Premed 101 Forums

Unmatched 2nd round - What now?

oh, and as far as the post-match process:

From what I understand it is basically like a 3rd iteration of the R1 match process, except that schools can basically do whatever they want, as in there is no timetable, no ranking, and no match day. You simply apply to the programs that are left over and they have the opportunity to review the candidates and make offers to whoever they want.

---- again, this is only my understanding. someone correct me if im wrong

good luck!

There are around 10 spots left.

And I have to literally fight to the death the remaining CMGs as well as the remaining army of IMGs.

I'll give it a shot. Again. For the 3rd time.

Anyone know if MD degree is good for anything else?

And I really wish someone had told me that there literally would not be enough spots for all CMGs. I could have used the last 4 years of my life productively.

I bet your school is gonna tell you to take a family medicine spot. Don't.

I have a question: if you get a position outside the match in this ambiguous "post-match" process, are you still able to enter round 1 again?

Nope. Any postgrad training makes you ineligible for first round matching as a previous-year grad.

Quote from CaRMS:

You must have no prior postgraduate training in Canada or the United States to attain a position in the first iteration. Applicants with any prior postgraduate training in Canada or the United States are only eligible to apply to and attain positions in the second iteration of the CaRMS Match.

For the purpose of CaRMS, residency is considered post-grad (not a Masters of PhD).

You have many options. If you get a residency spot in the scramble, though, you become ineligible for future R1-CaRMS matching.

Many people do a Master's degree and random electives and then reapply. I've heard that this isn't uncommon in some of the 'competitive' programs like Ophthalmology. There is a one-year research program in Ottawa devoted to helping Ophtho keeners who ended up in your position. I'm sure similar things exist for other specialties as well.

I know McGill offers a "Masters of Experimental Medicine" program. It's a one-year program and I was considering that as a backup when I went through CaRMS. It is particularly attractive because it has a late application deadline. There must be other masters programs out there too.

I don't know what would be involved, but you may want to consider the US match.

Another option to consider is pursuing a career in industry (e.g. Pharmaceuticals). I don't know how you'd go about this, but a senior resident that I'm friends with said that one of his friends did that a number of years back. For the past few years he has made more than his friends who are in residency, and has not been on-call once. I'm told this guy is happy.

My heart goes out to you. I can only imagine how tough this must be for you. Things find a way of working out for the best in the end. Now might be a good time to seek out advice from your medical school. They will know people who have been in your shoes before and will likely give you better advice than those of us who use the forum can.

Best of luck!

Something on the website about a post-match process.

Does anyone know what the hell this is?

Would I be better off phoning universities?

I am about ready to give up and start a new career.

Wow, that sucks. I can't even imagine how you must be feeling right now.

Somewhere here, there's a post by Ian Wong (yes, *that* Ian Wong) describing what happened when he didn't match to the residency position he wanted, how he matched the following year and what he did with his unexpected year off. I'd advise looking that up, because I think you really have to think seriously about sitting out a year and re-entering the first iteration next year.

Unless you're really cool with doing a family medicine residency in a remote part of the country, that might be your best option at this point. Obviously I don't know your financial/social situation (nor do I care to) but I think you should give some serious thought to sitting out the match and trying to figure out where everything derailed for you , rather than scrambling in the scramble.

Addendum: somebody upthread advised talking to your school. Good idea, as they've probably known students in similar situations before.

I'm sure you've already spent time reflecting on and questioning where the wheels fell off -- poor interviewing skills (but you got into medical school!) , a referee backstabbed you (possible, but unlikely), God hates you and is punishing you for your sins in a former life... Sorry, shouldn't make jokes at a time like this.

Only you can decide whether a scramble position this year is better than another pass through the first iteration next year.

Ok I appreciate all the help.

But honestly.

1. I ALREADY have a masters.

2. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to take any goddamn family medicine spot anywhere. but there just isnt anything left.

(4 spots rural calgary, and 7? spots Mcgillwhich are probably french). I will look into those.

Oh, and the 4 leftover rural calgary spots, I actually interviewed for in the 2nd round. (there were 8 2nd round)

So I suppose you could say that my interview was just that bad that they didnt even rank me. Maybe it's true.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If i were you, I would find out about the vacant positions and contact them ASAP, request a personal interview or meeting and show them that you really want the position. I know a friend of mine did that a couple of years back and he secured a Royal college position in the scramble.

Good luck!

Oh, and the 4 leftover rural calgary spots, I actually interviewed for in the 2nd round. (there were 8 2nd round)

If I were you , THIS is where I would focus my attention. Keep calling until someone agrees to speak with you, and explain why they would not rank you when they still have 4 open spots.

There are probably only 2 explanations:

1) Your interview was really THAT bad

2) There is a red flag somewhere in your file that is keeping you from matching.

If option 2 is true, then it's in your best interest to find out what is holding you back before giving up.

Guest success100
There are around 10 spots left.

And I have to literally fight to the death the remaining CMGs as well as the remaining army of IMGs.

I'll give it a shot. Again. For the 3rd time.

Anyone know if MD degree is good for anything else?

And I really wish someone had told me that there literally would not be enough spots for all CMGs. I could have used the last 4 years of my life productively.

Well,if you got accepted into med,you can access to pretty much any other grad programs...i don't suggest you abandon,you took the place of someone who REALLY wanted to enter med school and in the end,you want to quit ?That means you flushed that 4 year investment and that makes you an hypocrite.Don't leave,try to find something you really like,you can't always get what you want in life and you did the biggest part,getting accepted......

Just smell the coffee and be happy about it.FM is also good,especially if you want to help others...i don't see what's wrong at not getting matched to one specialty,theres like 34 others to choose from and their goal is the same.

Well,if you got accepted into med,you can access to pretty much any other grad programs...i don't suggest you abandon,you took the place of someone who REALLY wanted to enter med school and in the end,you want to quit ?That means you flushed that 4 year investment and that makes you an hypocrite.Don't leave,try to find something you really like,you can't always get what you want in life and you did the biggest part,getting accepted......

Just smell the coffee and be happy about it.FM is also good,especially if you want to help others...i don't see what's wrong at not getting matched to one specialty,theres like 34 others to choose from and their goal is the same.

I think you're looking at his situation from the perspective of pre-med...which makes it difficult to fully appreciate his situation.

Also, I think the OP mentioned that he doesn't mind doing family...so his choice of specialty is not necessarily the problem.

(4 spots rural calgary, and 7? spots Mcgillwhich are probably french). I will look into those.

Brutal. You definitely need to get in touch with the PD at Calgary, as somebody already mentioned.

McGill spots should be anglo.

You obviously didn't read well.

And please, give us a break with the hypocrite thing...

At the risk of dog-piling...

I don't believe you understand either the CaRMS process or the situation that the original poster is facing.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If i were you, I would find out about the vacant positions and contact them ASAP, request a personal interview or meeting and show them that you really want the position. I know a friend of mine did that a couple of years back and he secured a Royal college position in the scramble.

Good luck!

By the way, that person who secured the position in the scramble actually applied to the same position in the second iteration and both he and the program went unmatched - so you definitely got a shot at Calgary, go present the best of you IN PERSON and it's much harder to say no to someone in person. IF you really want that family medicine position, you need to go after it HARD and FAST. There is no time to over analyze what went wrong (PD's won't tell you who backstabbed you/blacked ball you or whatever, trust me), you need to focus on what you need to do NOW. ACTION is the key word.

Ok I appreciate all the help.

But honestly.

1. I ALREADY have a masters.

2. I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to take any goddamn family medicine spot anywhere. but there just isnt anything left.

So I suppose you could say that my interview was just that bad that they didnt even rank me. Maybe it's true.

wow, just wow. That is terrible - I hope you figure something out. The entire CARMS process seems sometimes just way off base.

Curious, can someone explain what is going on here? I get that Andrew is having difficulty getting matched in the first and then subsequently in the second round. Does that mean people need to apply very broadly and to many specialties? And if they go unmatched and don't find a place during the 'scramble' they should do some extra work and apply in the first iteration next cycle of Carms?

Curious, can someone explain what is going on here? I get that Andrew is having difficulty getting matched in the first and then subsequently in the second round. Does that mean people need to apply very broadly and to many specialties?

I don't like the word "need" there, because some people manage fine with applying to few spots. But if you do so, you're taking a risk. I advise at minimum that you apply broadly to your speciality of choice, and you back-up with something not competitive and apply reasonably broadly to that as well (i.e. you can probably get away not applying absolutely everywhere for an uncompetitive back-up).

That's obviously the minimum. You may choose to do more e.g. have your first back-up as something also competitive, etc.

And if they go unmatched and don't find a place during the 'scramble' they should do some extra work and apply in the first iteration next cycle of Carms?

Not sure what the best advice in this situation is. The above is certainly one option and I can't think of many others.

Actually I applied very broadly for a 2nd round family spot. Which makes this all the more frustrating.

For real, carms is a bloody joke.

So sorry to hear your story, I don't have any advice, but I hope it works out for you. When I look at the people I know of who went unmatched in my class, they are some of the nicest, most capable people I know. The kind of people I would refer family members to. Carms just sucks.

Archived