Premed 101 Forums

Housing in toronto

I'll be doing visiting electives in August and September at UofT at Mt. Sinai and Western General. I'm having a hard time finding rent during September. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I'm doing a surgery elective at UofT. What time does a typical day start (ie prerounds). The TTC doesnt start running till 5AM so I'm hoping there will be enough time to commute if I cant find a place that is walking distance.

Thanks!

I had the exact same problem last year! UofT electives has a website that lists people who can accomodate visiting elective students. I know people who found accomodations through this website. It can be found at: http://www.md.utoronto.ca/students/visiting/housing.htm

The TTC however, did not run early enough for me to go to rounds, but that obviously depends on which hospital you are at and which team you are on.

I had luck going on the facebook group "Canadian Medical Students on electives" - high chance that a U of T clerk will be gone during that time and will be willing to sublet to you. Sucks with the no TTC thing, though. I ended up taking a taxi some mornings. Even though they told me that I would be excused from rounds if I couldn't get there early, I felt that I would look worse if I didn't. Sucked it up and spent the $ on a taxi... who said the carms process is not expensive!

Surgical rounds will depend on your team, patient load, etc. The earliest I ever started was at 5:30 am.

FYI, the Yonge/University/Spadina line (north/south line) doesn't start until 6am, but before that there is a bus that goes up/down Yonge.

I don't know what happens on the east/west line or on the Spadina side, but you are covered up to Yonge and Finch with early bus service.

Archived