Premed 101 Forums

Email From Ubc..re Timeline To Accept

Received an email, believe it was sent to all who interviewed, acceptances go out on the 14th and you have 4 days to decide and send your deposit...

i know 4 days doesn't seem like a lot of time but again we have already waited for 3 months post-interview

why can't do you online payment on the weekend?

Some banks don't offer the online Interac service, so those people would need to send a certified cheque or money order type thing. And that would be slightly difficult to coordinate over the weekend, you'd need to be relatively on the ball with it.

why can't do you online payment on the weekend?

I can do a payment online, but for someone who banks at a credit union, or a bank that wasn't on the list, they will not be able to do the online option and have to courier a cheque to UBC in less than 4 days with 2 of those days being a weekend.

What's the deposit amount?

By virtue of being university students almost everyone could go out and get a credit card with a small limit. When I walked into TD for the first time ever at age 19 and said I was going to university, they gave me a $750 credit card limit no questions asked really.

I'm pretty sure too, you can find banks that'll do more.....

So with the deadline known, go out and get a credit card even if you only use it for this transaction, pay it off, and cut it up.

Inconvenient to do the paperwork but it'll make those 4 days a heck of a lot less stressful.

The email said online interac or cheque. I don't know if credit is an option. Here is an exerpt from the email:

This year the preferred method of payment for UBC’s $500.00 non-refundable deposit is Interac online. To pay your deposit through Interac online you need to have access to an account with online banking privileges at one of the following Canadian financial institutions: Scotiabank, Royal Bank, TD Canada Trust, or BMO. However, if you do not have access to an account with one of these financial institutions, please submit your non-refundable $500.00 deposit in the form of a certified cheque payable to The University of British Columbia. Personal cheques will not be accepted.

The email said online interac or cheque. I don't know if credit is an option. Here is an exerpt from the email:

credit is most likely not an option. at least i haven't been able to pay tuition with credit :P

edit: actually...i don't know anyway. i did pay my application with c.c

Yeah, if credit card was an option they wouldn't have highlighted the importance of having an account with BMO, TD Canada, Royal Bank etc. Perhaps they only want pay direct and nothing that isn't guaranteed. Doesn't it take a few days for the recipient to receive their money if a credit card was used ---> post-poned payment?

I think the issue at play is that many institutions are no longer accepting credit card payments towards tuition as they lose large sums of money on credit card fees, thus they are trying to do the next easiest thing with online bank transfers (via interac).

Frankly though, it is pretty stupid to be in a mad rush with four days' response time after applicants have waited on UBC for ~9-10 months since originally submitting their application.

When I was accepted last year, I had five business days to send my paperwork and deposit in, and I was living in Quebec at the time. I went to a Royal Bank and had them type up a certified cheque for me. I gave the teller a printout of the spelling of "University of British Columbia" to make sure they didn't screw up, and she was trying to talk to me in English the whole time and impress me.

I didn't realize until the next day when I went to mail it in express that she had written British Colombia instead of British Columbia, and I was worried that there would be a problem with the cheque clearing, and I called RBC and UBC to clarify.

Ah good ol' pre-med days.

When I was accepted last year, I had five business days to send my paperwork and deposit in, and I was living in Quebec at the time. I went to a Royal Bank and had them type up a certified cheque for me. I gave the teller a printout of the spelling of "University of British Columbia" to make sure they didn't screw up, and she was trying to talk to me in English the whole time and impress me.

I didn't realize until the next day when I went to mail it in express that she had written British Colombia instead of British Columbia, and I was worried that there would be a problem with the cheque clearing, and I called RBC and UBC to clarify.

Ah good ol' pre-med days.

hey superking, were you studying in quebec?

Archived