Premed 101 Forums

Chances at US schools

mlbn

Hi everyone,

I am going to apply to the states in the coming cycle (unless I get admitted to Queen's). Though it is still early, I have started thinking about schools and my chances at each. Some of you seem pretty knowledgeable about the process and all having gone through it yourselves, so I'd appreciate your feedback.

Hi everyone,

I am going to apply to the states in the coming cycle (unless I get admitted to Queen's). Though it is still early, I have started thinking about schools and my chances at each. Some of you seem pretty knowledgeable about the process and all having gone through it yourselves, so I'd appreciate your feedback.

I've done an undergrad in chemical engineering with a bioengineering minor, I will be finishing up my Master's in biomedical engineering soon. I have one second author publication, and hopefully a first author soon. My cgpa is 3.77 for undergrad, and A for grad. Mcat 32S (11PS/10 V/11 BS). I have about 150 hrs of hospital volunteering, 20isj of shadowing, a couple of national conference presentations, OGS and NSERC scholarships, and some school clubs for which I have been on the exec for.

From the canadian friendly list that was posted recently, and some individual research I think I'd like to be applying to the following schools:

Vanderbilt, Dartmouth, Case western, and Boston U

St.Louis,Rosalind Franklin, Wayne State, SUNY, Jeffereson

GWU, Michigan State,EVMS, and Howard

Is this a feasible list? Considering my stats,are there any other schools you would add or take away?

Regardless of the fact that there is a specific thread for this....

I think you can get into at least one of the schools on your list.. which one really just depends on your luck. I have a similar MCAT, better GPA but no publication what so ever and I got into Vandy (only interview, only acceptance, rejected pre-interview at Dartmouth, Case and Boston). It's always hard to tell because you are Canadian and it's a balance between your stats, your ECs, the friendliness of the school to international students, how well you match the qualities that the school look for in their students, and just plain old luck.

I think your stats are strong espeically for St. Louis, Rosalind Frankling and Wayne. One other thing... correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Howard is a predominantly URM school so if you're not, I'm not sure if I would bother.

those stats look good for canada...

or aybe its just me

The GPA is adequate, the MCAT wont get any special treatment at Mac, but the EC's seem comparatively weak, especially for a grad student. The EC is probably the reason the applicant would not becompetitive for canadian med.

Good luck with Queen's!!

If you don't get in, then I would agree with mysterychick - take out Howard, as they are a traditional URM school.

Also take out Michigan State. Someone in the "List of US schools accepting Canadians" thread stated that MSU no longer accepts Canadians.

I might consider adding Einstein, NYMC and VCU.

There is still an element of luck involved, so it doesn't hurt to apply to more schools, unless finances is an issue. Most US citizens apply to 15+ schools (based on what I gather from SDN and MD apps). Good luck with your application! Apply early and apply broadly and it'll definitely maximize your chances!

thank you! I am really looking forward to hearing back from Queens :)

I thought Einstein might be a bit of a reach for me and I did not know about Howard until you guys pointed it out.

I am def planning on applying early, I'll start working on it as soon as I get my rejection (:( ) and AMCAS opens up. It seems like it makes a tonne of difference when you apply earlier.

Lol, if you think Einstein is a reach then what about Vandy, Dartmouth and Case? Granted, Einstein wasn't friendly to us PM101 bunch this past cycle but you never know. The point is, if you have the money to spare, then why not. Plus, Einstein's secondary is pretty much nothing.

Archived