Premed 101 Forums

Anyone from John-Abbott?

tomcrazy2002

Oh my! The chances look slim.... only 1 from John-Abbott!! Maybe I should go to Dawson...

Stats don't tell the whole story all the time. I know one amazing bio prof teaching at John Abbott and, without a doubt, if you choose her to teach you bio, she will inspire you get do well and pursue your passion.

I visited a few classes at Dawson. Class sizes seem large. Maybe ask a few of your friends or pm101 users their opinions. I think teacher:student ratio is pretty important factor in CEGEP.

If anyone can clarify this for me and others, how does the CEGEP and difficulty of the program affect the calculation of the CRC grading?

• 3 months later...
Stats don't tell the whole story all the time. I know one amazing bio prof teaching at John Abbott and, without a doubt, if you choose her to teach you bio, she will inspire you get do well and pursue your passion.

I visited a few classes at Dawson. Class sizes seem large. Maybe ask a few of your friends or pm101 users their opinions. I think teacher:student ratio is pretty important factor in CEGEP.

If anyone can clarify this for me and others, how does the CEGEP and difficulty of the program affect the calculation of the CRC grading?

sorry what was the bio teacher's name, im going to john abbott next year and would like to get in to the pre-med program? thanks in advance

It's true that the stats aren't in favour of Abbott. However, compared to Dawson , you also have to consider that John Abbott has a lot less students than Dawson, and hence a lot less applications to medical schools.

Anyway, in terms of CRC, here's my experience: I went to John Abbott and managed to get 36,xxx CRC whereas my sister, who's at Dawson, and who has considerably better grades than me, hasn't reached 36. So it seems to be that Dawson is slightly harder to get a high R-score than Abbott. It's just my experience, but hope it helps! Good luck and like f_d says: working hard HAS to be your number one priority and what will ultimately make the difference and get you where you want to be.

:)

Don't base your thoughts on stats dude...they change every year.

The fact that 1 dude got in from John.A doesn't mean no one from this Cegep can get in as well.

Remember that it's not every Sc.Nat student that aims Medicine,in fact,a lot are aiming either Law,Dentistry,Pharmacy or Engineering as well,some even aim Biochemistry or Biology research.In fact,a lot of students tell others they want to get in Medicine to sound smart and end up not even applying because they prefer another field.

Yes,Brebeuf/Mariano tend to put more people in Med but it's only because more people aiming Med go there,your acceptance chances are the SAME in every Cegeps,it's only up to you,work hard and try to "jump off the page".A good R-Score is achievable in any Cegep,it's not easier or harder in a place or another.

• 2 weeks later...

It never really gets easier, just more challenging. The key is knowing your prioities, stress and time mangement skills, how to pace yourself, studying smart for you, keeping up to date always and haveing an extremely serious work ethic with not allowing distractions to get in the way. Of course, you need to know how to pace yourself. I have found that success is more a function of perseverance and you need not be super intelligent.

Archived