I'm not sure if this has been brought up before...

Let's say you're offered a spot on the Windsor campus but you really wanted the London campus. If someone is offered a spot on the London campus, and they reject the offer, would a person who already has an offer but to their second choice campus be able to switch into the empty spot on their preferred campus? Or are offers firm and binding to the campus site?

I had London as my first choice. I was offered a spot on the Windsor campus and I accepted it. I got a call half-way through the summer saying a London spot had opened up and they offered me it. I accepted.

So yes, this happens.

Say you had two people that got an offer. One for Main Campus and another for Windsor. Can they switch if both wanted the change? I doubt they do, but it seems like a fairly low-harm move it both people went to the Admissions office and requested it.

I would doubt this would be allowed. I'm not sure about the very beginning of the year, but people have tried to do this partway through the year and they were denied.

I would doubt this would be allowed. I'm not sure about the very beginning of the year, but people have tried to do this partway through the year and they were denied.

I agree... to allow this sort of prearranged switching to occur would permit the potential for people to sell desired campus spots to the highest bidding "friend", which would mean unethical, unequal access for different people.

Archived