Premed 101 Forums

Number of People who get in off the waitlist

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There actually have been reports of this happening at other multi-campus schools, which is most likely the reason it hasn't been allowed here.

really? which ones? cause I know that at mac, you get 1 offer to 1 campus... and that is it.. take it or leave it

I believe this was recently made available on the Schulich website: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/administration/Deans-newsletters/Deans_Report_April2010.pdf

Its interesting to see the decline in SWOMAN students in the 2009/2010 class compared to the 2008/2009 (25% vs 40%). The post-interview acceptance for SWOMAN students was around 65% which has decreased from 2008/2009.

I believe this was recently made available on the Schulich website: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/administr..._April2010.pdf

Its interesting to see the decline in SWOMAN students in the 2009/2010 class compared to the 2008/2009 (25% vs 40%). The post-interview acceptance for SWOMAN students was around 65% which has decreased from 2008/2009.

Actually if you looked at previous reports, the number of accepted SWOMEN varied quite a bit, from something like 50% to 80%....quite variegated, but still higher than non-SWOMEN.

Actually if you looked at previous reports, the number of accepted SWOMEN varied quite a bit, from something like 50% to 80%....quite variegated, but still higher than non-SWOMEN.

I remember running the numbers a while ago. 40% of the 2008/2009 class was SWOMAN and I believe the post-interview acceptance rate for SWOMAN interviewees was around 78%. Its unfortunate to see that it dropped in 2009/2010 but at the same time I don't believe that we can draw strong conclusions about what will happen this year based on data from current trends.

I think like anything, the number of SWOMEN people who are accepted/interviewed will increase and decrease in cycles. Although there was 19 less SWOMEN acceptances this year compared to last year there are several other factors to think about. The number of seats has increased by 12, the number interviewed has decreased this year to 430 (as mentioned by Alastriss). I think with these changes and the provisional acceptance difference, as well as the drop in Alberta seats.....NO one can predict what will happen. This is going to be an interesting round to say the least, and I believe that SWOMEN will still have a strong 68-75% acceptance rate since it does average out to that.

171/430 = 40% in general !! :)

So do people actually get rejected from Western, or is it just "accepted" or "waitlisted?"

There are definitely rejections, though I don't think there are many. Then there are acceptances, "high waitlist," and "regular waitlist." Lots of people got in off the regular waitlist.

^ getting in off the regular waitlist was probably only for last year.....they had a bunch of new seats added last year and didn't expect to have the addition spots, thus there was more waitlist movement.

This year, the extra seats have already been factored in, so more people will be accepted, but less waitlist movement than last year.

• 2 weeks later...
^ getting in off the regular waitlist was probably only for last year.....they had a bunch of new seats added last year and didn't expect to have the addition spots, thus there was more waitlist movement.

This year, the extra seats have already been factored in, so more people will be accepted, but less waitlist movement than last year.

Well, there may be less movement than last year, but it will still be significant. Have faith.

What do you mean by lack of provisional acceptances? Thanks.

Prior this admission cycle, people who received acceptances could "loosely" or "provisionally" accept their offers. That is, they could accept a school's offer, but hold out hope for an acceptance off of another school's waitlist once the waitlist offers rolled out. If they received an offer off the waitlist, they could replace their commitment at their previous school with their commitment at the new school. This year, once you commit to a school, it's set in stone, you have to enroll at that university.

Guest paging_dr
Prior this admission cycle, people who received acceptances could "loosely" or "provisionally" accept their offers. That is, they could accept a school's offer, but hold out hope for an acceptance off of another school's waitlist once the waitlist offers rolled out. If they received an offer off the waitlist, they could replace their commitment at their previous school with their commitment at the new school. This year, once you commit to a school, it's set in stone, you have to enroll at that university.

So essentially it's possible that the waitlist won't move as much as previous years. However the waitlist will be more thinned out since applicants who accept solid offers from other schools are immediately withdrawn from UWO's waitlist, when in previous years they might have accepted another school's offer and stayed on the Western one in hopes of an eventual offer. These two effects may cancel eachother out, at least for waitlistees who have no initial offers. Then again it's really hard to tell how it will turn out in the end.

So essentially it's possible that the waitlist won't move as much as previous years. However the waitlist will be more thinned out since applicants who accept solid offers from other schools are immediately withdrawn from UWO's waitlist, when in previous years they might have accepted another school's offer and stayed on the Western one in hopes of an eventual offer. These two effects may cancel eachother out, at least for waitlistees who have no initial offers. Then again it's really hard to tell how it will turn out in the end.

It's possible that certain schools' waitlists won't move as much as previous years, but the overall waitlist movement for all Ontario schools should be similar. Some schools will experience greater movement than before, some will experience less. Here's hoping Western is a school that experiences more movement :P

Yeah it's extremely hard to predict how things will conclude, especially since we don't know whether Western will start making offers to waitlisted folks prior to May 27th or after it. I've heard U of T will start making offers tomorrow, while Queens has stated they will wait until after the 27th. If I had to guess, I'd say they will wait until after the 27th, since in their waitlist e-mail it said those who wish to remain on the waitlist must contact the office no later than June 1. I would doubt that they would start making offers to waitlistees before everyone has pledged to remain on the list.

Seems kind of strange Queen's would wait til next Monday when Toronto is starting tomorrow (today I guess). If I remember you had a week to decide if you got in off a waitlist, so if people were near the top of both Queens and UofT's waitlist they are all going to end up at Toronto...not sure why some school's would be willing to do that to themselves.

Archived