Premed 101 Forums

Msc Applicants

I'm not saying that masters or phD doesnt have its merits. But having that degree does not automatically make graduate students superior intellectually. That was the sentiment I reacted to initially.

Exactly,

and what Iam saying is that the canadian admission system is not recognizing or even applying these merits during admission cycle

--there should be no need for a 3.8 msc student with 2 papers and a 32 mcat not getting an interview!!

thats blatant ****!

no other word can be used

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly,

and what Iam saying is that the canadian admission system is not recognizing or even applying these merits during admission cycle

--there should be no need for a 3.8 msc student with 2 papers and a 32 mcat not getting an interview!!

thats blatant ****!

no other word can be used

but they do get a small bonus during the application cycle..Just not enough to offset everything else. Just like how having a higher GPA offsets the UG not having a masters. It would be odd if the 4.0 43T masters student is not getting in.

but they do get a small bonus during the application cycle..Just not enough to offset everything else. Just like how having a higher GPA offsets the UG not having a masters. It would be odd if the 4.0 43T masters student is not getting in.

at NOSM, they get a 0.2 boost in the gpa and i think thats more than enough of a bonus...

after that, the applicants with the Msc are all treated the same as any undergrad student... the difference is, research for ug student is an extracirricular activity that they choose to do it whereas for the Msc students, its part of the program and not an extracirricular activity.

there are always Msc applicants that get it... its just only a few get in

the majority of students that get into med are the ones whose bachelors is in progress and it makes sense that med is what they want to do in the future....

there are always Msc applicants that get it... its just only a few get in

the majority of students that get into med are the ones whose bachelors is in progress and it makes sense that med is what they want to do in the future....

Wtf. How is that a grad student does not want med in their future?

Care to explain?

I'm sure there is a lot of masters students who pursued research for eventual PhD and professorship at universities (i.e not in grad school for pre-med purposes).

Oh absolutely, and they are the majority of graduate students. But my question was how does being a grad student make it so medicine is not a passion of theirs as well?

Clinical researcher anyone?

Oh absolutely, and they are the majority of graduate students. But my question was how does being a grad student make it so medicine is not a passion of theirs as well?

Clinical researcher anyone?

Ummmmm......do you mean how can one be interested in clinical research and not med? Well, maybe that person would rather do the academia route and learn novel ways of doing clinical research rather than applying it. My dad, for instance never wanted to become a medical doctor but is now a prof in medical biophysics. He loves pushing the boundaries of science and creating & building new machines to scan the body. He works with many doctors, but he has no desire to practice medicine.

Ummmmm......do you mean how can one be interested in clinical research and not med? Well, maybe that person would rather do the academia route and learn novel ways of doing clinical research rather than applying it. My dad, for instance never wanted to become a medical doctor but is now a prof in medical biophysics. He loves pushing the boundaries of science and creating & building new machines to scan the body. He works with many doctors, but he has no desire to practice medicine.

I think they were addressing the opposite assumption, which did not address the fact that someone may enter into research with the goal of pursuing medicine down the road. I completely support the perspective that research forms the basis of clinical practice, and strongly believe that someone could go into a MSc or PhD program with the intention of practicing medicine in the future. Among the many things you learn from independent scientific exploration, research can inspire someone (like myself!) to want to be able to apply these principles at the patient's bedside. I have seen first hand how having experience with research gives the physician an in depth perspective (ranging from what is occurring at the molecular level to possible clinical trial treatments), giving them the passion and open-mindedness needed to provide excellent patient care.

Of course it is entirely possible that someone could go into research with no intention of going into medicine as well, however the other possibility not unlikely!

I think they were addressing the opposite assumption, which did not address the fact that someone may enter into research with the goal of pursuing medicine down the road. I completely support the perspective that research forms the basis of clinical practice, and strongly believe that someone could go into a MSc or PhD program with the intention of practicing medicine in the future. Among the many things you learn from independent scientific exploration, research can inspire someone (like myself!) to want to be able to apply these principles at the patient's bedside. I have seen first hand how having experience with research gives the physician an in depth perspective (ranging from what is occurring at the molecular level to possible clinical trial treatments), giving them the passion and open-mindedness needed to provide excellent patient care.

Of course it is entirely possible that someone could go into research with no intention of going into medicine as well, however the other possibility not unlikely!

I am confused. But I am also tired.

If you think the mac's 0.01 bonus is helpful (mind you, majority of schools has stopped the grad applicant "stream")-western, ottawa this year

(no policies: dal, memorial, uman, UBC, sask)

(that is why every grad student applies of uoft and queens)

a 0.01 is a slap in the face!

and NOSM- dont even get me started on that school

Again the merits of grad school are not being recognized when a 3.8 phd student cannot get an interview...

unless he confessed about his pedophilic tendencies in his personal statement...

he should have gotten at least an interview! that simple

If you think the mac's 0.01 bonus is helpful (mind you, majority of schools has stopped the grad applicant "stream")-western, ottawa this year

(no policies: dal, memorial, uman, UBC, sask)

(that is why every grad student applies of uoft and queens)

a 0.01 is a slap in the face!

and NOSM- dont even get me started on that school

Again the merits of grad school are not being recognized when a 3.8 phd student cannot get an interview...

unless he confessed about his pedophilic tendencies in his personal statement...

he should have gotten at least an interview! that simple

then how much weight should grad status carry, compared with say, 5 or 6 years of competitive sports? I'm sure that the people who where truly active and involved during their phDs are all lounging in med school somewhere

Archived