Premed 101 Forums

want to go to meds?

?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. ?

• yes
    • no

I don't think I want to go to med school, and I know I shouldn't, but I'll probably end up doing it because I can't think of anything else *worth* doing... can anyone relate?

I made a poll so you could reply anonymously

How come you know you shouldn't ? What does that mean?

I think many people will agree that getting your "feet wet early" is beneficial.

The volunteer experience is what you make of it. You don't need to talk with a doctor to know that medicine is the right career path for you.

when you volunteer, you dont get to "practice" doctor. Instead, you are checking if you are comfortable serving patients, some of whom can be very needy/confrontational

oh shut up all of you already.

nobody wants to go into "med", everybody wants to go into the highest salaried profession.

currently med = highest salary

if there were a parallel universe where philosophers = highest salary, then most of the people here would be trying to get a phd in philosophy.

..and this forum would be named phil101.

i bolded 'most' because there are some people genuinely interested in med and not just the money.

Hit the nail on the head

:eek:

Is that even possible?

Dumb question. Clearly, it is.

....seriously? Ok well he scammed banks and declared bankruptcy (and got away with it). I just don't really want to go around telling people how he did it. Mostly cause thats not conducive to my own safety...

But in terms of people that I legitly know that made a crap load, there is one guy in 4th year that is worth about $1mil (he sponsored my club :D), theres another guy that makes $40k a year while being a full-time student and is gonna put a down payment on a condo DT this summer, and the list goes on.... What do they all have in common? Compsci and/or management/economics majors. All at UTSC btw so you've seen them probably.

i dont know, if you have a bit of capital/expertise, opening a business can be much more lucrative. How many doctors live on bridle path? how many businessmen?

Average MBA salaries are much lower than average MD salaries.

But it's true that if You dream about making millions of dollars a year, go get an MBA. Problem with that is that you'll most probably end up in an office making 60k a year while your friend who went MD is raking in 300k ;)

I guess it's all about risk.

The only reason I make such bold posts about medicine being related to greed is because of my law vs medicine thread.

You have med students on there fiercely arguing and reasoning that medicine has the best job security and salary. And NO FU**ING WONDER they argue for this, because they wouldn't be in medschool if they didn't believe that.

Another thing, almost anyone can get an MBA, but not anyone can get an MD.

If business schools were as selective and exclusive as medical schools are, then MBAs would very most likely have higher salaries than doctors. Uncompetitive people can get MBAs, and that is the reason everyone talks about so many unsuccessful MBA grads.

My point? People capable of getting into medical school would most likely be very successful MBAs. And there's every chance in the world that they may make more being an MBA than if they were Doctors.

But there is no 100% guarantee, something an MD gives.

So next time someone tells you "I'm in medschool", reply with, "you greedy son of a *****".

im pretty sure most of the people dont wanna go into med just for the money... cmon there are other professions that pay higher than average salaries...

I also thought you were talking about MBA>>MD.

What you saying is somewhat illogical, people don't go for MDs for the money because there are jobs that are payed less? (but still above the average).

I think for pretty much everyone 300k>>> 100k

My point? People capable of getting into medical school would most likely be very successful MBAs.

I don't agree. Both fields require different personalities and skills. Let's face it, for med school it's 90% cramming your textbook + 10% volunteering and stuff like that. For a successful business it's much more complicated than that.

No dawg, it's about the drive for money. I know the biggest retards in highschool who got miraculously got smarter in undergrad because suddenly wanted to go to medschool for some odd reason.

Well even the biggest retards can cram textbooks...

If you think anyone who got into meds can open a big business, you're wrong. The business world is extremely competitive.

i dont know, if you have a bit of capital/expertise, opening a business can be much more lucrative. How many doctors live on bridle path? how many businessmen?

99.5 percentile business grads will make millions, 50 percentile probably 60K

50 percentile MD makes 300K.

But MD's have the best of both worlds...if you come up with a brilliant business idea, you could still do it. Just take some time off your practice...no one is going to mind!! An MD can always build a business empire, but a business man can never be a doctor (unless they start at MS1)

Archived