Premed 101 Forums

York vs. Laurier Kinesiology

Got accepted to both schools for Kinesiology BSC, deciding which one to go to as I live very close to York though I do not hear good things about the school and would rather go away to Laurier for the experience, though money will be slightly a factor though nothing drastic ( have to work during the year somewhat and obviously during the summers). Thoughts, opinions, experiences about either schools or the programs would be great. Thanks

Biggest factors keeping me here:

Best friends here

Cheaper

Zero debt

Higher marks ( hopefully)

Can spend money on trips, savings etc

Biggest factors pushing me away

Want to get the university experience

Branch out socially

Part of a school rather than a commuter place like York

You only go around once in this lifetime, don't want to regret it or have "what if's "

Got accepted to both schools for Kinesiology BSC, deciding which one to go to as I live very close to York though I do not hear good things about the school and would rather go away to Laurier for the experience, though money will be slightly a factor though nothing drastic ( have to work during the year somewhat and obviously during the summers). Thoughts, opinions, experiences about either schools or the programs would be great. Thanks

Biggest factors keeping me here:

Best friends here

Cheaper

Zero debt

Higher marks ( hopefully)

Can spend money on trips, savings etc

Biggest factors pushing me away

Want to get the university experience

Branch out socially

Part of a school rather than a commuter place like York

You only go around once in this lifetime, don't want to regret it or have "what if's "

What's more important to you: the school or the program itself?

Also, don't bank on getting higher marks at York if you don't study.

I have a friend who goes to Laurier. He likes it because it's a smaller university and you get to know everyone and all of the profs. The same can be done at York however... and depending on your area of interest within kinesiology, you can get far.

Well both are important to me, I know that York has issues the biggest being racial issues and poor policies. Oldest sister went to York for the same program dislikes it as do most people who I know go to York currently dislike it. I am thinking the same way your friend is, small school, meet the profs part of the school etc. I just think that I will regret not going away , yes I do understand that I will have to work during the year to make money if I go to Laurier, though value cannot be placed upon an experience of living away (or so I hear). As for doing well at York, I will because I actually do my work, study etc though I know education should be the most important aspect in choosing your school. Put it to you this way, when I received my York acceptance letter I glanced and continued on, for Laurier I would check religiously the OUAC site every morning until that day came and went nuts.

Well both are important to me, I know that York has issues the biggest being racial issues and poor policies. Oldest sister went to York for the same program dislikes it as do most people who I know go to York currently dislike it. I am thinking the same way your friend is, small school, meet the profs part of the school etc. I just think that I will regret not going away , yes I do understand that I will have to work during the year to make money if I go to Laurier, though value cannot be placed upon an experience of living away (or so I hear). As for doing well at York, I will because I actually do my work, study etc though I know education should be the most important aspect in choosing your school. Put it to you this way, when I received my York acceptance letter I glanced and continued on, for Laurier I would check religiously the OUAC site every morning until that day came and went nuts.

Didn't you just answer your question.

Go WLU. The school feeling there is like a high school. Everybody knows everybody. Although I went to Waterloo rather than WLU, I saw that first hand through WLU friends and general observation. Waterloo itself is a pretty chill place too. Its very student oriented and not hard and doesn't take long to get anywhere in the tri-cities. I'm sure you'd have a better time at WLU vs. York.

And yeah, you should experience life away from home, branch out and meet new people. You can always take a cheap student operated bus trip, or GO bus, or Greyhound back to TO on the weekends.

Well, I go to York - not anymore since I'm graduating. The first 2 years, I disliked York so much until I realized that I need to focus on better things within the kinesiology department - and trust me, there are better things within it. While the school itself is yuck and it has crazy, stupid **** happening, the policies and racial issues shouldn't affect you within KINE program. The kine undergrad office treats its students right and with respect - they're ALWAYS there to help you, advise you and guide you.

There are TONS of clubs within kine you can join and you can play intramurals as well (don't know if you're into sports). Not only that, kine program at York allows you to specialize in certain areas of your interest. The professors by far are the best profs (even though I have been collaborating with a couple of profs from Laurier and they're IMO great too).

It really comes down to what area of kine you're interested in. While Laurier has some benefits, York program is growing and if you have someone show you what is good about York, you would probably be excited about it as well. I know most of the profs within the kine department and have a very close relationship with most of them. Within research, there are TONS of opportunities - you just need to know where to look for these.

Since you're focused on school work, York would actually be a nice place if you let yourself into the kine program fully. My mistake in the first 2 yrs was that I didn't do that. Don't get me wrong - I still think York was not the best fit for me. I believe my fit was Waterloo all along and until this day I regret not going there for kine, but I can't say that I hated York and got nothing done or didn't learn anything or didn't get great opportunities.

Have you gone to see the campus and the kine department at York? If so, who showed you around? You can PM me if you want.

I can't say anything about your sister since I don't know who she is or what brought on her hatred towards the program.

• 3 years later...
Well, I go to York - not anymore since I'm graduating. The first 2 years, I disliked York so much until I realized that I need to focus on better things within the kinesiology department - and trust me, there are better things within it. While the school itself is yuck and it has crazy, stupid **** happening, the policies and racial issues shouldn't affect you within KINE program. The kine undergrad office treats its students right and with respect - they're ALWAYS there to help you, advise you and guide you.

There are TONS of clubs within kine you can join and you can play intramurals as well (don't know if you're into sports). Not only that, kine program at York allows you to specialize in certain areas of your interest. The professors by far are the best profs (even though I have been collaborating with a couple of profs from Laurier and they're IMO great too).

It really comes down to what area of kine you're interested in. While Laurier has some benefits, York program is growing and if you have someone show you what is good about York, you would probably be excited about it as well. I know most of the profs within the kine department and have a very close relationship with most of them. Within research, there are TONS of opportunities - you just need to know where to look for these.

Since you're focused on school work, York would actually be a nice place if you let yourself into the kine program fully. My mistake in the first 2 yrs was that I didn't do that. Don't get me wrong - I still think York was not the best fit for me. I believe my fit was Waterloo all along and until this day I regret not going there for kine, but I can't say that I hated York and got nothing done or didn't learn anything or didn't get great opportunities.

Have you gone to see the campus and the kine department at York? If so, who showed you around? You can PM me if you want.

I can't say anything about your sister since I don't know who she is or what brought on her hatred towards the program.

Racial issues?

Archived