Premed 101 Forums

For anyone who knows about the pharmacology program

I am currently in second year pharmacology. I had another interview with Dr. Karim a couple of months ago and he accepted me on the spot.

I had 86% average, but I was accepted mainly because my course load is heavy (currently taking 38 credits).

However this term I'm not doing as well in my classes and I'm afraid that my grade might drop below 85%.

I was just wondering once accepted, can they still withdraw the offer if my grade drops?

Thanks!

I am currently in second year pharmacology. I had another interview with Dr. Karim a couple of months ago and he accepted me on the spot.

I had 86% average, but I was accepted mainly because my course load is heavy (currently taking 38 credits).

However this term I'm not doing as well in my classes and I'm afraid that my grade might drop below 85%.

I was just wondering once accepted, can they still withdraw the offer if my grade drops?

Thanks!

No. Getting into pharmacology with 85% average is common.

Don't worry too much about having your grades drop for this term. Remember, you still have your finals left and you can still do really well on them if you keep on working hard.

I also remember taking 38 credits in 2nd year. I can't say it was everything fun. I wasn't doing as hot as I did in my first term, but I still managed to pull off an 86%.

And, if you're still worried about being kicked out, (I'm sure you won't be even if your GPA drops a couple %), apply for Physiology as a back-up come May when your final marks have been tabulated.

Also, be happy about your GPA currently. Delayed gratification isn't good for you, many people applying to med would wish for an 85%avg, and this might be your highest GPA year, so celebrate when you can.

• 2 weeks later...

I just graduated from pharmacology last year. I agree with previous posters that dropping a few percents won't get you kicked out of the program. However, be wary that 3rd year pharmacology program is going to be one scary hell of a ride. More lab reports than you ever thought you would be able to write. Especially if you are going for the honor's program (only recommended if you want to do research in academia or industry, not recommended if you want to do med school).

Having said that, pharmacology has consistently been the highest med school output rate (I think something like 10 out of 14 of people who want to do med got in on their first try). So be happy that you are on a good road to med school (and endure the hard ride)

I just graduated from pharmacology last year. I agree with previous posters that dropping a few percents won't get you kicked out of the program. However, be wary that 3rd year pharmacology program is going to be one scary hell of a ride. More lab reports than you ever thought you would be able to write. Especially if you are going for the honor's program (only recommended if you want to do research in academia or industry, not recommended if you want to do med school).

Having said that, pharmacology has consistently been the highest med school output rate (I think something like 10 out of 14 of people who want to do med got in on their first try). So be happy that you are on a good road to med school (and endure the hard ride)

Okay great thanks that's great advice! I was actually thinking about honour's, but if it's that hard I might just stick with Major's then.

Do you have any advice about the coop program?

Probably nothing to do with the program but more to do with the people who get accepted.

For a 3 credit lab course, Pharmacology felt like it was worth 9 credits. Your life's gonna be filled with lab write-ups and papers.

The lecture course isn't bad until you hit exam time. December exam's worth 33%, and final's worth 67% of your 6 credit lecture course. They exams are cumulative from Sept, so you're gonna have to know everything. I can honestly say that the third year April exam week was the worst week of my life. But hey, you gotta learn drug names at some point in your life, why not start in your undergrad?

Archived