Premed 101 Forums

MD/PhD students - do they really have a leg up on the rest of us?

Prestige is so stupid. I think any PhD student that still loves research, and was offered a tenure track position or even a good post doc that would lead them to a job they like, would not get an MD. People go into an MD after a phD because they either can not find a job, don't like their job, want more money, or to add to their research by adding clinical experience. I think people that just spent 10yrs after HS in school, piss poor, don't really care for "prestige" but $ and security. Undergrads care more for prestige because they are nieve and still usually have their parents taking care of them.

I just finished my PhD in May and I took this post-doc because my current PI is a great scientific mentor, understands the problems in the field with regard to obtaining meaningful employment, and will support me no matter what I choose to do after my contract.

I can tell you there are 3 key reasons why I am leaving research;

1 - I want my day-to-day activities to be more closely situation to end point service delivery which makes a difference in peoples lives. Research is absolutely necessary to develop those processes but what motivates me is the end result and seeing the positive effects they register.

2 - There's no way of sugar coating this - job opportunities in research are terrible right now. The minimal expectations after a PhD are 2 post docs. So we're talking 6+ years in the biological sciences.. after your PhD....and even then you're likely to land, at best, an adjunct position with no benefits or job security. I'm getting married soon and we want to have some sort of stability by the time I'm 40. Academia will not supply this for our generation.

3. Inter-personal connections. There are very few in research. You connect with the students you mentor and to a very small extent those that you work with (eg. PIs, other colleagues) . I want to work with the public in the meaningful way that has the potential to positively impact the lives of others every single day. I don't need a massive success very day, just the possibility of one that will help someone out... immediately. You don't have that with fundamental research. The positive impacts are 20 years down the road.... if ever.

Other small motivators are a desire to incorporate my training in to elements of my hobbies. I love boxing, for example. One problem with all the cards that get put on is the availability of enthusiastic medical doctors to get boxing commissions to sanction events. I'd love to participate in events on this level... which is why i'm drawn to sports medicine.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived