Premed 101 Forums

Lack of extracurriculars in medical school?

Hi,

first time poster! I am in my 2nd year and I am having a bit of anxiety about extracurriculars in medschool, seeing all the things people in my class do. In medschool I havent done any leadership, volunteering or clubs at all...I got engaged some time ago, and my main focus has been spending time together and not worrying about the ECs. I guess my main question is, can this hurt me in the matching for my specialty later and how much?

As for my background:I have done considerable research in the past and individual activities which earned me some awards and recognition etc, nothing too spectacular.

Hi,

first time poster! I am in my 2nd year and I am having a bit of anxiety about extracurriculars in medschool, seeing all the things people in my class do. In medschool I havent done any leadership, volunteering or clubs at all...I got engaged some time ago, and my main focus has been spending time together and not worrying about the ECs. I guess my main question is, can this hurt me in the matching for my specialty later and how much?

As for my background:I have done considerable research in the past and individual activities which earned me some awards and recognition etc, nothing too spectacular.

RBC has polled residency programs for what sorts of things they find attractive. I suggest you look at the 2009 report. You can download it at: https://forms.rbc.com/mrguide/confirmation-1.html

You want to look at pages 190-194 specifically.

Archived