Premed 101 Forums

Huge Discreptancy...I need advice please

Hey,

So I got accepted into grad school in Boston and they require that I reply back with a decision along with a deposit within a couple weeks. The thing is, I am more keen on going to school in McGill in Montreal to study, but their decision is still pending because I am still completing my BSc and they want my final marks, so I won't get a decision till after the due date for Boston. What should I do, because if I don't get accepted to McGill and wait after the deadline in Boston, I won't have a school to go to. If I accept Boston and wait for mcGill's decision, can I still decline Boston? I just want to delay my decision till I find out from McGill....any advice?

Hey,

So I got accepted into grad school in Boston and they require that I reply back with a decision along with a deposit within a couple weeks. The thing is, I am more keen on going to school in McGill in Montreal to study, but their decision is still pending because I am still completing my BSc and they want my final marks, so I won't get a decision till after the due date for Boston. What should I do, because if I don't get accepted to McGill and wait after the deadline in Boston, I won't have a school to go to. If I accept Boston and wait for mcGill's decision, can I still decline Boston? I just want to delay my decision till I find out from McGill....any advice?

99% sure you can always put the deposit down and then back out if you change your mind!

You could also just come right out and ask them if you could have a couple of extra weeks to decide because you've also applied to schools in Canada and the application cycle is later in the year for Canadian schools. I had to do that when I applied to one American school and a bunch of Canadian ones, and they gave me some extra time.

You could also just come right out and ask them if you could have a couple of extra weeks to decide because you've also applied to schools in Canada and the application cycle is later in the year for Canadian schools. I had to do that when I applied to one American school and a bunch of Canadian ones, and they gave me some extra time.

This program is highly competitive and most likely they will give my place to another qualified applicant, so I doubt they would give me an extra two weeks. I will definitely take it into consideration nevertheless and ask the program coordinator about my options.

This program is highly competitive and most likely they will give my place to another qualified applicant, so I doubt they would give me an extra two weeks. I will definitely take it into consideration nevertheless and ask the program coordinator about my options.

How much is the deposit, and how much do you care about losing it?

I think it is an easy decision based upon what you say. If you can afford to lose your deposit, put it down and accept. If you withdraw, at worst, you forfeit your deposit and another competitive candidate waiting in the wings will be grateful. And of you cann ot afford to lose your deposit, the sensible decision still remains the same.

Its 250 US. That's what I'm wondering about, can I still withdraw from the program if I get into the other program of my choice?

I will also confirm it with the administration, but if I accept it and pay the deposit and finally get a decision from McGill after the deadline and decide to switch over to McGill, I can always withdraw from the program? I don't really care about losing the deposit, as long as I'm satisfied where I study this fall.

Thanks

I think it is an easy decision based upon what you say. If you can afford to lose your deposit, put it down and accept. If you withdraw, at worst, you forfeit your deposit and another competitive candidate waiting in the wings will be grateful. And of you cann ot afford to lose your deposit, the sensible decision still remains the same.

Seems this is the end of story then

Archived