Premed 101 Forums

Transition from High School to University

Kind of nervous now that I will be starting my four year undergrad in UTSC thsi coming September. Just want to ask some questions relating to transition from high school to university.

1. I will be living in residence. Anything I should bring? Anything in particular important?

--> Although this is not my first time moving, this is my first time going away from home. I want to limit my belongings to as little as possible (maybe 1 backpack and 2 luggages).

2. How can I improve my work ethics? Is it just pure determination? Or is there any study technique I should use?

--> I do NOT have good work ethics and have only managed to pull off a 90% in grade 12 (I pretty much study everything the day before the test). I guess the reasons I can still go to university are the frequency of the tests (even if I don't study till before the test, I would only have 1 chapter worth of material to study), the general low standards (the test questions are fairly straight-forward), and the prepared notes (most teachers "extract the essence" from the textbook, saving me hours of work).

Questions for current UTSC students:

1. How can I get to residence from airport?

--> I will be going there alone and may be bringing quite some belongings. Is taking taxi the easiest way to get to the residence? I read on UTSC website that it costs around 70 dollars from airport to residence.

2. Where can I find volunteering opportunities?

--> I have not been doing volunteering for quite some time now (just pure laziness) and have been pretty much hearing the volunteering opportunities from friends.

3. Where can I know about the available clubs on campus?

--> I have no idea what I like to join and may need some "directories" on the available clubs on campus.

4. What meal plan should I choose? Or should I even choose a meal plan?

--> There are several plans available ranging from 2390 to 150 dollars. Which plan should I choose if I were to eat everyday on campus? I can cook for myself (at least edible), but I am worried about doing grocery and the necessary cooking utensils and ingredients. Although I did hear about the weekly grocery bus, as a first year student who has never been to Toronto, should I cook for myself?

Thank you for reading. Any advice or personal anecdotes is welcomed.

Kind of nervous now that I will be starting my four year undergrad in UTSC thsi coming September. Just want to ask some questions relating to transition from high school to university.

1. I will be living in residence. Anything I should bring? Anything in particular important?

--> Although this is not my first time moving, this is my first time going away from home. I want to limit my belongings to as little as possible (maybe 1 backpack and 2 luggages).

Bring whatever you need... clothes, books, etc.

2. How can I improve my work ethics? Is it just pure determination? Or is there any study technique I should use?

--> I do NOT have good work ethics and have only managed to pull off a 90% in grade 12 (I pretty much study everything the day before the test). I guess the reasons I can still go to university are the frequency of the tests (even if I don't study till before the test, I would only have 1 chapter worth of material to study), the general low standards (the test questions are fairly straight-forward), and the prepared notes (most teachers "extract the essence" from the textbook, saving me hours of work).

Will leave for someone else...

--> I will be going there alone and may be bringing quite some belongings. Is taking taxi the easiest way to get to the residence? I read on UTSC website that it costs around 70 dollars from airport to residence.

Taxi, Toronto is pretty lame for not having subway connection with airport (not that the subway is connected to UTSC anyway)

--> I have not been doing volunteering for quite some time now (just pure laziness) and have been pretty much hearing the volunteering opportunities from friends.

Whatever you're interested in. Tons around that area.

--> I have no idea what I like to join and may need some "directories" on the available clubs on campus.

Wait till you get there.[/b]

--> There are several plans available ranging from 2390 to 150 dollars. Which plan should I choose if I were to eat everyday on campus? I can cook for myself (at least edible), but I am worried about doing grocery and the necessary cooking utensils and ingredients. Although I did hear about the weekly grocery bus, as a first year student who has never been to Toronto, should I cook for myself?

If you can avoid getting a meal plan, you'll be loads healthier.

Thank you for reading. Any advice or personal anecdotes is welcomed.

I think the best way to improve your work ethic might be to develop a routine that involves you going to the library or otherwise someplace nearby, quiet, and away from all distractions for a certain amount of time every day. If you can get yourself away from residence and to a place where all you really have to do is school work, you may find yourself studying and doing your work without having to force yourself.

Lucky guy! I'd love to be in residence. I suggest you bring whatever you need to live (lol) and the computer.

Work ethic is critical. Mine is not so good. I spend forever studying but often don't focus on the actual work and I'm desperately trying to change that. I'll tell you more about it when I actually see you this fall. I can guarantee that studying the night before will not get you a 90 in university. Also, I suggest finding like minded friends. Some people do nothing but party, don't study at all, and then when they're in 4th yr they realize that they're in trouble. If you keep those guys as close friends, you can be tempted to spend all day, every day, out. So, I guess, a balance is needed. I personally avoid the pre med gunners even more!

There is a list of clubs on the UTSC site. It's useless. Most of the info is outdated- some of the clubs don't exist. During the first week, the various clubs will be putting up displays on campus to lure the freshies.

Jobs as well as volunteering positions will show up on :

http://webapps.utsc.utoronto.ca/aaccweb/

You need to be registered student before you can access them. GL

Bring whatever will make you comfortable. Just make sure it's legal :P

I think work ethic is mostly determination. It's also part planning and part fear. Fear is a great motivator.

Try to make a study schedule for the week, and stick to it. Easier said than done, but that's what you should do.

Also, remember why you're in school. Living in residence, you'll be heavily distracted by people who are there to **** around and have fun...But don't be one of those guys/girls. Don't be ashamed if you're studying on a friday night.

Do not wait till the day before, because unlike high school, most of your tests/exams in undergrad will cover *tons* of material. Also, the tests may not be that straightforward, so I suggest asking questions, whether in-lecture, post-lecture (go up to your prof after the class), or in the prof's office hours.

Thanks for the advice.

So stuffs to bring: extension cord, screw driver (no idea what this is for), and can opener.

Work Ethics:

1. Find a quite place

2. Find "minded friends"/Stay away from party people

3. Time Management skills/Stick to schedule

4. Ask questions whenever possible

Clubs: First week of school

Volunteer: Wait till I get there...

Anything else I should add?

Also, one more questions. Since I'm living in a single room, can I lock my own room? It would save lots of troubles if I can lock my own room.

And, for people currently in UTSC, mind telling me what clubs you are in? Thanks.

The screwdriver is for when people's desk chairs start randomly falling apart, or when someone decides they need another bookshelf and they get it home and realize there is some assembly required. Both of those things happen more than you might think. And also for taking things apart on April Fool's day, if you are so inclined.

And at most places if you have a single room you can lock your door, but I have no idea how it's set up where you're going. I would assume that's the case, though.

The screwdriver is for when people's desk chairs start randomly falling apart, or when someone decides they need another bookshelf and they get it home and realize there is some assembly required. Both of those things happen more than you might think. And also for taking things apart on April Fool's day, if you are so inclined.

And at most places if you have a single room you can lock your door, but I have no idea how it's set up where you're going. I would assume that's the case, though.

That one made my day. lol.

I would be sure to have a screwdriver handy. I think it will be another twisted way to socialize.

Hey, I'm finishing my 4th year at UTSC. And I'm trying to procrastinate right now so I'll answer your questions.

Pack light. Really light. Theres not much room. And after 1st year you'll realize there are apartments nearby that are much better at the same rate. :P

The first test will whip that out for ya'. I clearly remember my first midterm. I didn't get raped but if I had literally 2 hrs less cramming I would have been. I generally cram for everything myself though. It DOES work. But YMMV.

Yea it does cost that much. Or you could try taking the bus to the subway station, then go to Kennedy stn and catch the 116E bus and make it there for $(whatever the current TTC rate is).

I'd say don't worry about that yet for 1st year. But Centenary hospital is pretty much right by campus. Plus theres always lab work.

Almost all the clubs are lame. The campus has no student spirit at all. We're drones. Best one to join is probably EMRG volunteering.

Campus food SUCCCKKSSS! And I'm generally very unpicky with food. Theres plenty of grub all around the campus and a grocery store is probably nearby (nothing is coming to mind right now). Just take the minimum meal plan just as a backup. The only advantage to the meal plan btw is that you don't pay tax. Otherwise I could buy the same food you'd buy.

Since you're not even here yet, I'll spare you my (rather depressing) anecdotes.

Let me know if you need any help. :)

Lucky guy! I'd love to be in residence. I suggest you bring whatever you need to live (lol) and the computer.

Work ethic is critical. Mine is not so good. I spend forever studying but often don't focus on the actual work and I'm desperately trying to change that. I'll tell you more about it when I actually see you this fall. I can guarantee that studying the night before will not get you a 90 in university. Also, I suggest finding like minded friends. Some people do nothing but party, don't study at all, and then when they're in 4th yr they realize that they're in trouble. If you keep those guys as close friends, you can be tempted to spend all day, every day, out. So, I guess, a balance is needed. I personally avoid the pre med gunners even more!

There is a list of clubs on the UTSC site. It's useless. Most of the info is outdated- some of the clubs don't exist. During the first week, the various clubs will be putting up displays on campus to lure the freshies.

Jobs as well as volunteering positions will show up on :

http://webapps.utsc.utoronto.ca/aaccweb/

You need to be registered student before you can access them. GL

Yo, speak for yourself only :cool:. And I disagree, the freshman dorm parties are pretty awesome. This year they actually started brewing their own beer! I'd go myself but I feel too old there...

Yeah you can definitely lock your room. That brings about another tip. Always keep your keys on you, either around your neck (if they supply a lanyard) or in your pocket. Holding them in your hands is a great way to lose them. :P

Oh, so true. And at some places the room doors are always locked, and there's no way to unlock them.

And by no way to unlock them, I mean no way to make them stay unlocked. You can, of course, get in and out of your room. I'm not even making sense anymore, I think.

Yo, speak for yourself only :cool:. And I disagree, the freshman dorm parties are pretty awesome. This year they actually started brewing their own beer! I'd go myself but I feel too old there...

You got 90 by studying only the day before? What kind of creature are you?

I would- quite literally- totally die and fail. And so would everyone else I know except for, apparently, you. :P

I never got to experience freshie parties. :( The donkey registrar put me straight into second year.

I can't believe I never considered Centenary Hospital. Especially considering the bus announces it twice daily when it goes by. lol

You got 90 by studying only the day before? What kind of creature are you?

I would- quite literally- totally die and fail. And so would everyone else I know except for, apparently, you. :P

I never got to experience freshie parties. :( The donkey registrar put me straight into second year.

I can't believe I never considered Centenary Hospital. Especially considering the bus announces it twice daily when it goes by. lol

Yea I just noticed something in what you said. When I study, the time that I spent studying is pure and absolute concentration. Trust me you haven't seen me study. Try to catch a glimpse of me (but don't talk to me) an hour before an exam. I won't even know the day, the time, my student #, anything. All I'll know is the material, LOL. I have no idea how else you would absorb the info to the depth needed otherwise by glazing over it. :P

Yea I just noticed something in what you said. When I study, the time that I spent studying is pure and absolute concentration. Trust me you haven't seen me study. Try to catch a glimpse of me (but don't talk to me) an hour before an exam. I won't even know the day, the time, my student #, anything. All I'll know is the material, LOL. I have no idea how else you would absorb the info to the depth needed otherwise by glazing over it. :P

Please teach me these mad skillz so they linger on on campus when you're gone.

I will leave now, and prepare for the brutal exam on Monday. Adios amigos.

It seems people are busy preparing finals...

I think I will try the campus food in my first year since the city is still too foreign to me, and hopefully I can move out of residence after one year.

The first thing you should do is punch the biggest guy you see in the face. This will teach the other students to respect you and mind your boundaries. Also, be careful of who's behind you when you bend over in the showers. Finally, read and memorize this guide: http://pointlessbanter.net/2008/10/14/how-to-make-your-own-shank/

And LOL on that one!!!

Archived