Premed 101 Forums

Suicide/Crisis Prevention Hotline Interview

Byronnn

So I've been trying to find new interesting volunteer opportunities, and one that I'm in the process of starting is a position at the Vancouver Crisis Prevention Centre. I filled out the online application, attended and 'information session', and the next step is the interview that I have tomorrow.

My biggest worry is that I'm 18 years old and have not yet experienced the 'real world'. During the information session I noticed that nearly everyone was several years older and much more accomplished than I.

I tend to bite off more than I can chew, then chew it like a champ. I like to feel accomplished. Honestly that's been my motivation for most things I've done so far in life. The problem that this has created is that I'm not very good at answering personal questions about my experiences and how they've shaped me. I think that it's very likely that this interview will show me as very bland and naive. Perhaps I am, but that is largely why I want a volunteer position such as this one - to gain actual life experience. Understandably, I don't want to tell them that this is my main reason for applying.

If anyone has any confidence-instilling responses, I'd be glad to hear them.

Byron

I actually recently had a interview at a rape crisis centre in my town. Don't worry about seeming inexpereinced and such, they are willing to train you and I think they expect new volunteers to be very naive about the whole thing. The minimum age to volunteer at my organization and probably yours is at 18, so I don't think they will look down at you for being so young and I also think they will take your age into account and realize that you may have not had as many life expereinces as someone older and this will impact your answers to some of their question.

In my case the interview was just to get to know you and no one had ever failed or not been invited to volunteer with them just based on their performance in the interview. They just want to get a sense of your personality, what position your best for, etc. They would rather take you on as a volunteer and then let you go if you don't work out then just not take from the interview stage because you seem naive. They are willing to teach you the skills and I think the interview is just to get a general assessment of who you are.

To gove off a good impression in this kind of interview, make sure you know you're facts about the causes they address. My interviewer asked me very few personal questions (thinks like "What would make you a good volunteer here? What experiences have you had that have given you skills to work here? etc") and mostly questions about how I felt about their orgnanization and cause("What do you think the main stereotypes about sexual violence are? We are a pro-choice organization, how do you feel about that?, etc") so make sure you have done some back up research on their organization and have some general answers thought up of. Don't stress out too much about it and remember that in most cases, organizations like this need you more then you need them and they are willing to go a longgg way to train you and they don't expect you to be perfect from the get go!

Good luck!

Whenever you are asked a question during the interview that you feel makes you look inexperienced, or if you don't have any real-life examples to back up your responses, just remember to convey how eager you are to learn. I think most volunteer agencies are looking for a good attitude and openness to learning, above anything else. And if they ask for references, make sure you choose people who can vouch for your adaptability.

So I've been trying to find new interesting volunteer opportunities, and one that I'm in the process of starting is a position at the Vancouver Crisis Prevention Centre. I filled out the online application, attended and 'information session', and the next step is the interview that I have tomorrow.

My biggest worry is that I'm 18 years old and have not yet experienced the 'real world'. During the information session I noticed that nearly everyone was several years older and much more accomplished than I.

I tend to bite off more than I can chew, then chew it like a champ. I like to feel accomplished. Honestly that's been my motivation for most things I've done so far in life. The problem that this has created is that I'm not very good at answering personal questions about my experiences and how they've shaped me. I think that it's very likely that this interview will show me as very bland and naive. Perhaps I am, but that is largely why I want a volunteer position such as this one - to gain actual life experience. Understandably, I don't want to tell them that this is my main reason for applying.

Byron

Hi Byron,

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I'd be glad to help.

Tara

A suicide/crisis prevention centre position is going to be alot about listening. So if you can show evidence of good listening skills, then that would be great.

In terms of maturity, well, that will be important for coping skills. You will probably hear alot of things that you never imagined you would hear, and be prepared to answer how you will cope with these things. I know someone who volunteered at a suicide prevention hotline and she had to quit, cause it was too much for her.

Being older doesn`t make you naturally good at these things. And by 18 you may well have had experiences that do make you good at these things...and you will learn. So if you have an interest in this position, then give it a try. The worst that happens is you find out it isn`t for you and you find something else of interest.

Byron

Hmm, I've been an interviewer for a similar organization, and we always considered wanting to gain life experience a perfectly good reason for applying to be a volunteer, so I would still mention it even if you don't frame it as your primary motive. Implicit in that admission is that you're willing to learn, which is infinitely better than potential volunteers who come in and think they know everything there is to learn already.

Anyhow, for confidence instilling: what they're very likely gauging is your capability to be empathetic, non-judgmental, thoughtful, and -- as someone stated above -- a very good listener. Those qualities aren't ones you need a slew of accomplishments to have, and your interviewers are well aware of that. Maybe give some thought to situational questions since you seem to have been worrying over the more personal ones, and good luck :)

Archived