Premed 101 Forums

Nucleophillic attack on epoxides

The Law

Law with one week to go, I would ease off on trying to figure out every little concept you missed. Maybe still do one or two full lengths but spend the downtime doing quick reviews of things you do know.

And relax! ;)

/on the morning of my MCAT, I went through my hormone flashcards... So pointless :P

Thanks guys!! lol, I will try not to be too crazy and realize I can't possibly learn every single fact out there! haha.

I just did a full length, and it went really well... so I'm hoping I can keep it up. I am still weaker in PS than the other sections, so will try to focus on that tonight and review.

How do you know which carbon will be the one attacked?

EpoxOpen.png

Two different sets of conditions: Under basic conditions, opening the epoxide follows the same rules as an SN2: it goes after the least sterically hindered site. So for propylene oxide, for example, the nucleophile attacks the carbon on the end preferentially.

Under acidic conditions, you protonate the epoxide oxygen and the situation resembles attack on a bromonium ion or mercuronium ion - it goes after the most substituted carbon, because that's the one that best stabilizes positive charge.

Hope this is helpful - James

Archived