Premed 101 Forums

I believe it is around 8 spots but apparently they go deep into, if not entirely through, the waitlist.

Do you know if the 8 seats is a quota thing though? Like...if they had 8 spots filled from OOP and the next person on the wait list was OOP, would they just skip over them and give the seat to an IP?

Not sure if I'm making any sense, but if it makes no sense let me know and I'll try to clarify (somehow) :P.

I think I know what you mean... like if the 8 spots are filled, and the next best applicant was OOP, would they give him/her a 9th position?

no they wouldn't, because the lists are separate (OOP vs IP) so they aren't ranked together, and thus the next person would never be OOP... but Dr Ziola has said himself that they go through the entire waitlist to fill OOP, and that was when there was less seats (i believe it has been 6 seats in previous years) so basically if you were to be waitlisted as an OOP, they will most likely get to you

I think I know what you mean... like if the 8 spots are filled, and the next best applicant was OOP, would they give him/her a 9th position?

no they wouldn't, because the lists are separate (OOP vs IP) so they aren't ranked together, and thus the next person would never be OOP... but Dr Ziola has said himself that they go through the entire waitlist to fill OOP, and that was when there was less seats (i believe it has been 6 seats in previous years) so basically if you were to be waitlisted as an OOP, they will most likely get to you

Ahhh...okay - that makes sense. For some reason, I thought that the wait list had both IP and OOP (I think I may have confused it with UA). Do you by any chance know on the OOP list if they distinguish between 3rd years and 4th years (i.e. give more points to 4th years because they are 4th years) or if they have a specific 3rd OOP year quota? Thanks again for the clarification! :)

Ahhh...okay - that makes sense. For some reason, I thought that the wait list had both IP and OOP (I think I may have confused it with UA). Do you by any chance know on the OOP list if they distinguish between 3rd years and 4th years (i.e. give more points to 4th years because they are 4th years) or if they have a specific 3rd OOP year quota? Thanks again for the clarification! :)

The decision to offer admission to any OOP student is entirely based on interview performance following the interview. All applicants are ranked based on their interview score. The bottom 40% have no chance at all, meanwhile the top 8 of the remaining 60% will be offered admission. The rest of the 60% remain on the waitlist. So, to answer your question, I do not believe they distinguish between third and fourth year students.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I may have mixed up the information given by another school.

I believe all the information so far is correct. The IP and OOP waitlists are completely seperate. Last year, there were 6 OOP seats and they went through the entire OOP waiting list and we actually only filled 3 spots so the rest went back to the IP waitlist. So if you make the OOP waitlist you have a great shot at getting in.

So, to answer your question, I do not believe they distinguish between third and fourth year students.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I may have mixed up the information given by another school.

So if you make the OOP waitlist you have a great shot at getting in.

Thank you both for the info - it was very helpful. And encouraging as I think UofS may be the only school that doesn't discriminate against 3rd year OOP :P .

I believe it is around 8 spots but apparently they go deep into, if not entirely through, the waitlist.

so the number of seats was actually increased this year from 6 to 8? because from what i read, next year, the total number is going to be increased to 100 seats but with max 8 seats available to OOP so i thought that it is next year that the seat number gets increased from 6...?

also, does anyone know whether OOP students need to submit their final transcript before May 14th for the application to be considered complete? because for the university i attend, the office grades aren't released until late may or early june...

On their website, it actually says 8 spots are reserved for OOP students. As for the transcripts, their "Important Dates" section does not indicate any deadline for final transcripts. It seems like they might ask you for them after you have been accepted. Most schools set their deadline for final transcripts around mid to late June so I wouldn't worry about it right now.

so the number of seats was actually increased this year from 6 to 8? because from what i read, next year, the total number is going to be increased to 100 seats but with max 8 seats available to OOP so i thought that it is next year that the seat number gets increased from 6...?

also, does anyone know whether OOP students need to submit their final transcript before May 14th for the application to be considered complete? because for the university i attend, the office grades aren't released until late may or early june...

If your school doesn't release them till June, you'd probably just have to submit them as soon as they're out... it shouldn't make a difference in your application, considering the current year doesn't count for OOP, and also the fact that if you got an interview they don't look at your marks in decision making (because of the 100% MMI thing for you guys!)

Archived