Premed 101 Forums

Backup Plans: M.Sc vs. Undergrad

scrub

What do you guys think would be a better? The reason I ask is because though I've seen multiple back-up plan threads, they rarely discuss going back for another undergrad.

I'd love to do a Masters in Medical Science but it won't bolster my GPA for Ontario schools (as far as I understand) which is only about 3.73. It'd probably make me competitive for going to the States but ultimately I'd like to stay in Canada.

Alternately, I could start a second undergrad, crank out two years with a 4.0 and be very competitive for at least Western and Queens, right? (assuming I interview well, of course)

EC's and MCAT aren't a problem, just GPA really... Ultimate goal is to practice in Canada... Multiple interviews coming up for Australia and I should get into Queensland no problem with my MCAT score. Ideas?

What do you guys think would be a better? The reason I ask is because though I've seen multiple back-up plan threads, they rarely discuss going back for another undergrad.

I'd love to do a Masters in Medical Science but it won't bolster my GPA for Ontario schools (as far as I understand) which is only about 3.73. It'd probably make me competitive for going to the States but ultimately I'd like to stay in Canada.

Alternately, I could start a second undergrad, crank out two years with a 4.0 and be very competitive for at least Western and Queens, right? (assuming I interview well, of course)

EC's and MCAT aren't a problem, just GPA really... Ultimate goal is to practice in Canada... Multiple interviews coming up for Australia and I should get into Queensland no problem with my MCAT score. Ideas?

what makes you think you'll be able to 'crank out two years with a 4.0" so easily?

The shortest route between two points is not necessarily a straight line, i.e., Australia brings a new set of problems to the equation.

Why not invest a year toward the second undergrad and reassess after first year. This appears to be the best plan to create and preserve a future.

what makes you think you'll be able to 'crank out two years with a 4.0" so easily?

It wouldn't be easy. That being said my last 3 semesters I worked midnights and weekends during the school year, took all 4th year and grad-level biochem courses, and maintained a 3.9. The 3.73 average is due to a brief physics interest that I enjoyed but ended up getting 1 or 2 really bad marks in 1st and 2nd year. Also, due to some family issues during University I ended up having to support some younger siblings and between that, work, EC's and school I wasn't able to focus on straight A+'s as much as I'd like.

Those issues are no more and presumably if I did straight school (maintaining EC's but not working/raising kids) I'd be able to come pretty close to 4.0. Particularly if I was taking lower-level classes.

Assuming I could get 2 years of 4.0, would that not help me more than an M.Sc?

The shortest route between two points is not necessarily a straight line, i.e., Australia brings a new set of problems to the equation.

Why not invest a year toward the second undergrad and reassess after first year. This appears to be the best plan to create and preserve a future.

Agreed. The Aussie thing is an option but the prospect of applying as an IMG is increasingly less enticing. I like the reassess idea... thank you :)

How important is it for you to stay in Ontario for med school?

For schools outside of Ontario, if you have a good MCAT and ECs, you will have a great chance of getting an interview. If you are a good interviewee, then you're golden.

My undergrad GPA was about 3.73 and I received interviews at Calgary, Dalhousie, Mac, and Toronto. True, I am currently enrolled in an MSc program, but AFAIK, that doesn't really factor into the discussion at any of those schools except Toronto...

How important is it for you to stay in Ontario for med school?

For schools outside of Ontario, if you have a good MCAT and ECs, you will have a great chance of getting an interview. If you are a good interviewee, then you're golden.

My undergrad GPA was about 3.73 and I received interviews at Calgary, Dalhousie, Mac, and Toronto. True, I am currently enrolled in an MSc program, but AFAIK, that doesn't really factor into the discussion at any of those schools except Toronto...

It doesn't matter where I go, I'd just like to end up practicing in Canada with some sort of option to apply competitively for any residency that I might like. I didn't get Mac or UofT this year... 34R MCAT and had some Mac med students and an AdCom doc from an Ontario Med School review my essay...

Thanks for the detailed response!

hi! :)

regarding the bolded part - please think of the following:

1) are these your OMSAS GPAs you are referring to?

- Yes. Regarding the final 3 semesters, I did 4.5 years, so I get to keep 1 yr of 3.9 (the half-year doesn't count for schools)

2) do you have any other years around a 3.8-3.9?

- No, unless I do U of T and I get to drop a bad course per year.

3) have you calculated your U of T wGPA?

- I didn't get an interview there

4) why aren't you considering an extra year? you could apply next year, see if you get into western, as that one would be your best bet, even if you have no other years besides last year at a 3.9, they can give you a conditional acceptance. your wGPA might also make you competitive at U of T. you could also apply to manitoba as they drop some courses if you are done 4 years.

5) have you written the MCAT? what were your scores?

-34R

and regarding the masters - it would only really help you for U of T as they have lower U-grad requirements for their MSc applicants, but why put all your eggs in one basket? you can apply next year, have another year with a 3.9, then do a masters if you don't get in, and re-apply - then you'd be competitive everywhere almost!

- But I already graduated :( So my only hope at producing those high GPA numbers with full, properly allocated courseloads is another undergrad... which I think is what I'm leaning towards

Thanks for the detailed response!

- But I already graduated :( So my only hope at producing those high GPA numbers with full, properly allocated courseloads is another undergrad... which I think is what I'm leaning towards

hmm, i see, complicated. ok, so unfortunately with this degree, you wouldn't be ok with the U of T wGPA anyways because they need a full course load in every year.

i'm still tempted to say you could work around this. your marks are good - a 3.7 is not easy to attain, no matter what anyone tells me, i know. you must have at least ONE other year at a 3.70 or higher to have a cGPA at 3.7, no?

i think you would have gotten an interview at western, but you got screwed by the MCAT? :( what is the GPA breakdown exactly, year by year?

you COULD do a masters, hope for UT med, also re-write the MCAT and hope for western, and in the meanwhile really improve your ECs + VR score and hope for mac too?

edit: do you have any good research experience? any labs/PIs you know?

It doesn't matter where I go, I'd just like to end up practicing in Canada with some sort of option to apply competitively for any residency that I might like. I didn't get Mac or UofT this year... 34R MCAT and had some Mac med students and an AdCom doc from an Ontario Med School review my essay...

It sounds really intimidating when a person with 34R MCAT and 3.7 GPA cannot get into medical schools....

hmm, i see, complicated. ok, so unfortunately with this degree, you wouldn't be ok with the U of T wGPA anyways because they need a full course load in every year.

i'm still tempted to say you could work around this. your marks are good - a 3.7 is not easy to attain, no matter what anyone tells me, i know. you must have at least ONE other year at a 3.70 or higher to have a cGPA at 3.7, no?

i think you would have gotten an interview at western, but you got screwed by the MCAT? :( what is the GPA breakdown exactly, year by year?

you COULD do a masters, hope for UT med, also re-write the MCAT and hope for western, and in the meanwhile really improve your ECs + VR score and hope for mac too?

Actually I interviewed at Western (my only Canadian/US one) and have some interviews for Australian schools coming up really soon. I've been entertaining Aus as a backup but being an IMG looks progressively less enticing... so if I come up with a decent backup plan I can save some money now and not worry about Australia/Carrib... which actually require some commitment before I find out about Western... hence me trying to figure out a backup plan when I may not even need one in 30 days.

So basically if I want Canadian options my best bet seems to be undergrad (maybe Nursing) which is weird for me to wrap my head around as an alternative to a masters.

So basically if I want Canadian options my best bet seems to be undergrad (maybe Nursing) which is weird for me to wrap my head around as an alternative to a masters.

If you're thinking nursing, the UofA has an after degree program in nursing. 2 years if you already have a degree (and apparently some courses like physiology might be able to transfer, so you might not have to take ALL the courses). Minimum GPA for entry is 3.0 (it is competitive though, but they were saying that it will probably stay close to that because they are increasing the number of spots). Last year it was a 3.2 and you were in.

Good luck and hopefully come May 14 you get some good news! :D

Archived