Premed 101 Forums

A dark night of the soul.

Hi guys, Allow me to introduce myself. I have been a long time reader of these forums and a very rare poster. The only times I have posted was to ask for advice, and this time it's no exception.

I have had a very very poor undergrad. It took me 5 years to get my Honors BSc from UofT and even then, my cumulative gpa is a miserable 2.23. I will not go into details as to how and why I am in the position I am, but needless to say it was of my own doing. I've accepted it and ready to move on.

After (expected) failures at trying to get into a Masters program, I somehow managed to get into the Clinical Research program at Humber for September. The program is fairly competitive, primarily because the job prospects are extremely high with excellent salaries. But my dream is to be a physician, and I'm trying to get back on my feet after falling on my face during undergrad.

My question is this. Do I just give up and go into Clinical research? or do I apply for two more years of undergrad? or Do I instead try and get a second degree? I plan on applying for this cycle of admissions at Saba (a Caribbean medical school, and one of the few that offers respectable Canadian residency positions) but people tell me my chances of getting in are slim to none.

Any advice from you guys is much appreciated. I don't think I've had a good night's sleep in months because of how much I worry about this.

Thank you again for reading, and I apologize for the post being so long.

I'd say go for it! But you clearly need a better GPA. In fact you need a great GPA, so don't repeat the same mistake again :)

And you always can turn it into some life lesson or something. Like how much your first undergrad tought you about perseverance and determination and all that stuff during the interview.

Archived