Premed 101 Forums

How Did Yours Go?

med2014

How did the MMI go for everyone?

I don't know how I did :S Some questions I really gave a lot of thought and were unexpected. Plus my traditional interviewer was really no expressions, no nodding, no smiling. The 1st year students were very helpful and friendly and definitely made the experience a positive one.

Couldn't tell you how my MMI actually went.. This was my first MMI experience so it's hard to say.. Some questions were easier, but some were really unexpected and seemed to come out of nowhere.

But hey, everyone got the same stations so everyone must have faced difficulties at some point. I guess we just have to cross our fingers and hope everything went well.:)

Just out of curiosity, why is UdeM your top choice instead of McGill?

Two reasons:

1. I live in Montreal and always thought that it would provide me with the best medical education of any of the 4 med schools - with the bonus that it is in French.

2. This cycle, I am interviewing @ the 3 French speaking med schools, this weekend actually, and McGill has chosen not to interview me this cycle. :) (but if I were to be accepted at both med schools in Montreal, UDEM is for me)

Two reasons:

1. I live in Montreal and always thought that it would provide me with the best medical education of any of the 4 med schools - with the bonus that it is in French.

2. This cycle, I am interviewing @ the 3 French speaking med schools, this weekend actually, and McGill has chosen not to interview me this cycle. :) (but if I were to be accepted at both med schools in Montreal, UDEM is for me)

ohhh congrats for the 3 French speaking med schools! Where is your interview this weekend? Mine is at ULaval this Sunday at 1h PM and I am desperately looking for a friend lol

I am still not sure that I understand why you prefer UdeM over McGill. Is it because you prefer PBL over traditional lectures? Not that I am judging you: I am still trying to make up my own mind about which school is my top choice :P

I am interviewing in Montreal.

Yes, I prefer PBL but I am just more comfortable with UDEM. I want to integrate myself within the French speaking milieu professionally and would expect to have mainly a French speaking practice. This will be my opportunity to learn my profession in French from the beginning. Also, Sherby is my 2nd choice even if I were to be accepted @ McGill. Of course, any acceptance anywhere is a gift and privilege to be treasured and I would gladly go to any of our med schools, each one is fine. If I planned to study eventually in the US, I would choose McGill b/c of it's international reputation, but I intend to remain in Montreal for the decades ahead, so this is not a consideration for me. Also, this will give me the opportunity to establish friendships, professional contacts and connections to last a lifetime and I do not want to be restricted to the island of the English speaking community in Quebec.

My perference, in order, is UDEM, Sherby, McGill (not an option this cycle) and Laval. Laval is last b/c it is the furthest from home. I prof close to McGill med school recommended to me that as between McGill and Sherbrooke, I should select Sherbrooke! Interesting, ect, he likes their program and facilities.

I wish you success in this lottery we have entered and perhaps, we shall be classmates. I am looking forward to the MEM.

I am interviewing in Montreal.

Yes, I prefer PBL but I am just more comfortable with UDEM. I want to integrate myself within the French speaking milieu professionally and would expect to have mainly a French speaking practice. This will be my opportunity to learn my profession in French from the beginning. Also, Sherby is my 2nd choice even if I were to be accepted @ McGill. Of course, any acceptance anywhere is a gift and privilege to be treasured and I would gladly go to any of our med schools, each one is fine. If I planned to study eventually in the US, I would choose McGill b/c of it's international reputation, but I intend to remain in Montreal for the decades ahead, so this is not a consideration for me. Also, this will give me the opportunity to establish friendships, professional contacts and connections to last a lifetime and I do not want to be restricted to the island of the English speaking community in Quebec.

My perference, in order, is UDEM, Sherby, McGill (not an option this cycle) and Laval. Laval is last b/c it is the furthest from home. I prof close to McGill med school recommended to me that as between McGill and Sherbrooke, I should select Sherbrooke! Interesting, ect, he likes their program and facilities.

I wish you success in this lottery we have entered and perhaps, we shall be classmates. I am looking forward to the MEM.

I hope you know that Montreal also has ENGLISH speaking patients too. Whether your education is in one language or the other, in the hospital, you don't choose who you treat. English speaking physicians learn to speak french for their patients, French speaking physicians learn to speak english for their patients as well.

I also don't believe UDEM is a better Medical School than McGill. But I don't go to UDEM so I'll limit my judgement to what I've seen in rankings and reputation.

Just keep in mind that not all patients speak french and are entitled to the same level of care.

I was wondering if anyone had some arguments, in favor of UdM or McGill, that would not be related to the language spoken.

For instance, do you guys prefer PBL or traditional lectures? I've heard good and bad comments about both so I am still hesitating... Also, McGill has a 6 months of Introduction to Clinical Medecine that prepares students to the clerkships. Have you heard that this was helpful at all? WHat about the Physician Apprenticeship ? Is that helpful? Does it seem attractive to you ? Does UofM have anything that is similar to that?

Thanks! :)

I am not confident about my interview.

I did okay on 6 out of the 10 stations. The other four I either had nothing to say or said it in a way that did not make sense, or did not follow the instructions properly. I am still kicking myself for all the mistakes I made in retrospect.

Everyone else enjoyed it and found it fun however.

I am not confident about my interview.

I did okay on 6 out of the 10 stations. The other four I either had nothing to say or said it in a way that did not make sense, or did not follow the instructions properly. I am still kicking myself for all the mistakes I made in retrospect.

Everyone else enjoyed it and found it fun however.

Sorry to hear that you don't feel good about it, but everyone probably struggled on certain stations so don't worry yourself too much. I'm actually having a hard time gauging how I did, because I have no idea what they considered to be most important out of the things they are evaluating (the exact things we said, our composure, the ease with which we BSed with the people in the room, etc).

How did the MMI go for everyone?

I don't know how I did :S Some questions I really gave a lot of thought and were unexpected. Plus my traditional interviewer was really no expressions, no nodding, no smiling. The 1st year students were very helpful and friendly and definitely made the experience a positive one.

UdeM is my top choice... hopefully things turn out for the best! (sorry my english isnt the greatest, je suis francophone)

Your Englsih is flawless! I wish you luck in this lottery. Seeing where you interviewed, you are an excellent candidate. There is no way to tell how me did at our MEM, how you did @ your MMI and how we will judged finally. Best of luck. :)

Archived