Premed 101 Forums

Mark adjustment - How the hell do I do this?

leap87

So, time came to ask for advice from fellow pre-med students. I have never asked for my marks to be adjusted in all of my undergrad, so I have no idea how to go about in doing it. Here's my situation:

I am doing research in one of the labs and I took up an independent study project (not the first time). I've ripped through semester, pretty much zipping through all of the undergrad students in my lab, teaching them and doing my project at the same time. This mark is only for this semester so I'm only going to speak about this semester. I pretty much did more than the rest of the undergrads in the lab (and I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't do).

Now here comes the best part:

Asked the professor what I need to do to get an A+ since he doesn't usually give A+s but I really wanted it so I asked. He basically told me everything I've done in the past months and then said "If that doesn't deserve an A+, I don't know what does" and he told me that as long as my final presentation is good, I will get the A+. So I worked my butt off for the final presentation, putting together graphs, intro, crap I did into mere 13 slides. Presented the research in front of faculty and answered their questions. I presented under 10 minutes (one of the criteria). IMO, didn't drop the ball during the presentation. Really worked my butt off for mine and to fix my fellow colleagues (by analyzing HIS data and making HIS f*cking graphs because he didn't know how to do it).

So, how the hell do I bring up this mark to my professor? I thought I did everything he asked me to, but it seems like he thinks differently. Do I set up a meeting with him via e-mail or do I just pop by his office and if I do that, what do I say? :(

And yes, this mark is VERY important to me. Also, one of the reasons why it upsets me so much is because he pretty much categorized me with all of the other students, when I've clearly done more work. If I didn't and I knew I didn't, I wouldn't be complaining about the mark. :(

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.

So i'm assuming you got an A and not the A+?

In my opinion, i'd let it go. The differences between an A and an A+ are minor (at some schools they have the same GPA weighting) and likely you'll make an enemy out of your supervisor. If ever at some point you would want a reference letter from them, or perhaps the chance to be on a publication from your research, likely it won't go your way if you've nitpicked over a minor grade.

Send him an email along the lines of "Can I set up an appointment with you to talk about my final grade." Don't just stop by his office because it may be a bad time for him and you won't be able to have the conversation you want to have. Then go to the appointment at whatever time they set up. Then basically tell them exactly what you wrote in your first post. Discuss why you deserve and A+ and how you did everything required for an A+, etc.

There's always a way for a prof to change a grade. They just tell the department/registrar that they made a mistake.

I am doing research in one of the labs and I took up an independent study project (not the first time). I've ripped through semester, pretty much zipping through all of the undergrad students in my lab, teaching them and doing my project at the same time. This mark is only for this semester so I'm only going to speak about this semester. I pretty much did more than the rest of the undergrads in the lab (and I wouldn't be saying this if I didn't do).

Now here comes the best part:

Asked the professor what I need to do to get an A+ since he doesn't usually give A+s but I really wanted it so I asked. He basically told me everything I've done in the past months and then said "If that doesn't deserve an A+, I don't know what does" and he told me that as long as my final presentation is good, I will get the A+. So I worked my butt off for the final presentation, putting together graphs, intro, crap I did into mere 13 slides. Presented the research in front of faculty and answered their questions. I presented under 10 minutes (one of the criteria). IMO, didn't drop the ball during the presentation. Really worked my butt off for mine and to fix my fellow colleagues (by analyzing HIS data and making HIS f*cking graphs because he didn't know how to do it).

So, how the hell do I bring up this mark to my professor? I thought I did everything he asked me to, but it seems like he thinks differently. Do I set up a meeting with him via e-mail or do I just pop by his office and if I do that, what do I say? :(

And yes, this mark is VERY important to me. Also, one of the reasons why it upsets me so much is because he pretty much categorized me with all of the other students, when I've clearly done more work. If I didn't and I knew I didn't, I wouldn't be complaining about the mark. :(

1. Set up a meeting, either personally or by email, whichever maskes you more comfortable and let him know the subject matter, without detailo, in a friendly manner.

2. Recognize that he is in the driver's seat - so don't say or do anything that will piss him off. You will get further with honey than vinegar.

3. In your presentation, better verbal than in writing, flatter him objectively, e.g., this is best course ever, you have learned so much under him, it has been a pleasure to work for him, etc. Strictly obective truth and no b.s.

4.Remind him of the your specific previous question and of his answer.

5. Go through your Presentation to show that you met each and every criteria he gave to you.

6. Let him understand this is about more than the grade. It involves your furture, your credibility, your creddentials as seen by others!

7. You are not asking for something to which you do not feel your are not objectively entitled and ask him to pleassee reconsider, reminding him of all te terrific work you have done in the past leading up to this Prsentation, that is the clmination of all your effort and prior successes.

8. Rely upon his integrity and review of the matter. Then pray!!

Note: I am dealing with a real @$$hole prof at the moment who doesn't like me and wants to give me a low mark in the final to come. I will give him no excuse as I intend to allow him no manouverability by acing the exam. However, he is in control and can screw me over if he really really wants to. We can on ly do so much and then just take our lumps and move on.

Good luck!! Fight the good fight with honey. :) [And you can always go over his head if he does not change it, although there is a possibility for them to lower your grade too.]

thatonekid and I see it the same way!

Ok.

So i'm assuming you got an A and not the A+?

In my opinion, i'd let it go. The differences between an A and an A+ are minor (at some schools they have the same GPA weighting) and likely you'll make an enemy out of your supervisor. If ever at some point you would want a reference letter from them, or perhaps the chance to be on a publication from your research, likely it won't go your way if you've nitpicked over a minor grade.

If I could just let it go, I would. But there's a requirement for one of the programs to have high academic standing specifically to this area. Hence why I asked in the first place how can I get an A+. Otherwise, I wouldn't really care.

Send him an email along the lines of "Can I set up an appointment with you to talk about my final grade." Don't just stop by his office because it may be a bad time for him and you won't be able to have the conversation you want to have. Then go to the appointment at whatever time they set up. Then basically tell them exactly what you wrote in your first post. Discuss why you deserve and A+ and how you did everything required for an A+, etc.

There's always a way for a prof to change a grade. They just tell the department/registrar that they made a mistake.

True. I just don't understand wtf I did wrong. Could it be that he just forgot about it or made a mistake in typing in a grade? Is that even possible?

1. Set up a meeting, either personally or by email, whichever maskes you more comfortable and let him know the subject matter, without detailo, in a friendly manner.

2. Recognize that he is in the driver's seat - so don't say or do anything that will piss him off. You will get further with honey than vinegar.

3. In your presentation, better verbal than in writing, flatter him objectively, e.g., this is best course ever, you have learned so much under him, it has been a pleasure to work for him, etc. Strictly obective truth and no b.s.

4.Remind him of the your specific previous question and of his answer.

5. Go through your Predsentation to show that you met each and every criteria he gave to you.

6. Let him understand this is about more than the grade. It involves your furture, your credibility, your creddentials as seen by others!

7. You are not asking for something to which you do not feel your are not objectively entitled and ask him to pleassee reconsider, reminding him of all te terrific work you have done in the past leading up to this Prsentation, that is the clmination of all your effort and prior successes.

8. Rely upon his integrity and review of the matter. Then pray!!

Note: I am dealing with a real @$$hole prof at the moment who doesn't like me and wants to give me a low mark in the final to come. I will give him no excuse as I intend to allow him no manouverability by acing the exam. However, he is in control and can screw me over if he really really wants to. We can on ly do so much and then just take our lumps and move on.

Good luck!! Fight the good fight with honey. :) [And you can always go over his head if he does not change it, although there is a possibility for them to lower your grade too.]

Thanks for that. Yeah, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on how to approach this. I definitively don't want to get him angry or insult him because he is a nice man, but I'm just so frustrated right now. I told him why I wanted an A+ in the first place - I said it was important for the program I'm applying, specifically for my new supervisor.

I don't know how to approach it because any time I tell him he's "wrong" (not like that but in a nice way), he gets at first annoyed but then he settles down and discusses it with me. It's the part where he gets annoyed that is worrying me.

True. I just don't understand wtf I did wrong. Could it be that he just forgot about it or made a mistake in typing in a grade? Is that even possible?

Thanks for that. Yeah, that's why I'm asking for suggestions on how to approach this. I definitively don't want to get him angry or insult him because he is a nice man, but I'm just so frustrated right now. I told him why I wanted an A+ in the first place - I said it was important for the program I'm applying, specifically for my new supervisor.

I don't know how to approach it because any time I tell him he's "wrong" (not like that but in a nice way), he gets at first annoyed but then he settles down and discusses it with me. It's the part where he gets annoyed that is worrying me.

You did nothing wrong. He did what he did on autopilot, it was no big deal for him. It is less about what you said to him and more about his evaluation and re-evaluation. He should take into account the extreme importance to you and the negative ripple effect it will have upon your future. Of course, strictly speaking, none of this is relevant to his decision......but it is!

Just tactfully and diplomatically into the discussion/monologue say something along the lines, "I certainly tried my very best to meet your every criteria for me to obtain an A+, I met with you, discussed this very subject with you and followed to the letter and spirit all you said. I feel that I did a brilliant Presentation deserving of an A+. Yyou are the ultimate judge and I rely upon your final decision once you re-evaluate taking into account my representations. And, if it was not so very important to my future, to my new supervisor for establishing my crediibiloity and credentials that e believed I had, I would not be here. I am so very gratefulo to have been working under you and have learned so much. I am i n your hands. I thankk you for your time and considerastion and hope you have a marvelous summer!

He will then do what he will do. I had a wonderfgul prof who recently gave me an A- when I thought I desrved much better. I went to see him, he explained to me why, showing me my paper. I agreed with him and thanked him for his time. I recieved a fair hearing, that is all I wanted. And he wrote a brilliant LOR for me.

Don't appear nervous (no coffee, lol), just polite business with no pressure but he will understand where you are coming from and why. Then, what will be, will be! Life is neither perfect nor fair for any of us.

Oh, and the sooner, the better!

Hmm...yeah, this is a tough situation. I really feel for you. It's tough to argue for an A+ when you've already received an A, as it makes you sound like a grade grubber. Obviously in this case, the A+ is very important for your future.

I think you need to talk to the prof ASAP (as future_doc mentioned). The longer you take, the more hoops the prof has to jump through to change the grade, and thus he will become less and less likely to do it. My advice would be to be straight-forward. Don't pussyfoot around the issue and waste his time by kissing his ass. Always preface by saying: "I really hate to ask for this..." and point out to him that you are doing this out of necessity and that you would absolutely let this go if you could. It's not about the grade specifically, but needing to make it into your program of choice. Reiterate what he had told you earlier regarding your obtainment of the A+.

Oh, and if possible, discuss with your labmates (including grad students and post-docs) how to best approach him. Truth is, none of us likely know him in person, and can accurately judge his personality and character. He may be a loose-cannon who can fly off the handle and stick you with a brutal reference, or leave you off a paper. Your labmates will have significantly greater insight than any of us possibly could have.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks guys! I talked with a grad student about it and he was very shocked to hear what happened. He told me to go set up a general meeting with him and to do a circular loop and just ask him what I need to improve on since I didn't get an A+.

I'm going to do it some time this week. I'm feeling really crappy, angry, ****ty, and right now I don't feel like seeing him because I might say something to offend him, so I need to cool down a bit. I really, really worked my butt off for this mark - in fact, I think this is the only thing I worked my butt off this semester. If it was any other course, I would be like "W.e." but it's not. I spent countless, sleepless nights trying to figure out stuff.... it just boggles my mind that the more I work, the less I get. :(

I know how much you love this prof and since you've been working in his lab for years, you're at a much better position to receive a grade change that most of us, who only know a prof over a semester and often never personalize with a prof at all.

I would suggest cooling off today and e-mailing tomorrow. Your e-mail might be nicer if you do it tomorrow. And definitely do meet and talk. It's possible that he forgot your discussion about the A+ at the start of the semester. A gentle reminder, a discussion of your future plans and the necessity of the grade along with a light mention of the absymal performance of your other group guy (whom the prof is aware of, I believe, as you forwarded all the e-mails) should tilt the plate.

GL.

Leapy, hope it goes well. I second what Leon said, cool off before you send him your e-mail. There's time to discuss the grade and hopefully he will change the grade. I know it's been an emotional day for you, so please try to relax and then you can talk to him about your grade. These marks are not set in stone yet, and it's not over 'till the fat lady sings. I know how fiery you can get, so just STAY CALM when you talk to him. As FD said, "Fight the good fight with honey." ;)

No can do. Letting go would mean saying "F%$# you future" and making myself less competitive and then saying "bye bye opportunity" when I get a letter saying my marks aren't good enough.

What is this program that absolutely, definitively uses an A+ in one particular course to judge its applicants?

What is this program that absolutely, definitively uses an A+ in one particular course to judge its applicants?

It's not one particular course. It's all particular field courses. And it's not A+ = it's high academic standing in those courses. The higher your GPA, the better.

Especially pertaining to your research area since it's a purely research based program.....

It's not one particular course. It's all particular field courses. And it's not A+ = it's high academic standing in those courses. The higher your GPA, the better.

Especially pertaining to your research area since it's a purely research based program.....

so the admissions is based on your GPA in a few field courses? ouch

leapy! this makes me so sad. i know how hard you work for your research. i'm sorry but the prof sounds like a meanie. why would he even do that. i know exactly how you feel;you work 100X harder and end up with the same grade - EVEN if it's an A, it's frustrating.

you need to go see him ASAP and i'm not even joking, make him feel bad. not by saying anything mean......you need to act pitiful. go and be like "professor, i'm sorry to bother you like this, but i am wondering if you could please tell me what more i could have done to earn an A+ in this course........was there an area in which you were not pleased enough with my performance *sad puppy look*.......as you know i've spent several nights sleeping in this lab, and i was so dedicated to the project, so i don't understand why my mark was not an A+, and i want to know what was missing because i am losing sleep over this"

see what he says. i doubt he'll have a legit reason - use that to your advantage and explain that this course meant a lot to you and ask him upright if there is a possibility for a mark bump. more sad puppy looks too. add in a tear or two if you like for good measure :D

as for people saying this and that about him not writing you letters, listen, he held back from giving you that 90 in the first place, so there is something going on in his head anyways - you have nothing to lose by asking him for a bump. if he says yes, maybe he realizes he was wrong and he will fix it. if he says no, screw this guy and no need to ask for a letter or anything. you have other profs you can ask i am sure.

but yeah point is: emotional blackmail. go girl!

I already have a game plan. I just need to calm down. I for sure won't cry or beg for a mark. But I am going to ask him what else would I have needed to do to get that 90. Leon is right - maybe he did forget. Maybe he mistyped. Maybe he was putting in marks when he was not in a good mood. Or maybe he just thinks I don't deserve that mark and if I don't, I want to hear why.

What I find very unfair though is the fact that he gave me an impression that I nailed my presentation instead of coming up to me and saying something like "You were too loud. You didn't answer questions correctly. I really disliked how you analyzed this. Based on this, you will get an A" - and that would have been fair. I could deal with that. But when I asked for feedback, he said I did excellently and I was very confident up there, answered all the questions well. So unless he's punishing me for not going further to pursue studies with him (I highly doubt he's that kind of an individual because he's very down to earth even though it did kind of annoy him that I'm going away and not staying)..... I don't know. I won't know until I talk with him on Thursday.

so the admissions is based on your GPA in a few field courses? ouch

Yeah. It's based on your research and what kind of grades you got in some of the core courses + all of your projects. It's a specialized program.

Archived