Premed 101 Forums

UWO Early acceptance

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nah I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's just as difficult - there's the references, the essays, the ECs and a completely different set of interviews (like MMI and then traditional).

It's definitely very competitive but med requires a bit more planning and effort in my opinion - yes yes don't flame me, I'm referring to the majority of schools that only look at GPA, DAT, and the CDA interview (which if you know what attributes they are looking for in each answer, you can prepare very adequatley for - unlike the MMIs and traditional interviews, you have know idea how they score you). I'm aware of schools like McGill that take into account essays and whatnot...for the most part, the dents process is a little easier. Academically I'd say that it's probably harder for those applying for dents though - it just seems like everyone's grades are so damn high!!

i agree with this.

med involves more factors and as a result applicants need to be more well-rounded. luck is also extremely important in med app.

for dent app, if you know the game and play it well, you'll get in. not so much with med.

I find this comment slightly insulting. It seems like you are implying that entrance into dental school is based on a formula that can be easily figured out.

Because many students bullsiht their med applications, dents has decided that they won't let extracurriculars play a role in the application process. As a result, we need to achieve extremely high marks. And, I think we all know that things like school choice, course choice and even exam schedule can be major factors in the outcome of our grades. - Luck.

I have also spoken to many interviewers for dental school. When I asked them what sorts of things can get you a high score, 50% of them said confidence is all that matters, and the other 50% said the answer is all that matters. So, how do you know what kind of interviewer you have? - It's all luck.

I will definitely agree with you that the dental application itself is MUCH easier. Hell, for Western, all I pretty much had to do was fill out my address! But in terms of the grades, scores, etc...everything you need to get IN, well that's where you're wrong.

Sorry, I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant...but you can't just distill the dental school admission process down to a simple game that can be "played" well. And if there is a neat little formula, please, share your wisdom with everyone on this forum. I'm sure they'd love to know the step-by-step process for guaranteed acceptance.

you did take it the wrong way as i would be if a dental applicant said med app was a simple game to be played. several of my friends plan to become dentists and are on the final stage of becoming one, i've come to hear a lot about the process from their point of view and, after some mutual exchange of our experience, it wasn't a tough conclusion to make that med app was 'harder', in a sense that it's much less predictable.

does that mean less respect for dents? of course not, these guys are top notch from every aspect and i know it's very hard to get in.

just a couple of more points:

1) take ontario, except uwo and queens, no medical school uses cut-off method to decide interview invite, most will look at other aspects of the applicant to evaluate the applicants well-roundedness. even with the cutoff, let's face it, VR of 10-11 and WS of Q-R are harder to meet than DAT's RS of 18 (uwo) or AA/PAT 20 (u of t)

2) interview style - MMI and traditional, you never know what you will get asked, which aspect of your app the interviewer will ask you about, and situation they'll throw at you (MMI) or the ethic challenges they'll test you (panel). dent's interview is standardized where you know some of the basic qualities they are looking for so you could categorize your experience accordingly to be able to answer those questions promptly and with depth.

3) lack of EC requirement - im not saying just because they don't ask for them, the applicants must lack them and are less well-rounded, but it is one less barrier toward admission.

i don't agree with you on the point that EC aren't important and people can just lie about it. you cant, you need verifier and if anything, it's much easier to lie on a dental interview with no proof whatsoever.

and a diverse EC's is extremely important. simply knowing that you have experience in something or some field, even if on paper, shows the extent of your life experience beyond academia and also gives the interviewer a chance to really know you more as a person and maybe even challenge you to verify that you have indeed accomplished those things.

sorry for the long post but i wish to make my point across clearly and in a non-insulting way because i respect dents. but if i had to make a comparison, what i've stated would be my conclusion.

I respect your argument. I guess at the end of the day...it's kind of hard to compare the two, simply because the application processes are quite different.

I think it really depends on where your strengths lie. I guess I'm just slightly bitter because getting into dental school has become increasingly difficult in the last few years *angry face*. If we turned the clock back to 2007, I would whole-heartedly agree that meds is harder. But I think people are starting to catch on to the fact that dents is where it's at ;).

I respect your argument. I guess at the end of the day...it's kind of hard to compare the two, simply because the application processes are quite different.

I think it really depends on where your strengths lie. I guess I'm just slightly bitter because getting into dental school has become increasingly difficult in the last few years *angry face*. If we turned the clock back to 2007, I would whole-heartedly agree that meds is harder. But I think people are starting to catch on to the fact that dents is where it's at ;).

i agree with this. 86% and 3.85 cutoff just for an interview at uwo and uoft respectively are ridiculous and i was frankly very surprised when my friends told me that.

i suspect that, because of the increase in competition, uwo and ut might incorporate other factors (i.e. ec, essay) into their admission process and will match up to the competitiveness of med at that point, if not harder due to the small size of its classes.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I just got accepted to UWO. I dunno if it's an early acceptance or not...I suppose one of the top 15 declined their spot.

So if one of top 15 rejects his/her offer, then the next one on the list gets an offer?? When did they send you an email?

cool, congrats on the acceptance. may i ask what your stats were? how do you think my chances are with 89.4% avg and 22/22 DAT and an interview that that i have no idea about?

GPA: 3.9

20 PAT

22 AA

So if one of top 15 rejects his/her offer, then the next one on the list gets an offer?? When did they send you an email?

This may or may not be true, I was just speculating. I got an e-mail Thursday.

Archived