Premed 101 Forums

Has anyone done ROP at U of T?

Depends on the supervisor

I had a great experience, and it led me to some great opportunities.

Other people I know had really bad supervisors and got really screwed on their projects.

Overall, it was like doing a 4th year thesis in 2nd year, which was awesome experience.

I think it's an excellent program - I only wish I knew about it when I was in first year! In research the hardest part is getting your foot in the door. If you apply to any research summer program, having experience under your belt is a HUGE advantage.

It'll help you for years down the road: you'll gain research experience and first-hand knowledge of techniques, which will help in your lab courses and for future research opportunities. Often students go back to the same lab year after year, which is a great way to make progress on a project and possibly even have your name on a publication!

I think it's an excellent program - I only wish I knew about it when I was in first year! In research the hardest part is getting your foot in the door. If you apply to any research summer program, having experience under your belt is a HUGE advantage.

It'll help you for years down the road: you'll gain research experience and first-hand knowledge of techniques, which will help in your lab courses and for future research opportunities. Often students go back to the same lab year after year, which is a great way to make progress on a project and possibly even have your name on a publication!

+1

My prof from ROP has offered to publish my study, but I don't really have the time to go through it again.

The experience I gained from ROP is priceless. I gained a mentor, great experience, was offered a flight ticket to a conference in Boston (along with conference costs) although I couldn't because of school conflicts, and I overall gained so much more than I could have expected. The ROP position also led to several summer positions in the lab which was great (even when I left U of T).

thanks.

Looks interesting. There's a new course offered at UTSC that's somewhat similar to this, but not as demanding (I think). I'm taking it this summer. My personal advice is : Go for it if you want some exposure to research.

The "is it difficult?" questions can't apply any more. From the moment you enter uni, it's hard work till you graduate, and probably beyond. 8-10 hours a week is a lot (and more than most other courses) but the experiences gained will be invaluable. With classes sizes in the thousands, one of the most efficient ways to make contacts with graduate students, PhD students, profs and TAs is through programs like these. As others have mentioned, it will help you get other research positions later. You may also get a ref letter from the prof (and a STRONG one, not just a generalized one). I was extremely fortunate in that I secured a prof in my very first semester and, trust me, it's worth it.

If you're up for the work, go right ahead. Good luck :)

+1

My prof from ROP has offered to publish my study, but I don't really have the time to go through it again.

The experience I gained from ROP is priceless. I gained a mentor, great experience, was offered a flight ticket to a conference in Boston (along with conference costs) although I couldn't because of school conflicts, and I overall gained so much more than I could have expected. The ROP position also led to several summer positions in the lab which was great (even when I left U of T).

Whaaa?! You turned down getting published? O_O I would jump on that opportunity faster than you could say yes, lol.

thanks.

Looks interesting. There's a new course offered at UTSC that's somewhat similar to this, but not as demanding (I think). I'm taking it this summer. My personal advice is : Go for it if you want some exposure to research.

The "is it difficult?" questions can't apply any more. From the moment you enter uni, it's hard work till you graduate, and probably beyond. 8-10 hours a week is a lot (and more than most other courses) but the experiences gained will be invaluable. With classes sizes in the thousands, one of the most efficient ways to make contacts with graduate students, PhD students, profs and TAs is through programs like these. As others have mentioned, it will help you get other research positions later. You may also get a ref letter from the prof (and a STRONG one, not just a generalized one). I was extremely fortunate in that I secured a prof in my very first semester and, trust me, it's worth it.

If you're up for the work, go right ahead. Good luck :)

Can you give me more information on this program in UTSC (maybe the site)?

I will be enrolling in UTSC this fall (Neuroscience Co-op). Any advice would be appreciated.

Whaaa?! You turned down getting published? O_O I would jump on that opportunity faster than you could say yes, lol.

I dunno, this is the 2nd prof I've turned down publishing my research (haha, come to think of it, I'm pretty dumb for that, it wouldn't really be that hard either)..but..

I would if I had more time, but I have had so much on my plate (during undergrad I had 2 jobs and a volunteer position, and now I am working full time with 2 part time jobs) that research publications weren't really a priority (I'd rather spend time with my buddies/gf)

Is it difficult? All the descriptions sound like a crazy graduate school work, not just-finished-first-year level.

Ya, I would say it is difficult. I did a CHM299 and just finished a CSB498. I found them to be by far the most time consuming courses I took in my undergrad. This term I only had class on Wednesday and Thursday but was at school Monday to Friday (and I commute an hour each way) and for all of reading week working on my project. I am not trying to complain, but especially if you are a commuter, it is important to consider. That being said, I would still recommend them both! I grew in my ability to think scientifically and in my maturity; I learned how to deal with failure after investing many hours of work into something and also felt the excitement of discovering things when it felt like I had lost all hope. If you decide to do it, one key piece of advice that someone else gave me (and I found hugely helpful) is TAKE CONTROL of your project. It is a year long so you can become the expert on your project, even more so than your supervisor. Just because you are in second year, don't think that you have to just take orders and execute protocols but actually think about it yourself and bring your ideas to the prof, you will learn more, even if you take risks that don't work out. Best of luck to you!

Can you give me more information on this program in UTSC (maybe the site)?

I will be enrolling in UTSC this fall (Neuroscience Co-op). Any advice would be appreciated.

There is no course description yet. The course was literally made available just 4 days ago by the Registrar. You can take it after you complete first year, and need to secure a prof first. Fortunately, my prof's the one who even told me about the course.

I'm not too sure on the technicalities but I'll let you know in May/June when I actually start it.

There is no course description yet. The course was literally made available just 4 days ago by the Registrar. You can take it after you complete first year, and need to secure a prof first. Fortunately, my prof's the one who even told me about the course.

I'm not too sure on the technicalities but I'll let you know in May/June when I actually start it.

Thanks for the info.

So basically I have to ask the prof just as NSERC?

It is rather difficult as a first year student whose classes are tremendous...

Thanks a lot everyone.

I know that you can't take two ROPs at the same time, but is it possible to do one in the summer and one during the year? Both 299s.

I don't think so, but I think you'd be better off doing an ROP during the year, then continuing in a paid position with that supervisor during the summer

Ya, I would say it is difficult. I did a CHM299 and just finished a CSB498. I found them to be by far the most time consuming courses I took in my undergrad. This term I only had class on Wednesday and Thursday but was at school Monday to Friday (and I commute an hour each way) and for all of reading week working on my project. I am not trying to complain, but especially if you are a commuter, it is important to consider. That being said, I would still recommend them both! I grew in my ability to think scientifically and in my maturity; I learned how to deal with failure after investing many hours of work into something and also felt the excitement of discovering things when it felt like I had lost all hope. If you decide to do it, one key piece of advice that someone else gave me (and I found hugely helpful) is TAKE CONTROL of your project. It is a year long so you can become the expert on your project, even more so than your supervisor. Just because you are in second year, don't think that you have to just take orders and execute protocols but actually think about it yourself and bring your ideas to the prof, you will learn more, even if you take risks that don't work out. Best of luck to you!

Thanks a lot for that advice. I had to ask if it was difficult because the one I'm doing is for computer science and it says we're making "industry-grade" games and so on..(it's a research on a link between video games and violence) I mean, industry-grade? I'm just afraid that the prof will want so much out of me.

I don't think so, but I think you'd be better off doing an ROP during the year, then continuing in a paid position with that supervisor during the summer

I see, thanks. although I meant doing a summer research before the year-long one. I got a ROP for the summer but I have a interview coming up for the year-long one I applied for. So I should probably cancel the interview if I'm not allowed to take two ROPs..

ROP299 at Uoft is the best way to get to know a prof. and get a year/summer's worth of lab experience.

I did a summer ROP last year, and this summer I got a paid lab position to do a project, thanks to recommendations from my prof. So you see, after this summer, I would know 2 profs well enough that they could write me a good reference letter. This is very important, as how else would you get to know profs well in university?

But of course, you should definately apply to projects you are sincerely interested in. Nothing is worst then spending a summer doing a project you don't like, and trust me the prof can see this, and won't be impressed.

Archived