Premed 101 Forums

Do you use flash cards or just notes?

Do you use flash cards( electronic like anki or written)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you use flash cards( electronic like anki or written)

• yes
    • no

It really depends on the course. If it's anatomy or injuries or something like that - making flash cards will make your life SO MUCH EASIER when it comes to the final exam because you can just go over the darn flash cards instead of looking through the whole book.

However, there are courses which are not worth it and you're better off reading the stuff, listening to lectures, making notes to yourself, highlighting important facts, reading journal articles on it, etc.

I never make flash cards because personally I think it's a waste of time. I'd rather spend that time going over the notes again or doing practice problems etc. But it really depends on what works for you.. I know some people who make flash cards while studying, and if you have the time to make them and actually go through them, then they can be helpful.

Flashcards are key because no matter how many times you "look over" your notes, there's no way to guarantee that you've actually learned the material unless you test yourself in one way or another. I do flashcards for the memorization stuff, look over lecture notes for conceptual material, and then do practice Qs to test both memorization and concepts.

I've made flashcards just for one subject throughout this term and it was quite beneficial. I've been thinking of making flashcards for all my other courses for final exam, but at this point I think it really is a waste of time.

So yeah, I think if you've been making them consistently throughout the term then it may help you for the Finals. If not, I think reading over and over is the way to go (at least for me).

I used flashcards a lot. Not only were the flashcards themselves helpful, but I found that the actual process of making them and writing out and organizing all the stuff I needed to know helped me learn it.

I completely agree. The combination of organizing and synthesizing information so that it will fit on a flash card really helps me pick out the important concepts.

Archived