Premed 101 Forums

Summer timeline: Question for current U of T students

I am planning on leaving the country for three months during the summer and I am concerned about the timeline should I be accepted at U of T. Specifically, I am wondering if current U of T students can comment on when police record checks/medical forms were due last year, and what the procedure is like for having the police checks done (ie. Do I actually have to be physically present at the police station? How long does it take to get the forms back?).

I don't know much about the U of T med timeline, but I have done many a police check.

Basically, you go down to the police station, show ID, and they give you a form to fill out, which basically asks "what do you need the check for" and "do we have permission to go into your files".

And that's all you have to do! It usually takes them 4-6 weeks to complete the check (or so they say, in my personal experience it has taken closer to 8), and then you can either have it mailed to you, or go pick it up at the station!

You don't need to go to the police station. You send a form to some company with your info + check and out comes a police check. The rest of the stuff can be dealt with after your trip. I would not worry and let it affect your plans as a) you might not get in and B) if you do, the rest of the stuff can be dealt with later.

Yeah, the rules for this have changed this year. I know the faculty are changing how they administratively deal with the police check. However, I don't know the details. There is a chance it will be different from how it was in the past for us current students such as KT.

With this said, don't let this determine summer plans. Faculty will figure out a way to allow you to get the documentation without having it mess up your summer.

Archived