Premed 101 Forums

Did I screw myself over??

So I decided to write the MCAT this summer (August 19th to be specific). I wasn't going to work, but just start on my 4th year honors project. I can pretty much work any hours I want but he said on average it varies from 30-60 hr weeks. Pretty much I can put in as much effort as I want and since I want to publish and really learn a lot from this, I plan on putting in a solid effort.

After hearing more about my workload, I started freaking out a little about whether I'll be able to handle this and the MCAT studying! I am volunteering Tuesdays 6-9pm, I play soccer Thursdays 6-9pm and I volunteer at the hospital 12-3pm on Fridays. With all that and work will I have enough time for the MCAT?? Or did I screw myself over by deciding to write it now? I'm a good independent studier but things like gen chem, orgo chem and physics do require that I study for them (some people I know find this easy and put minimal effort in while still getting an A, while I actually had to work to get the A's I got in some of those classes!). I am really good at biology, writing and verbal reasoning. I'm not taking any MCAT courses but I have all the books and many practice tests.

Should I postpone my MCAT to next year? For those of you that have written it, what was your schedule like when you studied for it and what would you recommend?

So I decided to write the MCAT this summer (August 19th to be specific). I wasn't going to work, but just start on my 4th year honors project. I can pretty much work any hours I want but he said on average it varies from 30-60 hr weeks. Pretty much I can put in as much effort as I want and since I want to publish and really learn a lot from this, I plan on putting in a solid effort.

After hearing more about my workload, I started freaking out a little about whether I'll be able to handle this and the MCAT studying! I am volunteering Tuesdays 6-9pm, I play soccer Thursdays 6-9pm and I volunteer at the hospital 12-3pm on Fridays. With all that and work will I have enough time for the MCAT?? Or did I screw myself over by deciding to write it now? I'm a good independent studier but things like gen chem, orgo chem and physics do require that I study for them (some people I know find this easy and put minimal effort in while still getting an A, while I actually had to work to get the A's I got in some of those classes!). I am really good at biology, writing and verbal reasoning. I'm not taking any MCAT courses but I have all the books and many practice tests.

Should I postpone my MCAT to next year? For those of you that have written it, what was your schedule like when you studied for it and what would you recommend?

sounded very similar to my summer. Between lab work (40 hr per week) volunteering (6 hours per week) and Princeton mcat classes (about 5 to 10 hr per week?), I felt that I was kept pleasantly busy without feeling overworked. I also wrote in late august. aside from regular studying, It might be nice to take a single week off before the MCAT. I got a great MCAT grade, I'm sure that you can too! :P

I was working 40 hrs/week last summer, as well as volunteering and involved in some other extracurricular activities. I wrote in July and again in September. I have a biological background. I had to re-teach myself chemistry and physics, and teach myself organic chemistry (no prior background). Needless to say, I only managed to scrap by the MCAT with a not so glamourous score (mainly VR that killed me on both exams).

I know it's easier said than done, but just manage your time wisely. It is very possible. I know some other people who were also managing multiple full-time commitments but did quite well on the MCAT.

You can also study at the the lab?

How important is the MCAT to you? What schools are you applying to? Is the MCAT merely a flag or has value in the composite score?

Perhaps cut back on some of your other commitments? Soccer? For example, I had to leave my soccer team for the summer (2 practices and 1 game per week, totaling 10 hours).

sounded very similar to my summer. Between lab work (40 hr per week) volunteering (6 hours per week) and Princeton mcat classes (about 5 to 10 hr per week?), I felt that I was kept pleasantly busy without feeling overworked. I also wrote in late august. aside from regular studying, It might be nice to take a single week off before the MCAT. I got a great MCAT grade, I'm sure that you can too! :P

and if any concepts bug you... DONT FORGET US PREMED 101er's who will help you make short work of problems :P

I was working 40 hrs/week last summer, as well as volunteering and involved in some other extracurricular activities. I wrote in July and again in September. I have a biological background. I had to re-teach myself chemistry and physics, and teach myself organic chemistry (no prior background). Needless to say, I only managed to scrap by the MCAT with a not so glamourous score (mainly VR that killed me on both exams).

I know it's easier said than done, but just manage your time wisely. It is very possible. I know some other people who were also managing multiple full-time commitments but did quite well on the MCAT.

You can also study at the the lab?

How important is the MCAT to you? What schools are you applying to? Is the MCAT merely a flag or has value in the composite score?

Perhaps cut back on some of your other commitments? Soccer? For example, I had to leave my soccer team for the summer (2 practices and 1 game per week, totaling 10 hours).

i dont know if that would be good if your PI catches you.. I would suggest keeping the studying completely separate from the lab, since you want your PI to love you...

Thanks UTPEOPLE I'll definitely be asking many a question to premed101ers!

I want to apply to all Ontario schools, so the MCAT is important. The score I'm aiming for is at least 10 in every section and a R in WS. I'm least worried about WS, BS and VR. I have a bio background as well and I'm very strong at writing and verbal reasoning and have some professional experience in both. Except for one C, I've gotten consistent A's and A+'s in university science courses so I am fairly disciplined and know how to study really well. I don't mind cutting back on outside commitments and even cutting down hours at the lab if I need to. I'd like to give everything my best though without compromising the MCAT, although I understand that might not be possible!

You kids these days can write your MCAT 27 times a year, can't you? In my day, the MCAT was only held twice a year, and we had to walk uphill both ways to get to the test centre. ;)

Sorry. I actually don't have any constructive advice, but I do know that MCAT scheduling is much more flexible than it used to be, your schedule itself sounds pretty flexible and it sounds like you actually have quite a bit of free time if you put it to good use.

Since you're open to the possibility of doing it next summer, why not do your absolute best this summer and re-write if you don't score high enough? It's easier studying for it the second time around and you'll have a greater grasp of the sort of effort required. I had a situation similar to yours and got a 33, rewrote the next year (studying 'smarter' though less frequently) and got a 34.

Thanks UTPEOPLE I'll definitely be asking many a question to premed101ers!

I want to apply to all Ontario schools, so the MCAT is important. The score I'm aiming for is at least 10 in every section and a R in WS. I'm least worried about WS, BS and VR. I have a bio background as well and I'm very strong at writing and verbal reasoning and have some professional experience in both. Except for one C, I've gotten consistent A's and A+'s in university science courses so I am fairly disciplined and know how to study really well. I don't mind cutting back on outside commitments and even cutting down hours at the lab if I need to. I'd like to give everything my best though without compromising the MCAT, although I understand that might not be possible!

Will you be taking a course (I dont think you are toronto folk, right)? seems like you have a plan, but be careful with the writing section. Doesnt matter if you're freaking Northrop Frye if you dont follow MCAT guidelines. It takes very little skill/creativity to crank out a good writing sample, so I'm worried that your experience in writing (and creativity) might tempt you into a non-traditional (and therefore MCAT unacceptable) way of writing the essay... If possible, I would urge you to still put in your all for research this summer, cause i'm guessing that you're gonna use the PI as a ref for med, and cutting hours is a pet peeve of all but a few cool PI.

Will you be taking a course (I dont think you are toronto folk, right)? seems like you have a plan, but be careful with the writing section. Doesnt matter if you're freaking Northrop Frye if you dont follow MCAT guidelines. It takes very little skill/creativity to crank out a good writing sample, so I'm worried that your experience in writing (and creativity) might tempt you into a non-traditional (and therefore MCAT unacceptable) way of writing the essay... If possible, I would urge you to still put in your all for research this summer, cause i'm guessing that you're gonna use the PI as a ref for med, and cutting hours is a pet peeve of all but a few cool PI.

I'm undecided about the course. Unless I sell my organs, the price range for the course will put me in debt (which I've avoided up to now!). I'm willing to invest money into tutors and such (I have a very close family friend that teaches the MCAT course for Kaplan and is willing to tutor me) but I'm not sold on the course for that much $$$. I know it's really beneficial for teaching you how to write for the WS and VR section especially, but I'm hoping I can get by with all the materials I have and other resources. I am willing to change my mind and take it if I find that I am struggling otherwise.

I'm planning on writing one WS essay a day to get ready for that. I'm hoping I can simplify enough to get it MCAT acceptable. I know a girl who took it last summer and she hasn't had a creative non-memorized-from-a-textbook thought in...her whole life but she managed an 42S!!! (She got 7 interviews and...7 rejections the year before!)

My PI is possibly the coolest supervisor ever and he probably wouldn't mind if I cut hours a little bit but I also want to publish and impress him so cutting hours from the lab would be my last option. We take field trips to the lake to canoe and swim during the summer, so I think the attitude is very laid back!

I'm undecided about the course. Unless I sell my organs, the price range for the course will put me in debt (which I've avoided up to now!). I'm willing to invest money into tutors and such (I have a very close family friend that teaches the MCAT course for Kaplan and is willing to tutor me) but I'm not sold on the course for that much $$$. I know it's really beneficial for teaching you how to write for the WS and VR section especially, but I'm hoping I can get by with all the materials I have and other resources. I am willing to change my mind and take it if I find that I am struggling otherwise.

I'm planning on writing one WS essay a day to get ready for that. I'm hoping I can simplify enough to get it MCAT acceptable. I know a girl who took it last summer and she hasn't had a creative non-memorized-from-a-textbook thought in...her whole life but she managed an 42S!!! (She got 7 interviews and...7 rejections the year before!)

My PI is possibly the coolest supervisor ever and he probably wouldn't mind if I cut hours a little bit but I also want to publish and impress him so cutting hours from the lab would be my last option. We take field trips to the lake to canoe and swim during the summer, so I think the attitude is very laid back!

Great! sounds like you have it okay then. If I might suggest, even if you dont take the course, consider spending 20 buck for 10 essay tokens at Princeton Review. I find that because essay marking is done by specialized people (who mark identical prompts over and over), u would get a better reflection of your level than with your kaplan friend (unless they have taught for multiple years), since kaplan tutors mark their own classes and might be subject to bias. That said, I'm teaching for princeton during the summer, so I could have some biases...Alternatively, you could post your essays on premed 101 and let us take a crack at it..

and the girl with 42S, was she a third year or really low GPA or did she have some sort of grating (homocidal) personality? its hard to imagine someone with 7 interviews and getting rejected...

Yea several people will be subjected to my lovely WS essays :P

The girl with the 42S also had a 3.9ish GPA and decent volunteering. BUT she was very very very cold and couldn't interact with anyone. She had not a single friend and I can't imagine her getting any really stellar LOR's. I once had a conversation with her at the bus stop and she mentioned how she "really enjoyed performing live dissections on stray cats in the neighborhood" when we got to talking about hobbies?!?!?! She also didn't really have conversation skills. She interrupted and didn't know when to pause and let someone else talk, etc. She seems to think that she was rejected due to discrimination (she's Asian) or because she's obese (doctors are there during the interview so she thinks they judged her on her weight and therefore rejected her).

One of the reasons I'm freaking out is because two of my friends backed out of writing the MCAT this summer due to not having enough time and they have less busy schedules then I do. I'm a bit of a panicker and this immediately made me panic when I went to my orientation today and realized just exactly what the workload was going to be.

The girl with the 42S also had a 3.9ish GPA and decent volunteering. BUT she was very very very cold and couldn't interact with anyone. She had not a single friend and I can't imagine her getting any really stellar LOR's. I once had a conversation with her at the bus stop and she mentioned how she "really enjoyed performing live dissections on stray cats in the neighborhood" when we got to talking about hobbies?!?!?! She also didn't really have conversation skills. She interrupted and didn't know when to pause and let someone else talk, etc. She seems to think that she was rejected due to discrimination (she's Asian) or because she's obese (doctors are there during the interview so she thinks they judged her on her weight and therefore rejected her).

One of the reasons I'm freaking out is because two of my friends backed out of writing the MCAT this summer due to not having enough time and they have less busy schedules then I do. I'm a bit of a panicker and this immediately made me panic when I went to my orientation today and realized just exactly what the workload was going to be.

I hope that this person has not turned you off asians... we're a happy group, generally... seriously? live dissections on stray cats in the neighborhood? let her think whatever about her weight, but plenty of chubby... and asian med students at u of t. I've always disliked people who play the race card the second that they dont get something (IT COULDNT be POSSIBLE that they just weren't good enough? lol).

Dont worry about people backing out, many people would rather wait for the most "opportune' times to do stuff (hence the taking hard courses during summer school... etc). The people who get into med learn to roll with the punches, and if you can pull this summer off, it will be an excellent example of time management that you can write about come the next app cycle.

Dont forget to share a few of those essays with us Premeders! :P as long as you dont mind the opinions of us young folk!

She should be arrested and charged with animal cruelty. You should have reported your suspicions to the SPCA or still should if you have suspicions that she is actually doing this. That is ******up.

http://duhaime.org/legalresources/criminallaw/lawarticle-135/animal-cruelty-law-canada.aspx

i did like 99% of this post, except getting a "great" grade.

I know a lot of people who did the "classic" MCAT + research (+ volunteering, ECs) summer. It's very possible, but it ranges from "hellish" to "not a whole lot of fun" depending on your other commitments/studying efficiency.

You should try really really hard to take one or two weeks off before the test to focus on writing practice tests...and do as many as you can.

Test-writing ability (and stamina) >>>> Actual background knowledge for the MCAT

She should be arrested and charged with animal cruelty. You should have reported your suspicions to the SPCA or still should if you have suspicions that she is actually doing this. That is ******up.

http://duhaime.org/legalresources/criminallaw/lawarticle-135/animal-cruelty-law-canada.aspx

Yea I was freaked out! I asked where her if she was serious and she didn't really confirm or deny so I wasn't really sure what was up. I really really hope she was kidding!

I know a lot of people who did the "classic" MCAT + research (+ volunteering, ECs) summer. It's very possible, but it ranges from "hellish" to "not a whole lot of fun" depending on your other commitments/studying efficiency.

You should try really really hard to take one or two weeks off before the test to focus on writing practice tests...and do as many as you can.

Test-writing ability (and stamina) >>>> Actual background knowledge for the MCAT

By hellish and not a lot of fun, do you mean the experience or the end result? I expect it to be on the hellish side since I'm done exams April 30th and heading into research work/MCAT studying mode May 3rd. But I really hope my score isn't limited to the range of hellish to not fun! I'm planning on taking a week and a bit off beforehand to really focus on the MCAT for sure. A 10/10/10 R is the minimum score I want so that's what I hope is possible with this schedule?

I think what will help me get through this is knowing that next summer I'll be spending it backpacking across Europe and hopefully (although chances are slim) getting ready to start med school!!

The experience ranged from "hellish" to "not a lot of fun." It's a bit stressful and it's a bit trying...but their end result was OK (As a cavaet though...most of my friends who wrote the MCAT are super keen...and scored mostly high 30s).

Personally, I took more than a week and a half off after my research and poster presentation..but I needed some time to decompress and then I wrote all the AAMC tests. This was probably overdoing it though.

I did MCAT + full time research last summer. The experience wasn't hellish, but it was definitely not the best summer ever. I would study mon - fri nights after I finished work, and then take weekends off for sanity's sake. I wrote at the end of August, and got a really good score.

I didn't take a course, and personally think they are way overpriced and not necessary. Especially if you have a lot of other resources (friends who have written, different MCAT books, this forum) to help you.

Archived