Premed 101 Forums

Feeling bad for my little brother

C2U2

In grades 1-10, I didn't care about school, got 70s in most of my courses, and rarely did my homework. I turned my life around and now I'm currently in grade 12 maintaining a ~93% overall average, performing in the 90th+ percentile in all my classes. However, I still procrastinate A LOT, and have trouble focusing.

so,

Realizing what I've been doing wrong in my life, I would always advocate the important things such as reading, studying hard and being well-rounded etc... to my brother and he takes it seriously, which is good lol

My brother, a year younger and currently in grade 11, has a super strong work ethic. He can sit down and actually study for 6+ hours straight, and he does it everyday lol. He has been doing SOSO in grade 9 (87% average) and 10 (88% average). Right now in grade 11, he's taking biology, physics, chemistry and he's only pulling mid 80s in science...

He RARELY goes out with his friends or wastes time watching TV. He just studies everyday; yet, he can't seem to break that 90% barrier.

He listens to me, and I try to help him as much as possible (e.g. teaching him HOW to study), and he actually listens to me, but his marks are STILL LOW!

I just don't get it... How can I help him... He tells me he wants to pursue science, so it's not that I'm forcing him or anything. He says he is interested in studying most topics in math/science, so I don't think it has to do with interest. I really want to see him succeed. I really want to see perform exceptionally well in his classes. He's a super hard worker, but I just don't KNOW WHY. I'm so stressed myself right now, so yeahh

I'm sure that he his intelligence is above average, so I don't think it's because he's 'not smart'.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

Though I may not have the answer for you per se, does your brother enjoy what he is studying? Is he satisfied with life or is he simply working away because it is expected of him?

Maybe he just needs some leisure time in his schedule; perhaps he has been running on overdrive and his tank is now empty.

Just my two cents

Yeah, it could just be he needs to chill more.

Also really 85s in science is good enough, if he keeps up the strong work ethic in uni he will still have a shot at meds (if that's what he wants?)

Technically you should be more concerned about university if you think your work ethic is bad. (that being said my bet is you have a really good work ethic and are either being modest or trying to show off how smart u are).

In grades 1-10, I didn't care about school, got 70s in most of my courses, and rarely did my homework. I turned my life around and now I'm currently in grade 12 maintaining a ~93% overall average, performing in the 90th+ percentile in all my classes. However, I still procrastinate A LOT, and have trouble focusing.

so,

Realizing what I've been doing wrong in my life, I would always advocate the important things such as reading, studying hard and being well-rounded etc... to my brother and he takes it seriously, which is good lol

My brother, a year younger and currently in grade 11, has a super strong work ethic. He can sit down and actually study for 6+ hours straight, and he does it everyday lol. He has been doing SOSO in grade 9 (87% average) and 10 (88% average). Right now in grade 11, he's taking biology, physics, chemistry and he's only pulling mid 80s in science...

He RARELY goes out with his friends or wastes time watching TV. He just studies everyday; yet, he can't seem to break that 90% barrier.

He listens to me, and I try to help him as much as possible (e.g. teaching him HOW to study), and he actually listens to me, but his marks are STILL LOW!

I just don't get it... How can I help him... He tells me he wants to pursue science, so it's not that I'm forcing him or anything. He says he is interested in studying most topics in math/science, so I don't think it has to do with interest. I really want to see him succeed. I really want to see perform exceptionally well in his classes. He's a super hard worker, but I just don't KNOW WHY. I'm so stressed myself right now, so yeahh

I'm sure that he his intelligence is above average, so I don't think it's because he's 'not smart'.

grades in high school dont matter. If he really can study for that long, might you suggest to him that he try out the Isacc newton physics competition, the canadian chemistry competition and the National Biology competition? these tests are taken by people all across Canada, and if he does well, then that means for all intents and purposes, he will be ready material wise for most of first year and second. Plus, if he does REALLY well, like top 50ish. he will be invited to an exclusive camp where he might earn the right to represent canada at the respective competitions. I had friends who werent doing too well in regular bio, but getting in the 90 percentile of that bio comp really boosted his confidence, and he bounced back... so try it out! good luck!

I had to get my HS transcript when I applied to the forces. My average was a 72 in grade 12, and it was barely a 70 in the years before that, haha. It's a great time to develop a work ethic, but it is by no means the be all and end all of success. There is a lot more to high school than grades... and anything that you don't learn 100% will be covered once again in introductory uni science courses anyways. Just enjoy it while it lasts :).

Do you seriously have nothing better to do with your time than hound your brother about something as insignificant as high school grades? Ironically, if he actually has a good work ethic and you're such a procrastinator, I'd say he's doing better than you are.

edit: Your brother should hit you in the mouth the next time you try and lecture him on how to get those mediocre mid-80 grades up into the 90's where all the cool cats are.

University is more about the work ethic. I had a pretty good work ethic in high school and when I started university, at least on a percentage basis, my marks almost basically stayed the same. My marks were around where your brothers were. High school marks are not important at all when it comes to university.

I agree with future doc, your brother's marks are good and there's only a small difference between your marks and his.

I'd say you should worry more about your work ethic which is not going to help you in university than about your brother.

I think you should focus less about your brother's grades and help him live his life outside of school. WTF is that, studying 6 hours a day...

And besides, in HS you have such stupid ass projects/assignments, I'm not surprised he isn't breaking the 90s. 90s become a lot easier in grade 12 where **** gets more serious.

Tell him to tell his doctor he thinks he has adhd, sometimes its a kids only hope, unfortunately... such a shame.

i failed craploads of classes in hs, skipped half my classes in undergrad, and crammmmed for everything... = 3.9 gpa baby, im not sure why people have this perception that cramming is bad, at least for putting an answer on an exam ... your brothers marks sound fine to me... besides getting into medicine is more about studying obsessively needless amounts of hours anyways, so looks like hes already on the right path

not everyone in the world is meant to be a doctor, some are smarter and go into other things...

so,

Archived