Premed 101 Forums

Ethical Dilemma (Real life case)

Let's not give the OP a guilt trip and burden this problem on the OP. The OP is an innocent victim and does not need to become collateral damage to sooth your social conscience. By doing nothing, the OP is certainly not supporting academic dishonesty. The OP is in the midst of final exams and needs to focus on that alone.

I do understand your point of view however.

I'm not trying to induce guilt here on the OP's behalf or sooth my social conscience, I'm merely being objective. If the OP is going to feel guilty, that's clearly their issue and not mine. They posted the thread asking for opinions and they got one.

he is or was a reaaaaally good friend of mine. I really thought he was a decent person before today.

Just to put it out there, could he just be using you? He doesn't seem so stable, and honest to skip an entire semester, then try to cheat. And if he's not compensating you for tutoring in any way... ask you to teach him a course in one night... and asking you to write an entire exam... he must be a reeeal good friend to to ask so much from you...

I thought he might be using someone who's good in school, as smart people are good to have around if you want to fool around, and have a good time...

I personally wouldn't report my friend. If you do report that you know the exam was stolen, even anonymously, the prof will probably make an announcement or something to the class and then your friend will know you reported him (or better yet, maybe he won't and a lot of people will likely be in for a surprise on that exam!).

I can't stand it when people cheat. It is so unfair to those who are trying to so hard to do well. It all comes down to you though - your respect for your friendship, but at the same time, your belief in the importance of academic integrity and an equal playing field for students. Most likely, I probably would not do anything, but I certainly can see why you would.

Just to put it out there, could he just be using you? He doesn't seem so stable, and honest to skip an entire semester, then try to cheat. And if he's not compensating you for tutoring in any way... ask you to teach him a course in one night... and asking you to write an entire exam... he must be a reeeal good friend to to ask so much from you...

I thought he might be using someone who's good in school, as smart people are good to have around if you want to fool around, and have a good time...

I helped many of my friends with different course materials, I am fine with that. But definitely not doing that exam for him and neither will I teach him anymore

Thank you all for your replies

To update. I decided to cut contact with this person but I won't report him. He is graduating this year and that biol is his last exam. I am also in the midst of exams so I gotta worry about them first.

I helped many of my friends with different course materials, I am fine with that. But definitely not doing that exam for him and neither will I teach him anymore

Thank you all for your replies

To update. I decided to cut contact with this person but I won't report him. He is graduating this year and that biol is his last exam. I am also in the midst of exams so I gotta worry about them first.

Good luck with your exams. Sorry you got into this situation. I think you're making a smart decision. Take care...

lol- great ethics question for med interview.

follow up: would you change your mind if his mother was dying and he just wanted to have this exam over with because once having his degree he has a job set up and he can finally support his minor siblings.

ergo is it right to steal bread to feed your family? jokes.

Archived