Premed 101 Forums

OGS Scholarship

They've cut back a ton this year on the number of awards. Not to mention there isn't OGSST anymore. Stupid broke government :mad:

I've only heard of one person in UWO-Kin who got OGS..as opposed to like 20 last year

Its getting to be as competitive as CIHR used to be. CIHR is ridiculous now! For my stream they only gave out 2 awards for the entire country. I know they were losing funding but 2 out of 2500? Aw c'mon!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
man just found out i didn't get an OGS. So disappointed seeing how i got it last year. i don't know where things went wrong. My application was so much better this year.

It's possible that they value new applications over people who have previously received OGS. If you think about it, you're well on your way to getting a Doctoral level award (CIHR/NSERC/SSHRC). I think they want to give more students a chance at the award - at least once.

Also like others have said - bad year... Damn economy.

That's little consoling to know (blaiming on bad economy bit) but I still feel like a complete loser. I was hoping to get at least OGSST but all I found out was from OSAP website that I wasn't successful. btw how do we even find out about OGSST anyway?

Fail to get any scholarship, realilty of research, unfriendly supervisors and etc. are all really discouraging events in life and make me lose confidence in myself... that I am some what able, intelligent and can someday be MD.

*sigh

That's little consoling to know (blaiming on bad economy bit) but I still feel like a complete loser. I was hoping to get at least OGSST but all I found out was from OSAP website that I wasn't successful. btw how do we even find out about OGSST anyway?

Fail to get any scholarship, realilty of research, unfriendly supervisors and etc. are all really discouraging events in life and make me lose confidence in myself... that I am some what able, intelligent and can someday be MD.

*sigh

Oh don't let one award bring you down. I have been very close with my supervisor and he's been telling me how the gov't has slashed a lot of the funding for research. He's not the only one who complained - my other supervisor, who is the LEADER in her field, also got way less money and is barely able to accept one student next year.

It's not about you or your application or your ability. It's about the government and their mismanagement. Try looking at external sources of funding. Like for example, I'm looking into CRE-MSD which is connected to my research and they usually give out funding to conduct research on workers in their factories. So, maybe you can find that kind of external funding where your research will benefit the company, its workers or the hospital. I don't know what your line of research is.

However, the situation right now in terms of funding is horrible. I'm pondering of working for a year and then doing my grad studies. Maybe economy will be better next year.

They've cut back a ton this year on the number of awards. Not to mention there isn't OGSST anymore. Stupid broke government :mad:

I've only heard of one person in UWO-Kin who got OGS..as opposed to like 20 last year

Its getting to be as competitive as CIHR used to be. CIHR is ridiculous now! For my stream they only gave out 2 awards for the entire country. I know they were losing funding but 2 out of 2500? Aw c'mon!

No luck here, oh well!

*sigh

i know how you feel... right now I just want to escape to Australia and do a MBBS (~~M.D.). but I know I want to do research... it's just so tough to get started... seriously... the past 2 years have probably been the worst seasons to apply for these types of things. I've been applying for two years (i'm in psych/neuroscience by the way).

i was wondering the same thing! and also wondering if some disciplines (ie. clinical sciences) have a greater proportion of successful applicants turning down their awards for CIHR, for example

do you think there are more awards within certain disciplines. They ask you for a discipline code... i am thinking maybe of putting neuroscience.

e.g. Health Sci (neurosci) vs. Psych.

^ yeah, wow that would be so great to know. I was just thinking today that if I put Psych, it may be over-populated with applicants... plus I'm hoping to add some kind of imaging into my "proposal". so yeah I'm thinking of health sciences or clinical sciences.

so I was just able to find out that I am #5 on the reversion list for the "clinical sciences" discipline...not sure if I should be optimistic about this...does anyone know how many awards are given per discipline?

thanks!

so I was just able to find out that I am #5 on the reversion list for the "clinical sciences" discipline...not sure if I should be optimistic about this...does anyone know how many awards are given per discipline?

thanks!

I think you have a really good shot at getting the OGS off the waiting list. Appearently there's a high overlap between successful OGS and NSERC applicants. Since winners can't hold both simultaneously, they tend to select the bigger, more prestigious award- NSERC. All of this to say is even if you don't have the typical OGS average (~87-88%), apply because wait list movement tends to be good!

________

E cigarette

I hope you're right! :) but because my discipline is "clinical sciences" I am assuming most applicants applied for CIHR not NSERC. I've been trying to find out how many awards are given per discipline (10s, 100s, 1000s???) and noone seems to know yet. So I just have to wait and see. and be cautiously optimistic!

QUOTE=123coco;456692]I think you have a really good shot at getting the OGS off the waiting list. Appearently there's a high overlap between successful OGS and NSERC applicants. Since winners can't hold both simultaneously, they tend to select the bigger, more prestigious award- NSERC. All of this to say is even if you don't have the typical OGS average (~87-88%), apply because wait list movement tends to be good!

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that due to the recession, the funding fof OGS, CIHR, NSERC decresased dramatically. But apparently, for OGS, there has been a 50% increase in funding? from 2000 people to 3000 people, can someone please confirm that? I googled OGS increase but nothing useful came out.

I was under the impression that due to the recession, the funding fof OGS, CIHR, NSERC decresased dramatically. But apparently, for OGS, there has been a 50% increase in funding? from 2000 people to 3000 people, can someone please confirm that? I googled OGS increase but nothing useful came out.

Where did you hear of this increase? My supervisor said that everything has been dramatically slashed.

• 11 months later...

Archived