Premed 101 Forums

are fellow medstudents relationship-killers?

Hey now, Mormonism is hardly mainstream. And at the end of the day, who really cares if two consenting adults choose to have sex, casually or not? The obsession over sex you conservative-types have is much more unhealthy than what I'd call the liberal perspective on it. Sex is natural and fun and is hardly something for people that deserves to be policed by their fellow citizens. If anyone has a distorted view on sex, I'd say it's you.

Anyway, this is one of the many reasons I absolutely cannot stand nationalism.

so you're saying as long as you're enjoying it, cheating on your SO is fine? I'm not conservative about sex. I'm against cheating sex.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You have got to be kidding me.

I know more females cheating on men than vice versa. The numbers are essentially the same for both men and women. I just think instinctively women are better liars than men - it's why they tend to do so well in interviews - they on average are better socially calibrated. If you want to know some awful cheating tales from UWO just in the last year (women cheating on fiancees, long term bfs), pm me.

LOL.....That's terrible...I think the big reason is that girls in general make a bigger deal about getting cheated on than men do, so it seems that women get cheated on more often. No guy is gonna go and change his facebook status to "THAT SLUT CHEATED ON ME!", but you see that come from girls many a time.

LOL.....That's terrible...I think the big reason is that girls in general make a bigger deal about getting cheated on than men do, so it seems that women get cheated on more often. No guy is gonna go and change his facebook status to "THAT SLUT CHEATED ON ME!", but you see that come from girls many a time.

Actually, I know a guy who did that. LMAO. :eek:

so you're saying as long as you're enjoying it, cheating on your SO is fine? I'm not conservative about sex. I'm against cheating sex.

You suggested that Hollywood makes casual sex/multiple partners seem "glamorous". I'm saying casual sex/multiple partners among consenting and responsible adults is a non-issue and nobody's business but their own. I've already said I think cheating is about as low as a man or woman can go, but if you're not in a committed relationship then there's nothing wrong with people having casual (albeit responsible) sex with multiple partners. That's not my style, as I'm much more of a long term/relationship guy, but there's no reason at all to think less of people who do, literally, get off on living that kind of lifestyle.

I think what people are failing to consider is the immediate impact of their infidelity...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/middle-east/Extramarital-sex-fuels-earthquakes-Senior-Iran-cleric/articleshow/5824736.cms

I love reading stuff like this. There was some US politician who said recently that women who have abortions are punished by god with a higher likelihood of having a kid with Down's syndrome. Jerry Falwell also said 9/11 was god's punishment for a nation which tolerates homosexuality. Pat Robertson said the Haitian quake was the result of a pact with the devil the people of Haiti made. Yeah, I can feel the love from here.

You suggested that Hollywood makes casual sex/multiple partners seem "glamorous". I'm saying casual sex/multiple partners among consenting and responsible adults is a non-issue and nobody's business but their own. I've already said I think cheating is about as low as a man or woman can go, but if you're not in a committed relationship then there's nothing wrong with people having casual (albeit responsible) sex with multiple partners. That's not my style, as I'm much more of a long term/relationship guy, but there's no reason at all to think less of people who do, literally, get off on living that kind of lifestyle.

Obviously, if you someone is a player, with a declared aberration towards longterm relationships, thats fine, they can have all the fun they want, they wont ever hurt anyone by cheating in a relationship. However, what i am suggesting is that the glamourization of casual sex in media might lead to desensitization and the erosion of the very values that prevent us from cheating on SO's. Similar to how the invasion of scantily-clad women on television has influenced to influence a whole generation. Or how gansters like to hold a gun sideways (started from the A-team, i believe) despite the fate that firing will likely brand themselves with the expelled cartridge.

You're speculating on the effects of those things. I have never read anything which suggests seeing women in revealing clothing somehow erodes the instincts that propel humans toward monogamy.

And the pistol analogy isn't appropriate. How someone holds a pistol they've never been trained to shoot is orders of magnitude more whimsical than whether someone chooses to betray their loved one. The biology of family and love is not something that can be done away with by a few Playboys and an episode of Gray's Anatomy.

Anyway, the point is that people cheat on each other in every single country on the planet, because that's just how people are. Decrying our Western societies for what you perceive as social norms which lead to higher rates of infidelity or whatever is unjustified.

Obviously, if you someone is a player, with a declared aberration towards longterm relationships, thats fine, they can have all the fun they want, they wont ever hurt anyone by cheating in a relationship. However, what i am suggesting is that the glamourization of casual sex in media might lead to desensitization and the erosion of the very values that prevent us from cheating on SO's. Similar to how the invasion of scantily-clad women on television has influenced to influence a whole generation. Or how gansters like to hold a gun sideways (started from the A-team, i believe) despite the fate that firing will likely brand themselves with the expelled cartridge.

That's like saying video games cause violence... you can't blame Hollywood for personal decisions.

You're speculating on the effects of those things. I have never read anything which suggests seeing women in revealing clothing somehow erodes the instincts that propel humans toward monogamy.

And the pistol analogy isn't appropriate. How someone holds a pistol they've never been trained to shoot is orders of magnitude more whimsical than whether someone chooses to betray their loved one. The biology of family and love is not something that can be done away with by a few Playboys and an episode of Gray's Anatomy.

Anyway, the point is that people cheat on each other in every single country on the planet, because that's just how people are. Decrying our Western societies for what you perceive as social norms which lead to higher rates of infidelity or whatever is unjustified.

Actually I think the biology of family and love strongly favors cheating. A woman's fertility basically plummets after 40, whereas a man could still father children at 80. Evolutionarily speaking, it is extremely maladaptive for a man to stay with the same woman in a monogamous relationship.

Actually I think the biology of family and love strongly favors cheating. A woman's fertility basically plummets after 40, whereas a man could still father children at 80. Evolutionarily speaking, it is extremely maladaptive for a man to stay with the same woman in a monogamous relationship.

Fertility doesn't basically plummet after 40. I know women who have had kids in their 50s, with the oldest woman ever to give birth at the age of 70! If fertility just plummets like that, then how is this possible?! Yes, obviously, at some point a woman can't give birth anymore but I think it's very individualized. Men's sperm count also starts to drop because of aging and they also suffer from erectile dysfunction.

Fertility doesn't basically plummet after 40. I know women who have had kids in their 50s, with the oldest woman ever to give birth at the age of 70! If fertility just plummets like that, then how is this possible?! Yes, obviously, at some point a woman can't give birth anymore but I think it's very individualized. Men's sperm count also starts to drop because of aging and they also suffer from erectile dysfunction.

Fertility in women noticeably starts dropping after 27. That is a medical fact. On average, it takes 7-8 months of regular intercourse for a healthy woman under 28 to get pregnant. This number exponentially increases with time. After 35, miscarriage rates increase, as do chromosomal abnormality rates. Pregnancy complications, like preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, increase. Post 40, most women have a difficult time having natural children, with cases beyond 45 quite rare (at least without assistance).

Naturally, very few women have their own biological kids after 50. leap87, what you believe is complete misinformation.

Somehow young women these days think that fertility remains with them till a pretty late age - courtesy of hollywood and the media. The reality is that most 40+ women resort to in vitro - which is insanely expensive, invasive, and with sub 30% success rates per attempt. The reality is quite different.

Not necessarily, the human race belongs to type III species (long gestation period, large but few children in a single litter). As opposed to a frog which dispenses thousands of tadpoles with every litter, it is every bit in the male's interest to stay with the female and protect the young. For example, penguins (fall into same category, a single egg per cycle) also mate for life, and boy are their males dedicated to family life.

Fertility in women noticeably starts dropping after 27. That is a medical fact. On average, it takes 7-8 months of regular intercourse for a healthy woman under 28 to get pregnant. This number exponentially increases with time. After 35, miscarriage rates increase, as do chromosomal abnormality rates. Pregnancy complications, like preeclampsia and gestational diabetes, increase. Post 40, most women have a difficult time having natural children, with cases beyond 45 quite rare (at least without assistance).

Naturally, very few women have their own biological kids after 50. leap87, what you believe is complete misinformation.

Somehow young women these days think that fertility remains with them till a pretty late age - courtesy of hollywood and the media. The reality is that most 40+ women resort to in vitro - which is insanely expensive, invasive, and with sub 30% success rates per attempt. The reality is quite different.

Got it. I don't think fertility remains with "me" necessarily and I frankly don't care whether it remains or it doesn't, because I don't believe in the whole "being here so we can reproduce" idea.

Some women can't get pregnant even when they're 25. Isn't infertility increasing in some countries now?

Either way, my point was that yes, while women's fertility decreases, men experience some changes as well. A man shouldn't be leaving the female because of natural aspects that just happen to occur in a woman's body. You know what I mean?

+1. 10 char.

How will you ever know if you don't give it a shot? Stop thinking and start doing. You either want to give the relationship a shot, or you don't. Some girls think way too much. The same situation will apply to any guy you are interested in, you're not going to stop other attractive, intelligent girls from being around the guy you are interested in. So it's up to you - give it a shot or not. I don't see why you wouldn't though.

Not necessarily, the human race belongs to type III species (long gestation period, large but few children in a single litter). As opposed to a frog which dispenses thousands of tadpoles with every litter, it is every bit in the male's interest to stay with the female and protect the young. For example, penguins (fall into same category, a single egg per cycle) also mate for life, and boy are their males dedicated to family life.

once again, you're comparing apples and oranges.

human children can live just fine with support from only their mothers. It is evolutionarily profitable for men to just impregnate and ditch.

PLUS, since we have evolved internal gestation, parental certainty also comes into play. What I mean is, while women are 100% sure that their children are theirs, men can never 100% be sure.

When the penguins are born, they stay huddled into one of their parents constantly while the other one is off getting fish. If the male didn't do this, the young would DIE. Thus, it is advantage to stick with the young until it is old enough to be on its own.

You are just on fire with the analogies, today.

Archived