Premed 101 Forums

Guys I got a question

I think i'm going to drop / fail astronomy and its not required for my major nor is it an elective for med school. How will this affect my chances of getting into med? how will it affect my gpa?

Flame away after you provide a good answer

PS: im at ubc

I think i'm going to drop / fail astronomy and its not required for my major nor is it an elective for med school. How will this affect my chances of getting into med? how will it affect my gpa?

Flame away after you provide a good answer

PS: im at ubc

1.) It will only affect your chances of getting in to med if it affects your GPA considerably. If you do really well in everything else they should buffer it out.

2.) To answer how it will affect your GPA, you are the only one who knows your marks. Try a calculator.

1.) It will only affect your chances of getting in to med if it affects your GPA considerably. If you do really well in everything else they should buffer it out.

2.) To answer how it will affect your GPA, you are the only one who knows your marks. Try a calculator.

So here is the thing

a 4th year student told me to fail the course instead of passing with a 50~60 grade because it severely affects your gpa. So i think he implied that if i failed it wouldnt affect my gpa...or i could retake it? although it has nothing to do with my major

help a confused kid

So here is the thing

a 4th year student told me to fail the course instead of passing with a 50~60 grade because it severely affects your gpa. So i think he implied that if i failed it wouldnt affect my gpa...or i could retake it? although it has nothing to do with my major

help a confused kid

Failing it WILL affect your GPA. Trust me.

So here is the thing

help a confused kid

hahaha that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. This 4th year student clearly does not want you to succeed. Failing a course is very bad GPA wise.

Why don't you talk to someone official at your school and find out exactly what the consequences of different actions are, that way you're not relying on the moronic advice of someone who obviously has no idea what they're talking about.

wow i thought astronomy was a bird course :confused:

Failing a course will give you 0 points for your GPA for that course. You would be MUCH MUCH better off taking it and passing. Regardless, at any schools that only look at cummulative GPA, you will be in a deep hole and may not be able to recover. Fortunately, many schools have a weighting formula that would help you out. Some of these schools require you maintain a full course load every year (U of T) in order to be eligible for it though - and if you fail, then you are probably going to have less than a full course load and lose eligibility.

Bottom line: Stick it out and do your best to salvage a decent grade. This should be your first move. Following that, you need to research medicine admissions to find out about admissions policies and figure out how to move from there. A lot of us on this forum have some grades that are not-so-hot and are still competitive for admission. A lot of members have gotten in with lower GPAs due to weighting formulas and the different ways schools look at admission.

So here is the thing

help a confused kid

Don't u get a 0 for that GPA and trust me it will count. That student is trying to fail u.

If I were you, I would call a medschool or two, in your case call ubc and ask them what will happen if you failed the course and retook the course or if you passed the course and retook the course.

Yeah, stay away from that academic terrorist... and learn to question everything you hear... and don't tell me "i did, i went on this forum"... as this is not exactly a trusty environment either.. take everything with a grain of salt..

rofl @ academic terrorist

wow i thought astronomy was a bird course :confused:

Bird courses are dangerous. I try to stay away from bird courses. I tend to put 0 effort in these classes and as such, get a bad grade in the end. The only courses that have affected my GPA are these "bird courses"

BTW - why do we call easy courses bird courses? I don't see the connection that bird=easy

Archived