Premed 101 Forums

overquota positions and the big seat cut situation

Hey everyone.

Just doing a lot of reading about these massive seat cuts. I feel for all of you and for myself :( it is a sucky time for our health care and for us students

Just wondering what happens to the overquota positions of rural and aboriginal spots with the funding cuts?

if instead of 188 they are accepting 140 does that mean the aboriginal and rural positions get cut first?

just wondering because i have been seeing Duckett, etc cut disabilities and mental health areas. wondering if our schools will go the same route and start trimming around the edges...

...ok but am I current-collins or 2 years ago-collins?

How would you like me to answer that for you?

Current collins is in the same situation as the collins that would have applied two years ago

I was just putting it in perspective. Competition has always been relatively the same in the past few years. It was just made a little bit easier to get in last year @ UofA (wish collins was born a year earlier/applied a year earlier?), but this year it will be same as usual. So, dont worry about the logistics on the number of seats...

• 2 weeks later...
How would you like me to answer that for you?

Current collins is in the same situation as the collins that would have applied two years ago

I was just putting it in perspective. Competition has always been relatively the same in the past few years. It was just made a little bit easier to get in last year @ UofA (wish collins was born a year earlier/applied a year earlier?), but this year it will be same as usual. So, dont worry about the logistics on the number of seats...

cutting seats is a HUGE mistake.

What you fail to address astudentis is retirement of baby boomers.

Statistics show that in ~5-10 years, greater than a quarter of our population will be comprised of seniors. Coupled with the fact that doctors these days aren't working as many hours compared to previous doctors (for obvious lifestyle adjustments) means that there is certainty of a severe doctor shortage. We in Canada already have one of the lowest doctor to population ratio, this will just make it worse

Not to get our hopes up, but I was disussing the seat cuts with a semi official person related to the dept of med and I said that I had heard it may go down to 140-148 spots and this person said " the numbers I've heard are higher than that, but I can't say exactly how many".

I trust that this person has a good "in" with the dept and would be kept informed about the progress, so if they are right, that could be good news for us all. :rolleyes:

Not to get our hopes up, but I was disussing the seat cuts with a semi official person related to the dept of med and I said that I had heard it may go down to 140-148 spots and this person said " the numbers I've heard are higher than that, but I can't say exactly how many".

I trust that this person has a good "in" with the dept and would be kept informed about the progress, so if they are right, that could be good news for us all. :rolleyes:

good news would be no seat cuts wouldn't it? not to burst the bubble but any cut in seat numbers would be bad news for potential incoming students....

but for what it's worth, i've heard there hasn't been much progress at all despite meetings as recently as Tuesday.

either way, they don't have much time to get their **** together

Im not sure. Hey wouldn't it suck if the gov and Uni's fell into an intractable dispute over class size, and admission offers were delayed till like July until a final class size was decided. That would suck.

I would speculate that the school will give out acceptances for the ~140 funded spots on May 14th in order to ensure that their top-ranked students (who likely have multiple acceptances) choose their school. If the conflict between the governemnt and school got resolved later in the summer they would just add additional spots then.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived