Premed 101 Forums

Stop the nurses before it's too late

NSAADs are non-steroidal anti-asthma drugs -- mast-cell stablizers like cromolyn sodium, and anti-leukotrienes like montelukast. I would be incredibly surprised if any of these meds made it into our scope given that they have no place in acute care and are mostly PO, but there's talk.

Anyway, I wasn't responding to the discussion as a whole. I was only responding to the idea that any health care profession which was looking to expand its scope was stocked with MD-wannabes.

The ND/NP discussion is above my pay grade.

Ahh, forgive my ignorance then! I'd never heard of the term NSAADS, so I thought you were trying to say NSAIDs. :)

But I could see RTs expanding their scope in outpatient asthma therapy. They already do home visits for asthma education, they are well educated in respiratory care, and I think with MD oversight they could help manage asthma patients in place of MDs (again, with oversight). So to give monteleukast and similar drugs and manage asthma would be an expansion of scope I'd totally support. The question is, would it save the health care system any money when they usually only cost $29 for an office checkup with their MD?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're missing the point. When someone goes into the hospital and someone comes up to them and says, "Hi, my name is Dr. so-and-so, what can I help you with today?" The patient is going to assume that this is a medical doctor not a nurse with a doctorate or a guy with a PhD.

Not to mention, many people in the public have no clue what the difference is between MD and PhD. Haven't you ever heard people refer to (medical) doctors as people who got their PhD? I have...and when you go up to someone in a clinical setting and call yourself Doctor, it is incredibly misleading and the intention of that is clear.

Not to mention, many people in the public have no clue what the difference is between MD and PhD. Haven't you ever heard people refer to (medical) doctors as people who got their PhD? I have...and when you go up to someone in a clinical setting and call yourself Doctor, it is incredibly misleading and the intention of that is clear.

We are taught to use our position in the introduction - Hi I am "rmorelan" a (med student, clinical cleric, a X year (surgical etc) resident at the hospital etc). Seems pretty clear - even as doctors to be we go our of our way not to confuse people with our rank. I would hope everyone would try and do the same :)

We are taught to use our position in the introduction - Hi I am "rmorelan" a (med student, clinical cleric, a X year (surgical etc) resident at the hospital etc). Seems pretty clear - even as doctors to be we go our of our way not to confuse people with our rank. I would hope everyone would try and do the same :)

I agree with you totally. :) But clinical clerk would probably be confusing to many people, non? I'm starting clerkship in August and most people I've told say "what's clerkship?" I'll probably just say "I'm a 3rd year medical student" or something...lol I guess you can't win sometimes.

LOL I love how these joke nurses with garbage HS averages, entering low ass competitive programs(4 years only) want to be on the same status as a guy/gal that balls 4 years of UG, balls the MCAT, getting accepted to med(hardest thing ever), spend 4 years of med school, and years of residency..

and most of these nurses get their degrees from community colleges!!!!

LOL I love how these joke nurses with garbage HS averages, entering low ass competitive programs(4 years only) want to be on the same status as a guy/gal that balls 4 years of UG, balls the MCAT, getting accepted to med(hardest thing ever), spend 4 years of med school, and years of residency..

wtf man...

Guest success100
Which parts?

FYI, I've graduated from life sci at UofT, and I've found nursing just as hard... if not harder.

You need a BScN to practice as RN here.

Exactly...Nurses having Bsc or advanced degrees should get more respect and better salary (not the same as Physicians,but still...)

Some people here don't realize how it would be great to give some more power to nurses,they just count on the salary,when someone tries to get a salary increase,they start moaning like little dogs "OMG ITZ JUST A NURSE WTF THEY NEED PAY?IM FROM MED AND I DONT AGREEd"

If you know what i mean...

But,i don't think we should give nurses the right to prescribe unless they did additional training for it,there's already too much problems with MDs prescribing wrong doses or wrong medications here in Canada and in U.S...

Exactly...Nurses having Bsc or advanced degrees should get more respect and better salary (not the same as Physicians,but still...)

Some people here don't realize how it would be great to give some more power to nurses,they just count on the salary,when someone tries to get a salary increase,they start moaning like little dogs "OMG ITZ JUST A NURSE WTF THEY NEED PAY?IM FROM MED AND I DONT AGREEd"

If you know what i mean...

But,i don't think we should give nurses the right to prescribe unless they did additional training for it,there's already too much problems with MDs prescribing wrong doses or wrong medications here in Canada and in U.S...

Thank you :)

Nurse practitioners are educated and trained to provide proper prescription, whereas RNs are not (and never will be)

I think most people would rather have an IMG treat them (someone who's passed all the required tests, speaks communicable English, etc) versus a NP.

IMG's usually have more clinical experience anyway and see more cases where they actually diagnose.

So yeah, to save money, the government should really be going that route rather than the NP route.

I think most people would rather have an IMG treat them (someone who's passed all the required tests, speaks communicable English, etc) versus a NP.

IMG's usually have more clinical experience anyway and see more cases where they actually diagnose.

So yeah, to save money, the government should really be going that route rather than the NP route.

wasn't one of the arguments that an NP has a lower salary than an MD? Even a IMG doctor licensed here would earn the same as the equivalent doctor trained here. Or are you referring to the training cost?

wasn't one of the arguments that an NP has a lower salary than an MD? Even a IMG doctor licensed here would earn the same as the equivalent doctor trained here. Or are you referring to the training cost?

cost is one aspect, but how about patient quality and care? NPs and naturopaths should be part of a team at best, not be running their own clinics and have prescribing powers.

cost is one aspect, but how about patient quality and care? NPs and naturopaths should be part of a team at best, not be running their own clinics and have prescribing powers.

I was responding specifically to the cost issue.

I would argue you should have naturopaths and NPs in the same sentence that way :) At least NP follow the same medical model as doctors :)

This guy infomed might very well be the most disgusting person on this entire site. He trashes the very people that treat us first line when we are sick. The very people that work odd shift hours late at night, bathing sick elderly patients (often our parents), and often deal with the emotional aspects of health that doctors don't have the time to deal with.

Simply put, infomed makes me embarrassed to be a medical student. I think VERY high standards should exist to get into medicine (so we get the best in a field where there are so many applicants), but that does not make MDs Gods. Nor do MDs necessarily have an absolute right to make 6-20x what nurses make.

A little bit of humble pie is what as*hats like infomeddude need.

This guy infomed might very well be the most disgusting person on this entire site. He trashes the very people that treat us first line when we are sick. The very people that work odd shift hours late at night, bathing sick elderly patients (often our parents), and often deal with the emotional aspects of health that doctors don't have the time to deal with.

Simply put, infomed makes me embarrassed to be a medical student. I think VERY high standards should exist to get into medicine (so we get the best in a field where there are so many applicants), but that does not make MDs Gods. Nor do MDs necessarily have an absolute right to make 6-20x what nurses make.

A little bit of humble pie is what as*hats like infomeddude need.

Ok so your post was completly pointless and off topic. I do respect nurses, and I do admire them for all the work you mentioned. They do a good job at what they are suppose to do.

Now, what I have a problem with is equating a doc with a nurse. The educational requirments are so different that you would have to be crazy to think otherwise... or, maybe you are just trying too hard to act like you're a nice guy now..

Ok so your post was completly pointless and off topic. I do respect nurses, and I do admire them for all the work you mentioned. They do a good job at what they are suppose to do.

Now, what I have a problem with is equating a doc with a nurse. The educational requirments are so different that you would have to be crazy to think otherwise... or, maybe you are just trying too hard to act like you're a nice guy now..

My opinions have not entirely changed. I think serious premeds should have cGPAs of 3.90+, with grad students given maybe a slight allowance. I think 33+ MCATs should be standard cutoffs, with nothing below a 10. And I think too many people think that somehow they are special and deserve to be doctors because they are "special", play a sport, were born poor, or started some charity.

That does not mean I think lesser of other professions or people. That is the difference infomeddude. Your attack on nurses, perhaps the largest macroprofession held by females in Canada, was disgusting. I also don't think nurses should be given doctor responsibilities - but attacking nurses wholesale, in the savage disgusting manner you did, is pretty shocking. Much like how I outed ahmed (the york pre-med), I have enough info on you to probably out you too (need to confirm a few things before I know for sure). It's a small world out there. I can assure you, you can never truly hide behind the internet.

My opinions have not entirely changed. I think serious premeds should have cGPAs of 3.90+, with grad students given maybe a slight allowance. I think 33+ MCATs should be standard cutoffs, with nothing below a 10. And I think too many people think that somehow they are special and deserve to be doctors because they are "special", play a sport, were born poor, or started some charity.

Whaa...? I guess I wasn't a "serious premed" and surely must not be a worthy med student given that my GPA and MCAT didn't satisfy your arbitrary criteria.

Guest success100

OR

Increase number of seats in Medical Schools,with bigger amounts of interviews given,i don't think there is a difference between someone who has 3.6 of GPA and the other guy with a 4.0...

OR

Increase number of seats in Medical Schools,with bigger amounts of interviews given,i don't think there is a difference between someone who has 3.6 of GPA and the other guy with a 4.0...

This leads to a fairly common debate, however. If you increased med school enrollment you'd need to increase residency spots and hospital staffing and funding for when those residents finished.

Australia is facing a crisis of sorts right now with hundreds more medical graduates than spots available.

Archived