Premed 101 Forums

Vascular surgery

I believe U of T just started a 5 yr program. Not sure if the training in a US program would be recognized in Canada.

However, I've heard that some vascular surgeons recommended the 5+2 route over the vascular surgery-only training. They think that the combined gen surg + vasc training will make you more attractive to hospitals, and that it could be difficult to find work with only the 5 yr vasc training. (It also limits the places you can ultimately practice since vasc is obviously more specialized than gen surg.)

I believe U of T just started a 5 yr program. Not sure if the training in a US program would be recognized in Canada.

However, I've heard that some vascular surgeons recommended the 5+2 route over the vascular surgery-only training. They think that the combined gen surg + vasc training will make you more attractive to hospitals, and that it could be difficult to find work with only the 5 yr vasc training. (It also limits the places you can ultimately practice since vasc is obviously more specialized than gen surg.)

Hmm, how can UT start a program when RCPSC doesn't recognize the training for the subspecialty?

Because he's mistaken and UT doesn't have such a program maybe.

It's always possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I guess it will start in the near future, then? Some vascular surgeons were talking to classmates about it, so I assume it will be running by the time we (2nd years) apply to carms.

It's always possible I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I guess it will start in the near future, then? Some vascular surgeons were talking to classmates about it, so I assume it will be running by the time we (2nd years) apply to carms.

Yeah in the near future according to the director of the surgery dpt of my medical school, who is himself a vascular surgeon. The program will be accredited accross Canada so a couple of school should be getting it.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived