Premed 101 Forums

OGS Scholarship

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yessit...as far as I know. You could attempt to call them but you'll only get a cranky lady. I heard a rumour that after yesterday, you dont even get the lady...just an automated message. bet they got bombarded by pissed off grad students...for good reason. they really eff-ed it up big time this year.

I think the results are still being updated. I know a few people who don't know yet.

Not everyone is put on the reversion list. I know of some rejections. The reversion list is compiled in rank order...which I wish we could know! lol

There is a # to call, but it takes forever to get thru and the lady just says that it's not all up yet.

I heard from my dept. that official letters will be mailed out within the next two weeks...so just have to keep waiting...

yessit...as far as I know. You could attempt to call them but you'll only get a cranky lady. I heard a rumour that after yesterday, you dont even get the lady...just an automated message. bet they got bombarded by pissed off grad students...for good reason. they really eff-ed it up big time this year.

why not?

by the way, if you're a 2nd yr masters student and you're applying for OGS, do they only see your grad school classes/achievements, or they look at undergrad also?

and do they look at cGPA or last 2 years? for ugrad that is.

They look at your last 2 undergrad years. Only when you are like 3rd year Masters do they look at your grad marks.

How does OGS work? Say I want to work over the summer, but decide to go to medical school in September, do I get any money? Or is it completely voided?

My understanding is that to be eligible to receive OGS, you have to be registered in a grad program for a minimum of two terms (terms roughly = September-December, January-April & May-August). I believe it's a payout of $10,000 if you accept it for two terms, and $15,000 if you accept it for three terms.

I'm in a similar situation. I applied and was accepted to grad school, but am still waiting to hear back from med schools. I also applied for OGS but haven't heard back yet. I will be doing research this summer, but am doing it on a summer NSERC USRA. If I choose to not go to grad school this summer, my OGS (should I receive it) would be voided. The same would happen to you. Working this summer would result in no money, assuming you are not registered in a grad program. If you ARE registered, you could count this summer as a term and get paid, but you would not be able to matriculate to med school in September.

Anyone can correct me if any of the above is wrong.

So I would not be able to claim OGS for 1 semester if I carry out research during the summer and then head to medical school in the fall?

No.

From the OGS website http://osap.gov.on.ca/eng/not_secure/plan_grants_full_sepapp_ogs_12345.htm#Eligibility%20and%20Conditions:

Acceptance Conditions

If you receive an OGS award, you must comply with the following conditions:

* You must be enrolled as a full-time student in an eligible graduate program at an eligible Ontario university for the tenure of the award(i.e. two or three consecutive terms). If you withdraw, transfer to part-time status, or fail to complete a term, you will be required to repay the award.

* You may hold one OGS award for either two or three consecutive terms.

Archived