Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy Student applying to Med

jchoi

Hi all,

I finished 3 years of my Life Science undergrad (B.Sc.) at University of Toronto, and then went into Pharmacy (B.Sc.Phm) also at UofToronto. I have now completed my first year of Pharmacy school.

I would like to apply to med school.

Would I count as an undergrad or graduate applicant?

Would they look more favourably on my application/Would my chances be higher if I were to go back and finish my B.Sc.? Or would it be the same if I just continue on in Pharmacy?

Since I have not finished any degree (I only completed 3 years of my B.Sc.), would I still be able to apply to schools that require a 4-year Bachelors degree?

Please advise. Thanks! =)

You have an interesting and unique situation. I cannot imagine how you can be considered a graduate applicant. I would be inclined to continue my pharmacy studies as a Plan B, apply and see what happens. On s simplistic basis, the easy thing to do is to complete your B.Sc. but this does not advance your prospects should you never get into med school.

As regards your last question, I would ask that question of those med school of interest and get the information directly form the horse's mouth so to speak. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hi all,

I finished 3 years of my Life Science undergrad (B.Sc.) at University of Toronto, and then went into Pharmacy (B.Sc.Phm) also at UofToronto. I have now completed my first year of Pharmacy school.

Would they look more favourably on my application/Would my chances be higher if I were to go back and finish my B.Sc.? Or would it be the same if I just continue on in Pharmacy?

Since I have not finished any degree (I only completed 3 years of my B.Sc.), would I still be able to apply to schools that require a 4-year Bachelors degree?

Since neither pharmacy or BSc is considered a graduate degree, you would still be undergrad. However, since you havent finished either, you would NEED to finish at least one of them to qualify for the schools that require a bachelors degree.

Pharmacy is considered an undergraduate degree, so I would finish that and then apply.

Hi all,

You are still an undergraduate student. Be prepared to answer why you want to switch professional schools after only 1 year of study

Archived