Premed 101 Forums

Buzz Words?

Hey all,

I thought it might help people out to discuss some "buzz" words for the interview. Just spitball some terms that might either come up, or be good to use in discussion.

Here are some of mine:

Voluntariness, consent, disclosure, two-tiered health care, patient-directed-care, autonomy,

Anything anyone could think up could definitely help. I think tossing out a few of these words especially in the hypothetical type questions could be useful.

-Josh

this post is hilarious. thank you for the unintentional humor.

PS

I hear that if you work the word 'labia' into your interview answer you get automatic admission.

lol I didn't think this thread would be too well recieved.

O well.

Interviewer:"Tell me about yourself."

Applicant: "I was born in raised in Labia, I mean Lybia"

this post is hilarious. thank you for the unintentional humor.

PS

I hear that if you work the word 'labia' into your interview answer you get automatic admission.

This thread is a joke because the OP may not be familiar with or misunderstood the definition of a 'buzzword'.

FYI:

"Labelling a term a "buzzword" often pejoratively implies that it is now used pretentiously and inappropriately by individuals with little understanding of its actual meaning who are most interested in impressing others by making their discourse sound more esoteric, obscure, and technical than it otherwise would be."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzword

Then again, maybe that was your intention...

This thread is a joke because the OP may not be familiar with or misunderstood the definition of a 'buzzword'.

FYI:

"Labelling a term a "buzzword" often pejoratively implies that it is now used pretentiously and inappropriately by individuals with little understanding of its actual meaning who are most interested in impressing others by making their discourse sound more esoteric, obscure, and technical than it otherwise would be."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzzword

Then again, maybe that was your intention...

Lol no its certainly not my intention to impress by using terms incorrectly, but I think using them correctly could be impressive. As per your wiki reference, let's replace the term buzz-word with 'jargon', moreover, appropriate-not-gonna-make-you-look-like-a-tool-jargon, shall we?

But thanks for the correction :) I guess my use of the word 'buzz-word' was 'buzz-word-like' of me.

Use 'canmeds'. U of T loves that stuff.

Yea! Queens was really big on the CANMED guidelines as well. Either mentioning it directly or just casually mentioning how you have the specific attributes would be useful.

Thanks Laika, this is the type of thing I meant in the original post

lol I didn't think this thread would be too well recieved.

O well.

Interviewer:"Tell me about yourself."

Applicant: "I was born in raised in Labia, I mean Lybia"

Yeah, there you go. You could also make an analogy: I want to get into medical school because it is a gateway to a great career. Like labia, if you will, guarding the entrance to...

Josh, I think what you were trying to do is awesome. These kind of threads, ones where the OP is trying to start a useful discussion, is invaluable to premeds. I don't understand how people can be so technical on this forum. I don't know about Josh, but seeing all these "Senior Members" putting people down and commenting like they are above all annoys the hell out of me.

Can't we just try being supportive of each other?

lol, I was told by some UT meds to not throw down canmeds periodically throughout the interviews.

I was totally ready to....

also I should just say, more seriously. Just because the school has bought into something, and is playing it up hard on their website, doesn't mean the med student or doc sitting in front of you has.

that being said I did talk a lot about the health advocate stuff in all my interviews, not so much because it was a canmed but more because advocacy is something in interested in just in the general sense.

Josh, I think what you were trying to do is awesome. These kind of threads, ones where the OP is trying to start a useful discussion, is invaluable to premeds. I don't understand how people can be so technical on this forum. I don't know about Josh, but seeing all these "Senior Members" putting people down and commenting like they are above all annoys the hell out of me.

I agree.

lol, I was told by some UT meds to not throw down canmeds periodically throughout the interviews.

also I should just say, more seriously. Just because the school has bought into something, and is playing it up hard on their website, doesn't mean the med student or doc sitting in front of you has.

that being said I did talk a lot about the health advocate stuff in all my interviews, not so much because it was a canmed but more because advocacy is something in interested in just in the general sense.

Damn, I was gonna start every q with "well, the canmeds tenet relevant here is: ____"

Yeah, completely... my reply was a little tongue in cheek. I think most student interviewers would vomit at hearing an interviewee ramble about canmeds since it's forced down our throats so often in our curriculum. As you pointed out, many med students and staff physicians don't drink the canmeds kool-aid.

I agree.

In hindsight, I agree that my prior post was not very helpful.

Sometimes, I just get annoyed at premed naiveté...

...I was told by some UT meds to not throw down canmeds periodically throughout the interviews.

...I think most student interviewers would vomit at hearing an interviewee ramble about canmeds since it's forced down our throats so often in our curriculum. As you pointed out, many med students and staff physicians don't drink the canmeds kool-aid.

This is what I was trying to get at...

To Nemesis:

While I was kind of referring to you in my post, I was really trying to generalize to the larger group of Senior Members on this forum and trying to remind everyone that we should be here to support each other as best we can.

Anyways, I'd also like to add that you're pretty much my favorite forum member at the moment because lots of your posts have been very informative and useful to me. Thank you very much!!! :)

To Nemesis:

While I was kind of referring to you in my post, I was really trying to generalize to the larger group of Senior Members on this forum and trying to remind everyone that we should be here to support each other as best we can.

Anyways, I'd also like to add that you're pretty much my favorite forum member at the moment because lots of your posts have been very informative and useful to me. Thank you very much!!! :)

Haha, I realize you were trying to generously shroud your comments regarding the 'Senior Members' of this forum (thread), when really it was referring to my post, as I was the only 'Senior Member' who had posted at the time.

As a side note, please do not think anything of this forum's senior member status, as it is automatically attained at the 100 post mark and is hardly indicative of a particular member's usefulness or knowledge (you're only ~50 posts away yourself...now get to posting!). :)

If you can drop a few of these words casually in your interview, I guarantee the interviewers will notice...

por ejemplo: Adding in your answer- well, the physician must be an advocate for his/her patients, or describe a past experience which shows your collaboration etc...

look up canmeds terms and use them if appropriate, don't overuse them tho- its obvious.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, completely... my reply was a little tongue in cheek. I think most student interviewers would vomit at hearing an interviewee ramble about canmeds since it's forced down our throats so often in our curriculum. As you pointed out, many med students and staff physicians don't drink the canmeds kool-aid.

It is a slow evening so...

Here is the low down on CanMEDS:

They are important. No one in their right mind will say the 7 competencies are not worthwhile. If you understand and live all 7 there is a good bet you are a pretty good doctor. If you suck at one of them chances are you are a pain in the ass to work with at best and incompetent and dangerous at the worst.

The vast majority of physicians have no problem with CanMEDS. The idea makes sense and is very straight forward. The reason why I think some might groan at the word CanMEDS is because it appears just so damn obvious that it may appear silly to design a "list" of required competencies. Yet, I can tell you this much, despite CanMEDS being straight forward and obvious, you will still run into people on a rare occasion who are blatantly lacking in one if the "items" on that CanMEDS list. When one does they will quickly be reminded as to why this framework exist and why it is taught.

(IMPORTANT PART) What you don't want to do as an applicant is sound rehearsed and ramble off a list of random crap, and it is crap if you don't understand CanMEDS nor can apply it in real life. But if you have actually demonstrated the ability to be a good communicator, and scholar etc. this won't hurt any applicant or medical student. Just don't use CanMEDS as a "buzzword list". Show that you understand and appreciate the qualities through action. Also interpret the framework for yourself. CanMEDS is very very broad. There is a lot of room for interpretation and individualization.

Archived