Premed 101 Forums

Accurate income reports

In BC, the amount physicians bill the medical services plan is a public information. You can look up what any doctor makes. The link to the file is here:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/financial_statement.html

Keep in mind, if the physician is paid with an alternative funding plan or is only doing private health care, their salary is not accurately documented. But this is a pretty good place to start.

Just look up the BC billing schedule... psych bills very high, i might add ;) lol.... don't worry too much about money though, you'll be pretty loaded no matter what you do in med

I have no idea how much a doctor in any specialty really makes. Aside from those employed by government hospital services with full salary disclosure, such as in Ontario, I cannot find a decent list of how much an average doc of any particular specialty brings in!

Sure, current belief is that pediatrics, psych, and family pay low end and ophtho, derm, and rads pay high, but where are the numbers!!?

Can anyone point me, and everyone that considers income important(we all should!) in the direction of accurate income numbers per specialty!

they are billing 400k - probably half of that goes to expenses.

(then taxes...)

im curious as to how some individuals bill over a million dollars.

I've read that family docs make between 100-400 thousand a year. There is a huge variance because some doctors own their own practice, some work extra hours for companies, hospitals, walk-in-clinics, or research. My family doctor definitely makes close to $400 thousand.

Most billing is publicly available.

A salary is generally made up of what you bill your local provinces medical services plan (e.g. if you work as GP in BC you bill MSP, or if you run a private radiology office than you bill MSP) added to whatever you are paid for at the hospital you are working for (this number is completely separate from MSP billings) added to whatever services you provide on a purely private-out-of-pocket service (these are limited, and include things like writing letters, filling out forms, cosmetic procedures etc.)

For example, an average radiologist is paid $400,000 to work full time in a hospital, and then makes an additional $3-400,000 by running his own private clinic. This number can be significantly more if you have less partners, or less if you have more.

If you work at an academic hospital, you may make less, because you might not have the time/capability to run your own private practice outside of the hospital setting.

Oh, and usually the salaries that are reported do not include benefits such as pension, health benefits, travel expenses etc. if these are part of the contract you sign.

added to whatever you are paid for at the hospital you are working for (this number is completely separate from MSP billings)

I don't think this is true. Doctors aren't hospital employees so even if you are physically in a hospital, you are still billing MSP (or OHIP or whatever it is in your province). Academic centres often have alternate funding plans that pay doctors based on a combination of their clinical work, research and teaching. But in that case most doctors still "shadow bill" so that the actual cost of their clinical work is known.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow. The seven-figure docs are consistently ophthalmologists. Had I know that before I started medical school...

Is there any way that this info could come in Excel format, with specialties listed? If not, maybe I'll do a little project. Hmm...

Ophtha, Plastics and Derm are the top paying specialties and the most competitive residencies.

I had some very forthcoming preceptors during clerkship. Urban family docs earn about 150-200K a year (after expenses) Rural Family docs earn about 250-500K a year.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, family pay is nebulous, all depends on the individual, some bill 100 k working part time at a medicentre while looking after their kids, and others bill 400-500 k, just depends on the personality and environment...

my family doc is making 400k per year..........................................

...Urban family docs earn about 150-200K a year (after expenses) Rural Family docs earn about 250-500K a year.

What accounts for this huge discrepancy?

Is it simply patient load? Or are there other factors like payment methods?

Isn't the opposite true in the U.S. (i.e., urban FPs earn more than rural ones)?

There's usually an incentive bonus for working in a small town, plus you may have your office costs covered, plus you get to do expensive procedures since hell, there's no one else around to do them

What accounts for this huge discrepancy?

Is it simply patient load? Or are there other factors like payment methods?

Archived