Premed 101 Forums

importance of different rotations

Dany

hey people,

i am wondering whether some rotations' eval weigh more than others. I am now aiming for IM, so I know that an excellent eval in IM rotation will definately score heavily on my profile.

But other than that, are there some other rotations that IM programme directors will pay more attention to?

(family med? obs/gyn? --- how about surgery? --- I know it's a core rotation, though I am definately not gonna apply for that...)

thanks in advance!

For IM, the IM eval weighs more than the others. However, if you have a bad eval in any of your other rotations, it will be considered a red flag. You want to not have a bad comment in any rotation. They want to know you can work with a variety of people. More importantly, for CaRMS, your electives, and your reference letters weighs much more. Your Dean's letter is just another reason to weed someone out. It won't get you in.

Keep an open mind before you start clerkship. I thought I would never consider surgery and I ended up falling in love with surgery during clerkship. You never know what you actually end up applying to come CaRMS time.

agree with above. do well in everything. that doenst mean you have to get exceeds in every rotation, but should aim for comments like 'hard working showed initiative pleasure to work witih' that kinda thing, so no red flags will show up on ur MSPR. having said that, if something weird DOES show up on ur MSPR, ask to have it removed, they are usually quite reasonable.

UBC Peds clerkshiop has a CTU component to it, that was probably the closest thing to the IM CTU. In my opinion for IM ur IM ur rotation eval is probably vital.

Archived