Premed 101 Forums

University of Sydney Medical School - Applications now OPEN!

If you are interested in applying to the University of Sydney Medical School, applications for the February 2011 intake are now OPEN.

AustraLearn and Sydney Medical School are working together to facilitate the application process for Canadian students. AustraLearn is University of Sydney Medical School’s application centre in Canada. You can apply now at: degreesoverseas.com

Program Overview

• A total of 310 students are admitted into the Sydney Medical School each year,

including 80 international students

• Program Length: 4 years

• Program commencement: February 2011

• Cost: $56,400 AUD annual tuition

Entry Requirements

• GPA: 2.7/4.0 or a 70% average and Bachelor’s degree in any field

• MCAT

o Minimum MCAT score of 24M with an 8 in each category

o Must have taken it within the last 2 years

o MCAT must be complete prior to applying, as the MCAT results are a required part of the application.

• Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)

oInternational applicants who meet the minimum GPA requirement and the minimum MCAT cut-off may be invited for an interview.

oStudents will be notified by mid-July, via email, if they have an offer for an interview. Interviews will take place in Vancouver in August 2010. Specific dates to be confirmed. Contact AustraLearn for details.

oIf you have specific questions about the MMI, please contact AustraLearn at Canada@degreesoverseas.com

• Overall selection will be based on the following:

a. Academic record/GPA

b. MCAT results

c. Multi mini interview (MMI) results

d. Applicants will then be ranked on the basis of their MCAT performance (50%) and their MMI performance (50%)

How to Apply

• Interested students should apply via our website at degreesoverseas.com

• Contact AustraLearn to receive a copy of the application at:

o Canada@degreesoverseas.com

o Toll-free 1-800-980-0033

Please do not hesitate to contact AustraLearn with any questions you might have.

Phone toll-free: 1-800-980-0033

e-mail: canada@degreesoverseas.com

Thank you for the information.

So of the ~310 students admitted into first year, how many successfully and sequentially complete all 4 years without repeats or dropouts?

I understand that there is a relatively high rate of students not moving on to subsequent years compared to med schools in US/Canada.

If you are interested in applying to the University of Sydney Medical School, applications for the February 2011 intake are now OPEN.

AustraLearn and Sydney Medical School are working together to facilitate the application process for Canadian students. AustraLearn is University of Sydney Medical School’s application centre in Canada. You can apply now at: degreesoverseas.com

Program Overview

• A total of 310 students are admitted into the Sydney Medical School each year,

including 80 international students

• Program Length: 4 years

• Program commencement: February 2011

• Cost: $56,400 AUD annual tuition

Entry Requirements

• GPA: 2.7/4.0 or a 70% average and Bachelor’s degree in any field

• MCAT

o Minimum MCAT score of 24M with an 8 in each category

o Must have taken it within the last 2 years

o MCAT must be complete prior to applying, as the MCAT results are a required part of the application.

• Multiple Mini Interview (MMI)

oInternational applicants who meet the minimum GPA requirement and the minimum MCAT cut-off may be invited for an interview.

oStudents will be notified by mid-July, via email, if they have an offer for an interview. Interviews will take place in Vancouver in August 2010. Specific dates to be confirmed. Contact AustraLearn for details.

oIf you have specific questions about the MMI, please contact AustraLearn at Canada@degreesoverseas.com

• Overall selection will be based on the following:

a. Academic record/GPA

b. MCAT results

c. Multi mini interview (MMI) results

d. Applicants will then be ranked on the basis of their MCAT performance (50%) and their MMI performance (50%)

How to Apply

• Interested students should apply via our website at degreesoverseas.com

• Contact AustraLearn to receive a copy of the application at:

o Canada@degreesoverseas.com

o Toll-free 1-800-980-0033

Please do not hesitate to contact AustraLearn with any questions you might have.

Phone toll-free: 1-800-980-0033

e-mail: canada@degreesoverseas.com

Hi,

I just received an email stating that the GPA cut off is 3.2/4.0, not 2.7.

Can you clarify this please? This is for the MBBS right?

thanks,

sv3

Hello Canada eh,

Thank you for your inquiry.

In response to your question we received this from Dr. Lyndal Trevena, Senior Lecturer and Director of the Office for Global Health, Sydney Medical School:

This is a very important question and goes to the heart of why we have such a rigorous admission procedure. Out of our whole student group we usually have less than five repeat in first year and this tends to to go down even further for subsequent years. We have a fairly intensive formative assessment process throughout the year to provide students with feedback on their progress. As far as students dropping out for other reasons, once again it is only a handful, and usually in the first six months. For international students this is most likely due to being offered a place in medicine in their home country.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. We are happy to help!

Best,

AustraLearn Degree Team

Hello sv3,

Thank you for your question.

I’m sorry for the confusion. Yes, the GPA requirement is a 2.7 out of a 4.0 scale not a 3.2. And yes this is for the MBBS.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Best,

AustraLearn Degree Team

Ah ok. The email I received stated 3.2 over the last three years of the most recently completed degree so that is why i thought i would ask. Thanks

Sv3

Hi Teamplayer7,

Thanks for your question!

If you wish to apply to Sydney’s dentistry program, you must go through ACER. Applications open in early May, with the deadline being the end of June. You will want to check the website for the exact dates.

While you are required to apply through ACER, should you receive an offer, you are more than welcome to nominate us as your agent. We can then provide you with pre-departure support at no charge, on behalf of University of Sydney.

Hope this helps, and please let the AustraLearn team know if you have any other questions. Have a great day!

Cheers,

AustraLearn Degree Team

• 4 weeks later...
If I have a 7 in verbal, would my application be automatically rejected?

Hello Keepontrying,

Were you referring to the MBBS or Dentistry program at University of Sydney?

You must apply through ACER if applying for Dentistry, and due to the competitive nature of both programs, a 7 in verbal would most likely not be high enough.

Please let me know if we can help with anything else, and thank you for your question!

Best,

AustraLearn Degree team

Archived