Premed 101 Forums

accutane

ouuu! like what? i'm really worried about my hair falling out :confused: cause how are you supposed to hydrate your scalp!

I have dispensed this med to many young students - male and female - and so far no one has ever complained that their hair has fallen out. :) As for hydrating the scalp, use a very mild shampoo and conditioner and actually massage the conditioner into the scalp. Try to stay away from hair products if at all possible.

Dry skin is probably the worst side effect - invest in a good moisturizer (Aveeno, Moisturel or Lubriderm) and use it often! Like 2-3 times a day. Drink lots of fluids and get a good lip balm.

And if you are a female, birth control (or abstinence) is MANDATORY! This drug is a teratogen so pregnancy is NOT an option.

I have seen a lot of great results. Prevention is key for the most common side effects.

I have dispensed this med to many young students - male and female - and so far no one has ever complained that their hair has fallen out. :) As for hydrating the scalp, use a very mild shampoo and conditioner and actually massage the conditioner into the scalp. Try to stay away from hair products if at all possible.

Dry skin is probably the worst side effect - invest in a good moisturizer (Aveeno, Moisturel or Lubriderm) and use it often! Like 2-3 times a day. Drink lots of fluids and get a good lip balm.

And if you are a female, birth control (or abstinence) is MANDATORY! This drug is a teratogen so pregnancy is NOT an option.

I have seen a lot of great results. Prevention is key for the most common side effects.

ok awesome, i will keep all of this in mind :) thank you so much! i'm just wondering how many days later i start noticing the dryness, cause then i'll actually know it's working!

it's funny, i've never really had to hydrate my skin much with moisturizers because my skin was always so oily, no matter how light the cream/lotion it felt nasty. so it'll take some getting used to i think. but i REALLY hope this works, i'm desperate.

Benzoyl peroxide seems to work for me, so I'm sticking with my topicals for now.

that's great! :) definitely no need to go on meds. i've suffered from acne since age 17, and i'm 22 now. not even once in these 5 years has my skin been clear, and now my poor face has so many scars from past acne, when i look in the mirror i don't even see my own face. i've tried so many creams, given up and done nothing, home remedies, and lost my self esteem. i stay home as much as possible, and refuse to leave the house unless i have a thick layer of make up on my skin, which i believe only makes the problem worse. so trust me, this is a last resort, and something i'm really hoping will work for me, because i'm just tired.

I took accutane.

It wrecked havoc on my system.

I was fatigued. I couldn't concentrate on studying. My skin became fragile.

I'm a heavy drinker, but one bottle of beer has knocked me out and made me vomit. My family physician said that I might have a liver problem due to accutane.

I immediately stopped taking it, but the damage has already been done.

Acne disappeared on its own in a few years anyways.

Was it worth it? Not for me. It may have shortened my life span.

I took accutane.

It wrecked havoc on my system.

I was fatigued. I couldn't concentrate on studying. My skin became fragile.

I'm a heavy drinker, but one bottle of beer has knocked me out and made me vomit. My family physician said that I might have a liver problem due to accutane.

I immediately stopped taking it, but the damage has already been done.

Acne disappeared on its own in a few years anyways.

Was it worth it? Not for me. It may have shortened my life span.

:eek: that's extremely scary. i'm sorry to hear. what dose were you on!

I've had struggles with acne since my early teens and have considered accutane because nothing ever seems to work. I've seen some dramatic, albeit, not 100% satisfactory results (b/c it hasn't 100% cleared it yet) using benzoyl peroxide and taking an oral antibiotic (minocycline). However, the results have overall been pretty dramatic!

My suggestion before moving to accutane would be to try this if you haven't. Recently, I took minocyclin for about 4 months (2x a day), combined with:

1) 213S0SV4A4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Apply it in the morning after showering

-Do not wash it off, just rub it into skin and it'll dry off after a bit

2) Clindoxyl gel (which is a mix of clindamycin antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide)

-when you mix the two, it'll become kinda white but as you add gel it'll dry off a lot faster

If you have dry skin, MOISTURIZE, benzoyl peroxide is a drying agent.

That basically cleared almost all my chest acne. Not entirely, but I am seeing like >70% reduction in the severity. Before I started this, about a year and a half ago I first started using benzoyl peroxide (albeit inconsistently) and saw a pretty dramatic reduction in the severity of my acne. Finally, I started consistently applying this treatment about 4 or 5 months and am a lot better now.

It's crucial you do this consistently though or it won't work. I'd suggest doing it twice a day in the morning and at night.

Unfortunately, I still have a bit on my back and it's impossible to apply creams there (especially with me being lazy). I've thought about accutane because every now and then I do have some minor break outs, but honestly, I don't like the side effects at all. I don't want to lose my hair!! And of course, the potential think about suicide is kinda creepy, not to mention it can affect liver, makes your skin dry (and I already have skin issues!), etc.

Anyway, although what I've taken is pretty good - it hasn't entirely cleared it and so it's still a bit frustrating, but I feel so much better than before. I now have some bumps still remaining on my chest, that are skin colour (inflammation is all gone), I probably need to go see my derm again to check up on that.

//end essay

I knew a girl that took it in high school. She had moderate acne, but it really wreaked havoc on her self esteem to the point where she was depressed about it, so her doctor prescribed her the generic version of Accutane I believe. It worked miracles for her skin and self esteem! She had no side effects except her lips were always dry. Also, she started getting very sweaty palms and feet,which her doc said was an unusual side effect! You can try jojoba oil to moisturize your scalp. I have really dry scalp problems and it helped me. Don't buy it in shampoo form, as its not effective in a lather but buy it in just liquid form. Apply it to your scalp like a conditioner then rinse it off. I got mine at a health food store. Shea butter also apparently helps but I don't know how you go about applying it to your scalp! Good luck to you and I really hope the medication helps you!!

i'm just wondering how many days later i start noticing the dryness, cause then i'll actually know it's working!

I've used it, and saw results long before the dryness appeared! But I guess it depends on the individual...

it's funny, i've never really had to hydrate my skin much with moisturizers because my skin was always so oily, no matter how light the cream/lotion it felt nasty. so it'll take some getting used to i think.

Same here, but trust me, you will need moisturizer! :P The dryness was very managable, just make sure you don't wait too long before you start using it. As for the other side effects (ie: liver problems) your doctor is supposed to follow you closely by testing your liver enzymes, especially during the first month, to make sure that your liver is ok. Personally, I had no problems with that whatsoever.

I hope it works as good for you as it worked for me! :)

I've had struggles with acne since my early teens and have considered accutane because nothing ever seems to work. I've seen some dramatic, albeit, not 100% satisfactory results (b/c it hasn't 100% cleared it yet) using benzoyl peroxide and taking an oral antibiotic (minocycline). However, the results have overall been pretty dramatic!

My suggestion before moving to accutane would be to try this if you haven't. Recently, I took minocyclin for about 4 months (2x a day), combined with:

1) 213S0SV4A4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

-Apply it in the morning after showering

-Do not wash it off, just rub it into skin and it'll dry off after a bit

2) Clindoxyl gel (which is a mix of clindamycin antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide)

-when you mix the two, it'll become kinda white but as you add gel it'll dry off a lot faster

If you have dry skin, MOISTURIZE, benzoyl peroxide is a drying agent.

That basically cleared almost all my chest acne. Not entirely, but I am seeing like >70% reduction in the severity. Before I started this, about a year and a half ago I first started using benzoyl peroxide (albeit inconsistently) and saw a pretty dramatic reduction in the severity of my acne. Finally, I started consistently applying this treatment about 4 or 5 months and am a lot better now.

It's crucial you do this consistently though or it won't work. I'd suggest doing it twice a day in the morning and at night.

Unfortunately, I still have a bit on my back and it's impossible to apply creams there (especially with me being lazy). I've thought about accutane because every now and then I do have some minor break outs, but honestly, I don't like the side effects at all. I don't want to lose my hair!! And of course, the potential think about suicide is kinda creepy, not to mention it can affect liver, makes your skin dry (and I already have skin issues!), etc.

Anyway, although what I've taken is pretty good - it hasn't entirely cleared it and so it's still a bit frustrating, but I feel so much better than before. I now have some bumps still remaining on my chest, that are skin colour (inflammation is all gone), I probably need to go see my derm again to check up on that.

//end essay

lol, thanks so much for the essay! unfortunately i've tried antibiotics -for 6 months with no effects. even if i did see a minor reduction my acne just came back full force as soon as i got off it. i'm so happy to hear when people find something other than meds that works though so good for you! keep it up and stick to it. my acne is very persistent, like i said before, it's been 5 years, and i've tried anti-inflammatory meds also but nope. benzoyl peroxide i've tried in i don't know HOW many forms. usually stuff works for most people, but i guess i'm just unlucky lol.

I knew a girl that took it in high school. She had moderate acne, but it really wreaked havoc on her self esteem to the point where she was depressed about it, so her doctor prescribed her the generic version of Accutane I believe. It worked miracles for her skin and self esteem! She had no side effects except her lips were always dry. Also, she started getting very sweaty palms and feet,which her doc said was an unusual side effect! You can try jojoba oil to moisturize your scalp. I have really dry scalp problems and it helped me. Don't buy it in shampoo form, as its not effective in a lather but buy it in just liquid form. Apply it to your scalp like a conditioner then rinse it off. I got mine at a health food store. Shea butter also apparently helps but I don't know how you go about applying it to your scalp! Good luck to you and I really hope the medication helps you!!

nice story! :) and this jojoba oil stuff sounds good - a question though, does it smell funny? i know some people apply coconut oil or almond oil to their scalp but i would imagine that would leave a bit of a smell even if you wash it off. so does the jojoba oil leave your hair smelling wierd, even after you wash it?

how long do you leave it on for?

I forgot exactly what dose it was. It was a long time ago.

I think it was 40 mg.

eek, i'm on 80, haha, lets hope i don't die.

I've used it, and saw results long before the dryness appeared! But I guess it depends on the individual...

Same here, but trust me, you will need moisturizer! :P The dryness was very managable, just make sure you don't wait too long before you start using it. As for the other side effects (ie: liver problems) your doctor is supposed to follow you closely by testing your liver enzymes, especially during the first month, to make sure that your liver is ok. Personally, I had no problems with that whatsoever.

I hope it works as good for you as it worked for me! :)

ouu that's interesting! you saw results before dryness! but i've heard that your acne usually gets WORSE before getting better, is that not true? how many months did you have to wait to see results?

Recently, I took minocyclin for about 4 months.

I'm taking minocyclin right now! My skin is destroying my self esteem (especially right before the Toronto interviews this weekend). In a weird and twisted way, it's nice to know other people are struggling with skin problems too. I knew I loved this site for a reason.

ouu that's interesting! you saw results before dryness! but i've heard that your acne usually gets WORSE before getting better, is that not true? how many months did you have to wait to see results?

Again, every individual reacts differently, and I did not have severe acne, maybe that's why it did not get worse before my skin cleared. Although I remember one girl in my class who had a major break out when she started using it, so I guess that would be the norm. I heard (from my pharmacist?) that when you start accutane, all the zits/pimples that are "in you" just pop out all at the same time!!! That would certainly explain the breakout most people experience... which I guess would be worse if you have severe acne.

As for the results, try weeks (2 in my case) instead of months. But then again, I don't want to get your hopes up: it could take longer than that as everyone is different. Either way, I think a standard treatment is around 16 weeks? So hopefully it will work for you eventually. :)

Works for some people and goes badly for others. My family doctor refuses to prescribe it to anyone based on how badly people have reacted to it in the past. Might want to try stuff like Proactiv first before you go for Accutane.

It is a powerful treatment, not to be taken lightly. I certainly don't want to give the impression that it is right for everyone. But for some, including myself, it has been quite successful, without any major side effects. And usually, it is (and should be) used as a last resort solution, when everything else has failed.

I don't have anything useful to add, but I hope it works out for you anon1234!

thank you! me too :)

I'm taking minocyclin right now! My skin is destroying my self esteem (especially right before the Toronto interviews this weekend). In a weird and twisted way, it's nice to know other people are struggling with skin problems too. I knew I loved this site for a reason.

lol, i hope that works for you :) and yeah sometimes it's depressing to see beautiful skin all around you, as i have in my family, haha

Again, every individual reacts differently, and I did not have severe acne, maybe that's why it did not get worse before my skin cleared. Although I remember one girl in my class who had a major break out when she started using it, so I guess that would be the norm. I heard (from my pharmacist?) that when you start accutane, all the zits/pimples that are "in you" just pop out all at the same time!!! That would certainly explain the breakout most people experience... which I guess would be worse if you have severe acne.

As for the results, try weeks (2 in my case) instead of months. But then again, I don't want to get your hopes up: it could take longer than that as everyone is different. Either way, I think a standard treatment is around 16 weeks? So hopefully it will work for you eventually. :)

aha i see, so i guess all those nasty tiny ones under my skin will get out - i'm glad - i hate getting through one round of them only to my dismay, seeing another round of them ready under the surface of my skin, lol

Works for some people and goes badly for others. My family doctor refuses to prescribe it to anyone based on how badly people have reacted to it in the past. Might want to try stuff like Proactiv first before you go for Accutane.

i may sound like a priss, lol, but i've tried that TOO! *hides face* - yes it's true, i'm the girl who's done it all, haha

nothing has worked so far, hence the drastic measure

I was on accutane for 9 months and had no major side effects. I tried nearly everything else for the 3 years prior (20+ prescriptions and countless OTC treatments) and saw nearly no results. I eventually suggested accutane to my dermatologist and he agreed it was probably the best option. I think I was on 60mg per day, but don't quote me on that. I alternated 1 and 2 pills once daily.

I noticed dry skin after about a week, and from the end of the first month until the end of the ninth, things were pretty consistent. You'll get used to living with it. One thing that stands out as hilarious and disgusting is how I used to vigorously rub my face in the shower every few days, and have ~10 grams of dead skin come off. It's kinda like the bits left from when you erase a whole bunch of writing. I would also wake up nearly every night with my hands being red and cracked and burning horribly, make sure you have a good lotion. I used glysomed and it was great.

I weightlifted and ran regularily before I started on accutane and had no problems continuing to do so. I did find that my lower back was always slightly sore (esspecially laying down face-up!), but as with all the other side effects I got used to it after a few months.

My acne was not tooo horrible, probably about a 7/10 before I was on accutane. It leveled out to about a 5 after a couple months, then slowly tapered down to a 2, at which point my dermatologist took me off accutane. In the 2 months following, the last of it dissapeared completely and I had *perfect* skin for about 5 months. It has now been about 10 months that I've been off it, and I would say my acne is at a 1-1.5. It's infinitely better than it was before, but after that 5 month glorious period of amazing skin it's frustrating to see any sort of resurgence.

I got blood tests prior to starting, and every 6 weeks while I was on accutane. My cholesterol went up slightly from month 4-10, but it was still in an acceptable range.

I was told not to drink at all while on accutane because it was too much of a strain on my liver. But my liver is a champ so I kept it to 1-2 drinks, and ended up smoking reefer more instead. Oops.

Also, I found that I tend to keep a beer in my hand at parties mostly out of habit. I began to drink non-alcoholic beer and still had a good time. Odhouls amber and Warsteiner NA are still my go-to when I'm the designated.

Psychosis and a few other mental problems are listed as side effects but I'm pretty sure I never got those. My parents thought otherwise because I decided to join the army and suddenly became much more outgoing and ambitious, but having good skin is definitely a huge confidence boost. In the following months I asked out a whole bunch of super hot chicks and never got turned down until I tried for second dates. Accutane made me much more attractive but I'm still mostly an awkward wierdo. I have a girlfriend now but there's a solid chance that she's just attracted to my glorious face and my love for biology.

As long as you're a healthy individual willing to take the time to manage the side effects, I would definitely reccomend accutane. It's still a slow process, but take a picture of yourself once a month and you'll start to see the change pretty quick.

Hope my success story instilled some confidence in your choice of treatment! PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck,

Byron

ouuu! like what? i'm really worried about my hair falling out :confused: cause how are you supposed to hydrate your scalp!

Ya my hair thinned as my scalp dried up, lips and face sore from being dry and cracking, easy skin irritation... I also felt like it was causing me to be quite irritable but that could've been a side effect of the other side effects. It took a while to recover after as well.

Acne was gone though! It'd be tough to say if I'd do it again...

I just bought the oil and mixed it in with my normal conditioner. I tried using just the oil and it was a ***** to wash out, so then I mixed it and it worked really well. I put in just enough to keep it still in the typical conditioner jelly consistency and not completely liquefied. It smells...plant like if that makes sense? Not necessarily bad, just kind of like a grassy plant? If you mix it in with conditioner, the conditioner takes out most of the smell. There are some conditioners that you can buy made of it. As long as the conditioner doesn't lather up, the oil's properties are still there and working, although it's best and a whollleee lot cheaper to just get the oil. The best conditioner to mix it with is the Dove moisturizing conditioners I found also.

Hmm it was fine for me. Seriously think about buying Blistex (or your favourite lip chap) by the bucketloads. I remember running out a few times and resorting to using Polysporin on my lips just to get some moisture in.

And when they say no alcohol, they really mean it. Near the end of my treatment (just 3 or 4 months I think) I disregarded this, and ended up with the worst hangover ever... definitely not worth it haha.

I was never on acutane, but two of my best friends in high school were. Both had very bad side effects.

Friend #1: Was sleeping over my house, I woke up in the middle of the night to see her having a seizure on the floor. Called the ambulance, she went to the hospital. Apparently it was because of the acutane. She ended up having 1 or 2 more seizures. They think it was because right before she started having the seizures her dosage was increased.

Friend #2: Cholesterol skyrocketed from acutane. She promptly stopped using it.

It DID work to clear acne for everyone I know who's taken it. However, beware of the side effects.

Archived