Premed 101 Forums

Official NHL Playoffs Thread

I'm going to be bold and predict Buffalo to come out of the East, with San Jose coming out of the West. I know the Sharks are choke artists, but hopefully Nabby and Thornton can pick up their play when it matters.

I'm a Leafs fan, so I have nothing to gain or lose from any of this, unless of course Ottawa or Montreal win it all.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Penguins are a really interesting case. They played like 3-4 garbage seasons, picked up some serious players, and now they nearing the top of the roster.

very suspicious, if you ask me. Trying to purposely flunk a few seasons in order to start a dynasty.

I wouldn't call them an interesting case. The same can be said about Washington, Chicago and a few other teams. There is nothing suspicious about it. It is the re-building process.

Pittsburg was a garbage team in the past. They didn't have the luxury to choose between flunking and succeeding. They flunked because they were bad. And then the picks started rolling in. Say hello to Fleury, Malkin, and Crosby

I don't have a choice. I'll be a Calgarian in about 3 months and, by laws of sports fans, you have to be a fan of the team from your city. It's part of the rules.

Haha I got a good laugh in the Ottawa interview trying to explain being a Leafs fan.... I asked them to take pity.

They assured me I wouldn't be rejected because of it lol.

Haha I got a good laugh in the Ottawa interview trying to explain being a Leafs fan.... I asked them to take pity.

They assured me I wouldn't be rejected because of it lol.

It's ok. You'd fit in with 1/3 of the city anyway, since it's about 1/3 Sens, 1/3 Habs and 1/3 Leafs, with the tide slowly turning to more Sens fans as people grow up with the hometown team. Actually, going to a Sens-Leafs game at SBP is almost like going to a Leafs home game at the ACC. Sad but true fact.

No Habs fan on this forum?

Halak will devour an Oveckin sandwich and maybe pick apart Backstrom for dessert.

Hope Plekanec does not play like a little girl this series.

Go Habs Go!

I'm hoping Montreal pulls off an epic upset in this series, but that might just be because I don't like Ovechkin's style of play. It'd be nice to see a Canadian team win it (ie Ottawa or Montreal...... not so much Vancouver... sorry 'nucks fans;) hehe) and finally bring the cup back.

Predictions for the first round of playoffs:

Montreal in 7 (over Washington)

Boston in 5 (over Buffalo)

Vancouver in 7 (over LA.... the 'nucks won't choke until the 2nd round....)

Pittsburgh in 6 (I can see Ottawa putting up a good fight)

Philly in 7 (over NJ)

Phoenix in 7 (huge upset win over Detriot)

Chicago in 5 (over Nashville)

Colorado in 5 (San Jose chokes... like always)

Boston in 5 (over Buffalo)
I have a hard time seeing Boston upset Buffalo. Miller's having an outstanding year and Boston has a tough time scoring goals. I know that Buffalo has some key injuries, but unless Boston wins their games in close, low-scoring fashion, like 2-1, it's going to be tough. Plus Tuukka (awesome first name) Rask would need to play lights-out.

Haha I never said anything about the second round...

Haha... apologies... I assumed from your "Location" that you were a fan. I guess I shouldn't assume...... :P

They'll be able to test out their golf skills in no time at all;) ......

Especially if the great Sedin disappearing act happens again this year (as it does every year...)

EDIT: Just saw that Montreal won in OT against AO and Washington! Awesome! :D Hopefully they can pull off 3 more like that.....

Haha... apologies... I assumed from your "Location" that you were a fan. I guess I shouldn't assume...... :P

They'll be able to test out their golf skills in no time at all;) ......

Especially if the great Sedin disappearing act happens again this year (as it does every year...)

EDIT: Just saw that Montreal won in OT against AO and Washington! Awesome! :D Hopefully they can pull off 3 more like that.....

Except they don't disappear as evidenced by last year. Unless you consider ppg in the playoffs disappearing.

It must suck cheering for such a joke of a team like the Oilers. Judging by the actions of players (Pronger, Heatley, etc.) you're not going to attract any decent FA's to that ****hole anytime soon. I bet Hall will bolt as soon as he has the chance too.

Except they don't disappear as evidenced by last year. Unless you consider ppg in the playoffs disappearing.

It must suck cheering for such a joke of a team like the Oilers. Judging by the actions of players (Pronger, Heatley, etc.) you're not going to attract any decent FA's to that ****hole anytime soon. I bet Hall will bolt as soon as he has the chance too.

Sorry... my bad. I forgot about Chokongo. He's the better disappearing act :P

Hey, if they're too sissy to actually be able to stand our cold winters, not my problem. Building from the ground up worked just fine for Washington and Pittsburgh. And Hall? Who says we're taking Hall? Seguin's the better player imo, and he's already said he really wants to play here........

NHL Playoffs start tonight.... This will be the official thread for this year

Anyways, im expecting San Jose, and Ottawa to choke like usual..

I will try me best to refrain from making any obscene or derogatory comments for the duration of this thread, however i'd like to politely ask what team you cheer for?

It's ok. You'd fit in with 1/3 of the city anyway, since it's about 1/3 Sens, 1/3 Habs and 1/3 Leafs, with the tide slowly turning to more Sens fans as people grow up with the hometown team. Actually, going to a Sens-Leafs game at SBP is almost like going to a Leafs home game at the ACC. Sad but true fact.

Largely a demographics issue. The Sens are still in their teenage years and have spend their whole time trying to appeal to residents of the city who are either Habs fans or Leafs fans. 30-40 years ago when the baby boomers were in their prime there were only 2 teams to cheer for in Ottawa; Montreal or Toronto. The anglophones often chose TO and the francophones chose the Habs. It also doesn't help when you're right in the middle of two original six teams. Fan demographics will change it will just take time.

Largely a demographics issue. The Sens are still in their teenage years and have spend their whole time trying to appeal to residents of the city who are either Habs fans or Leafs fans. 30-40 years ago when the baby boomers were in their prime there were only 2 teams to cheer for in Ottawa; Montreal or Toronto. The anglophones often chose TO and the francophones chose the Habs. It also doesn't help when you're right in the middle of two original six teams. Fan demographics will change it will just take time.
I completely agree.

haha Pogge for Rask. what a trade.

Actually, it was Raycroft for Rask, a significantly worse trade. The JFJ special.

And just for that crack, I hope Bobby Lu gets hurt, and you Canuck fans have to watch Raycroft as your starting goalie through the rest of the playoffs.

As long as Halak keeps playing like this, MTL will go far in the playoffs. He has a record of like 8-1 when he faces 40 or more shots. That is nuts.

I can't stand Price. MTL management is a joke. They won't give up on him, because he is a canadian. Halak has ALWAYS been the better goaltender, but they are too blind to see that.

Halak has proven time after time that he is an elite goaltender, and he also demonstrated that in the olympics. Slovakia would have been the biggest joke without him in net. The US lost to Slovakia, and Canada barely beat them.

Raycroft > Pogge

I think Pogge for Rask would be the worse trade (had it happened).

Depends on how you judge trades.

In talent level, you're probably right. Neither of them panned out for Toronto, but at least they were able to get a conditional pick for Pogge. Raycroft was just awful in goal for Toronto, ending with the team having to buy him out (NO ONE wanted him), and him signing with Colorado. This deal was a disaster for the Leafs, and could not have gone any worse.

The US lost to Slovakia

Incorrect, sir. Slovakia did defeat Russia (in the prelims) and Sweden (in the quarters). They did not play the US.

I do agree with you that Halak is better than Price. However, I think the team has basically given up on Price. They are now (more or less) 100% behind Jaro as the starter. I'd be surprised if Carey got in at all during the playoffs, and he's likely to be dealt in the off-season. If nothing else, he'll bring a good bounty back to Montreal on account of his age and potential.

Archived