Premed 101 Forums

Country specific IMG stats

Anyone know of any resources for country-specific IMG stats? I've searched these forums, CaRMS releases and website, and also a number of international University websites, all to no avail.

I've found stats on the general IMG applicant pool rates but was wondering how that was broken down into say Caribbean, Ireland and Australia... or even schools within those countries.

I think this information would be critical to anyone with multiple international acceptances. Would a particular Aussie school better prepare me to return to Canada, for example? (Ozztrek?)

I know this sort of thing is asked frequently (I've searched the archives) but I haven't found anything that addresses the question with this specificity in mind.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Anyone know of any resources for country-specific IMG stats? I've searched these forums, CaRMS releases and website, and also a number of international University websites, all to no avail.

I've found stats on the general IMG applicant pool rates but was wondering how that was broken down into say Caribbean, Ireland and Australia... or even schools within those countries.

I think this information would be critical to anyone with multiple international acceptances. Would a particular Aussie school better prepare me to return to Canada, for example? (Ozztrek?)

I know this sort of thing is asked frequently (I've searched the archives) but I haven't found anything that addresses the question with this specificity in mind.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Succesful match rates for canadians studying abroad.

Poland: 18%

Caribbean: 25%

Australia: 41%

Ireland: 67%

Stats compiled by Carms, pre-publication (so subject to change).

Jocks

Succesful match rates for canadians studying abroad.

Stats compiled by Carms, pre-publication (so subject to change).

Jocks

wow... so a caribbean grad has a 1/4 chance of getting canadian residency anyway? what's the rate for canadian grads then? cause there are alot of canadian grads with poor academics too....

wow... so a caribbean grad has a 1/4 chance of getting canadian residency anyway? what's the rate for canadian grads then? cause there are alot of canadian grads with poor academics too....

Do you mean Canadian medical graduates?

Lately, it's around ~95% for first iteration.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2009R1_MatchResults/38MatchReport_E.pdf

Then for second iteration ~80% of CMGs match.

http://www.carms.ca/pdfs/2009R1_MatchResults/47MatchReport_E.pdf

So correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like ~99% of CMGs match when looking at the 2009 stats?

At least those that stay in the match and didn't withdraw or anything.

So correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like ~99% of CMGs match when looking at the 2009 stats?

At least those that stay in the match and didn't withdraw or anything.

Kee-rect. Pretty much all of the Canadian grads (at least, historically) have matched (most in Canada, some in the US).

It makes sense when you realize that the Canadian government subsidizes medical school (this is why Canadian tuition is so cheap compared to, for example, Irish tuition). It would not be in the government's interest to have those people that they've put so much money into go unmatched.

So there's (usually) just enough match spots for CMGs (but not too many - but that's another story).

Kee-rect. Pretty much all of the Canadian grads (at least, historically) have matched (most in Canada, some in the US).

It makes sense when you realize that the Canadian government subsidizes medical school (this is why Canadian tuition is so cheap compared to, for example, Irish tuition). It would not be in the government's interest to have those people that they've put so much money into go unmatched.

So there's (usually) just enough match spots for CMGs (but not too many - but that's another story).

ahh makes sense... its just that given the relative competition for canadian med vs. carribean med.. I was half expecting carribean coming back chances to be like 1/10 or 1/20

If you get your MD from a Canadian school, you are going to match and be employed come the first July after convocation. Not doing so is quite the exception.

BTW I find country specific numbers quoted fascinating.

I am surprised Ireland and Australia are not more similar. I would have guessed a <10% difference between the two.

I skimmed over the match stats from this year but did not see the data quoted. I am going to have another look later on when I get my hands on the data again. As one who has been around pm101 for longer than I care to admit I know such numbers have been intensely speculated over for quite some time. It is really cool that they might be published this year.

They should have always been published. To not do so was a real disservice to the 100s of Canadians who have left home and have taken on enormous debt to pursue medicine. With these numbers potential Canadian IMGs can at least make an informed decision and understand the risk they are taking on. e.g. <50% match rate = horrendous odds considering the financial investment involved.

Based on the above I think Ireland >>> Australia and that you are nuts to go the Caribbean or Eastern Europe route expecting to return via CaRMS.

Be mindful that there are variations between schools in the different regions too. If you are counting all Caribbean medical schools in that list, for sure 25% is probably a reasonable number since a lot of them are very 'dubious' as the CMA likes to say. But if you're looking at Saba or SGU in the Caribbean, I think the CaRMS results are much more favorable, although still not 100%.

Archived