Premed 101 Forums

Success Stories- Non Trad Style!

Just decided to toss my story here perhaps to smoothe the anxiety of those waiting for their interview invites this year (better than studying midterms ;-)

I can't say that I always knew that I wanted to be a doctor. My life's motto has always been about following the path of least resistance and I am fortunate to have most things in life come easy for me. I went in university without any form of maturity, I skipped midterms or only study the night before. The icing on the cake may have been showing up to my physic exam on the wrong day. I can't really remember much about my first two year in undergrad except I spending hours running around the track as part of the varsity team and regular attendance at Thursday pub nights and a cGPA of 1.6 after the first two years.

Then I saw an opportunity to do ecological field research in Mexico during my third year, so I immediately decided that I wanted to be an ecologist. A couple of professors took me under their wings spoon fed me a couple of research projects, showed me how fun research can be. Then they told me that I need to pull up my marks if I want to continue on and go to grad. school. Following my passion in my last years, I earned a cGPA of 3.97. I started volunteering at SickKids during my third year after my track season was lost to an injury. SickKids was pretty awesome and put medicine on my radar.

I continued on with a grad degree in geology and had an amazing time. I started looking for Grad schools in the US, visited and did some work at Stanford. Great school, great program but something was off; Mama and Papa bear weren't too thrilled with my career path as an environmental scientist/ prof.

Then on my way to enjoying SF's night life via the BART, the train suddenly stopped at Civic Center. I got off to check out what the stoppage was about, to find a man lying in a pool of blood. The police on the scene was waiting for a doctor and I was there but unable to help. At that point, I kinda realize that this may be a coincidence or this may be my calling. I packed my stuff left the west coast, enrolled in a MCAT program, study for six weeks and then put together my OMSAS package. I applied to only a couple of programs thinking that if it's meant to be then Ill get in regardless of the number of applications.

Around this time last year, I got the invite for an interview at Queen's. And the rest is history as they say. You can check out my vitals at the Queen's page but my undergrad cGPA was 3.2 and I didnt do much EC in a hospital setting. I was active in the community and I ran around the track alot. So don't lose hope ppl, if you feel like there's an urge to do medicine, there's a reason for it and you should pursue it regardless of your GPA / background. Good Luck!

I don't get it. Who was trolling? :S

just the previous one, you expected me to answer to the first post on the 20th something page ? :rolleyes:

Which part of my story do you think it's trolling? When you are in geology and decided to do medicine, it takes around a semester to get used to the workload before you even dare to procrastinate on Premed101. You can ask if there's a geologist in the first year class at Queen's. We are a small class, so I am sure someone on the forum can verify this. If my story has upset anyone, I apologize. I just want to use my personal experience to emphasize the point that if ppl feel like they belong in medicine, life will lead them there, don't despair.

Just decided to toss my story here perhaps to smoothe the anxiety of those waiting for their interview invites this year (better than studying midterms ;-)

I can't say that I always knew that I wanted to be a doctor. My life's motto has always been about following the path of least resistance and I am fortunate to have most things in life come easy for me. I went in university without any form of maturity, I skipped midterms or only study the night before. The icing on the cake may have been showing up to my physic exam on the wrong day. I can't really remember much about my first two year in undergrad except I spending hours running around the track as part of the varsity team and regular attendance at Thursday pub nights and a cGPA of 1.6 after the first two years. Then I saw an opportunity to do ecological field research in Mexico during my third year, so I immediately decided that I wanted to be an ecologist. A couple of professors took me under their wings spoon fed me a couple of research projects, showed me how fun research can be. Then they told me that I need to pull up my marks if I want to continue on and go to grad. school. Following my passion in my last years, I earned a cGPA of 3.97. I started volunteering at SickKids during my third year after my track season was lost to an injury. SickKids was pretty awesome and put medicine on my radar.

I continued on with a grad degree in geology and had an amazing time. I started looking for Grad schools in the US, visited and did some work at Stanford. Great school, great program but something was off; Mama and Papa bear weren't too thrilled with my career path as an environmental scientist/ prof.

Then on my way to enjoying SF's night life via the BART, the train suddenly stopped at Civic Center. I got off to check out what the stoppage was about, to find a man lying in a pool of blood. The police on the scene was waiting for a doctor and I was there but unable to help. At that point, I kinda realize that this may be a coincidence or this may be my calling. I packed my stuff left the west coast, enrolled in a MCAT program, study for six weeks and then put together my OMSAS package. I applied to only a couple of programs thinking that if it's meant to be then Ill get in regardless of the number of applications.

Around this time last year, I got the invite for an interview at Queen's. And the rest is history as they say. You can check out my vitals at the Queen's page but my undergrad cGPA was 3.2 and I didnt do much EC in a hospital setting. I was active in the community and I ran around the track alot. So don't lose hope ppl, if you feel like there's an urge to do medicine, there's a reason for it and you should pursue it regardless of your GPA / background. Good Luck!

here is what I call "discrepancy" in your story:

- the results of first 2 years of undergrad show nothing else but a lazy and procrastinating character,

- the easiness with wich you describe that "a couple of profs took you under their wings" shows more that "Mama and Papa bear" were interested in you doing the research (and somehow they got you into this, wouldn't specify how...leave space for immagination), bc it's no way that someone would offer you, a student with 1,6 GPA, a research opportunity just like that, because of your amazing eyes/smile/both - here you need some contacts ;)

- your experience at Stanford would have the same interpretation as your third year research experience and the Professors' wings stuff,

- one question? if you wasn't interested in Medicine from the beginning, why to volunteer then at Sickkids (fanciness for your CV ?), and it's no way that a single random situation in your life (the man in pool of blood, as you say) motivated you to do medicine; with the same success you could have been motivated to become a policeman (thre was one at the scene, wasn't it) with a certificate in CPR, so in case you get in the same situation you would know what to do, right

good luck, I belive you are in medicine, you have all this experience, but NOT in the way you putted it here, sorry, but good luck ;)

Yes, those are very obvious discrepancies. Especially the research positions and Stanford deals. Also, wouldn't somebody with a 1.6 GPA be up for academic probation?

I had a 0.42 GPA one year. Eventually, I too was offered a research project (and masters) at a very big-name US school. Funny enough, I'm a geology student too.

I had a 0.42 GPA one year. Eventually, I too was offered a research project (and masters) at a very big-name US school. Funny enough, I'm a geology student too.

so, I have to take this as granted because there are actually two of you in a more or less the same situation ?

that's more a reason to doubt both your and his affirmations ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess it is time,

NEW BRUNSWICK

UG-Biology, first class honours, minor in Chemistry

OMSAS GPA-Full-time+ all years

YR1-3.88

YR2-3.8 (PT student research assistant)

YR3-3.6 (PT student research assistant, mentoring, tutoring, MFR cert.)

YR4-3.8+? (TBA) In process. (honors project, mentoring)

GPA when applying to med school- 3.7

MCAT when applying to med school - 31M (11-11-9)

-First time applicant

Applied: Memorial, Dalhousie, Queens, Toronto, McMaster

Interviews: Memorial, Dalhousie, McMaster (declined interview after acceptance)

Accepted: Memorial

Rejected (Pre or Post Interview): Queens-Pre, Toronto-Pre, Dalhousie-Post

I was born in the USA and lived there for a few years. My father left and we picked up and moved to Saint John, NB where we had some family. I lived in one of the poorest areas in the south end of the city. Eventually we moved back to the US but it didn't last and we were back up here in south end SJ again. I am a dual citizen :cool:

I had some issues throughout school and teachers figured I was ADD/ADHD, one even went so far to say that until I was medicated I was not allowed in the class, that didn't work and I was not medicated at all as a child.

It was only my mother and grandmother raising me, we all lived together. I heard from my father (had heard nothing for years) as I got older and he wanted to get in contact so we started up a relationship, unfortunately a few years later he was diagnosed with cancer and I lost him while in high school. Also right around losing my father I also lost my grandmother who was my main parent. Clearly this did not help my already awful grades as I just lost interest. I also skipped class throughout most of high school and had little guidance in my life. Somehow I still managed to graduate on time -2006.

I had always wanted to do something and after dealing with dying family I knew it was medicine but I was not ready and I also thought because of where I came from how could I do it? How would I pay for it? I was never talked to about my future, if I was living at home after graduating I would have to pay rent, so I got a crappy job and decided to pursue being a chef in the US:confused: . I moved down to the states with a friend and nothing worked out, back to SJ I came. I moved back home and got another part-time job at a craft store. It was at that craft store I met my wife. We started dating and she knew I had the intelligence to pursue what I wanted but after moving in together and getting pregnant I thought maybe joining the forces could help our family. I joined the forces but had not properly prepared for the run test. I failed and was sent home. Back story: my father, mother and grandmother all smoked and smoked inside, I know I have been affected by this but I do not require an inhaler, I do not smoke. Coming home defeated and needing to do something I applied to UNBSJ for 2009. I was helped by my wife's parents and taken to meet the financial office to check out my options. I then realized all the programs and loans etc. that were available to me as a low-income and now independent student. I wanted to be a doctor but it was still a long way off and a lot of doubting. So with our own apartment and a baby on the way I started my first year which was under Arts as I did not have the pre-reqs (or did not do well enough in them). I took a full course load or more, and switched to Science. In January of 2010 my first daughter was born, this added some pressure. My wife stayed home with our daughter and I was doing great at the university, my first year being my best. My second year started and we found out that we would be having another child. I also started a student work job as a research assistant part-time. In second year my wife and I were married. Summer before third year we had our second daughter. I continued into third year with the student research position and also began studying for the MCAT. I started volunteering tutoring and mentoring kids through the university and also obtained my medical first responder cert. through St. John ambulance. At the end of third year during exams I took the MCAT 26M (6-11-9) I knew I would have to re write during the summer to apply in the fall. I also had an NSERC position for the summer. Early summer I started volunteering for St. John ambulance and later in Summer I obtained my drivers license, finally my wife could stop chauffeuring me around with the kids. Somewhere in there I re-took the MCAT and got a 31M (11-11-9). I was now ready to apply to med school! I applied to Memorial, Dalhousie, Queens, McMaster and Toronto.

I received an interview with Memorial and was guaranteed an interview with Dal because of my residence status. I felt great after both interviews and I know being a more mature applicant helped as I was able to draw easily from my life experience. I also received an interview invite from McMaster, rejected pre-interview from Queens and Toronto.

I just received my acceptance from Memorial Medical School to join their class of 2017!!!!!

I could not have done this without the support of my wife who came from a good family and education but has put her education and her life on hold for me.

I also had a lot of professors on my side as I developed friendships with many of them. (great references)

So even with my back story and not being able to go into Science right away I am still graduating after only 4 years and with an honours project at that. I will also be headed straight to med school Fall 2013. I have changed my family's life completely. I cannot control what my children do but I know I will have money to support them and I will tell them that they can do anything they want (as long as it is legal) and hopefully I will be able to fund their education so there are fewer barriers for them than there were for me, and maybe I have started a family line that will be educated and make a difference in this world... who knows :)

I am editing my post to add some things.

After being accepted but before my graduation from my undergrad my mother was diagnosed with anal cancer. She underwent treatment and was trying to get better, unable to attend my graduation. She developed blood clots in her legs after treatment and after getting worse was admitted to hospital and had to have her leg amputated below the knee. They biopsied a spot on her lung while she was recovering and found out it was also cancer. Her leg was also not recovering well enough and they had to go in and take above the knee. Then her other leg started having issues as well as her breathing. She had blood clots in her lungs. This all happened later in the summer and in the first few weeks of medical school starting. Last week I flew home to say goodbye to my mother, 2 days later she passed. I have work to catch up on but I have a family that needs me and I will keep going. She wanted to see me graduate medical school but she is free from pain and in a better place.

I will not give up, if any of you have gone through something like this, don't give up. The class of 2017 at munmed have been awesome and I am grateful for all the support I have had.

Great job dude. Indeed, all of your hard work has landed you in a future position that will allow you to completely change your family tree. Congratulations, you are set for the wildest ride of your life!

Beef

I guess it is time,

UG-Biology

YR1-3.88

-First time applicant

Interviews: Memorial, Dalhousie, McMaster

Rejected: Queens

I was born in the USA and lived there for a few years. My father left and we picked up and moved to Saint John, NB where we had some family. I lived in one of the poorest areas in the south end of the city. Eventually we moved back to the US but it didn't last and we were back up here in south end SJ again. I am a dual citizen :cool:

I had some issues throughout school and teachers figured I was ADD/ADHD, one even went so far to say that until I was medicated I was not allowed in the class, that didn't work and I was not medicated at all as a child.

It was only my mother and grandmother raising me, we all lived together. I heard from my father (had heard nothing for years) as I got older and he wanted to get in contact so we started up a relationship, unfortunately a few years later he was diagnosed with cancer and I lost him while in high school. Also right around losing my father I also lost my grandmother who was my main parent. Clearly this did not help my already awful grades as I just lost interest. I also skipped class throughout most of high school and had little guidance in my life. Somehow I still managed to graduate on time -2006.

I had always wanted to do something and after dealing with dying family I knew it was medicine but I was not ready and I also thought because of where I came from how could I do it? How would I pay for it? I was never talked to about my future, if I was living at home after graduating I would have to pay rent, so I got a crappy job and decided to pursue being a chef in the US:confused: . I moved down to the states with a friend and nothing worked out, back to SJ I came. I moved back home and got another part-time job at a craft store. It was at that craft store I met my wife. We started dating and she knew I had the intelligence to pursue what I wanted but after moving in together and getting pregnant I thought maybe joining the forces could help our family. I joined the forces but had not properly prepared for the run test. I failed and was sent home. Back story: my father, mother and grandmother all smoked and smoked inside, I know I have been affected by this but I do not require an inhaler, I do not smoke. Coming home defeated and needing to do something I applied to UNBSJ for 2009. I was helped by my wife's parents and taken to meet the financial office to check out my options. I then realized all the programs and loans etc. that were available to me as a low-income and now independent student. I wanted to be a doctor but it was still a long way off and a lot of doubting. So with our own apartment and a baby on the way I started my first year which was under Arts as I did not have the pre-reqs (or did not do well enough in them). I took a full course load or more, and switched to Science. In January of 2010 my first daughter was born, this added some pressure. My wife stayed home with our daughter and I was doing great at the university, my first year being my best. My second year started and we found out that we would be having another child. I also started a student work job as a research assistant part-time. In second year my wife and I were married. Summer before third year we had our second daughter. I continued into third year with the student research position and also began studying for the MCAT. I started volunteering tutoring and mentoring kids through the university and also obtained my medical first responder cert. through St. John ambulance. At the end of third year during exams I took the MCAT 26M (6-11-9) I knew I would have to re write during the summer to apply in the fall. I also had an NSERC position for the summer. Early summer I started volunteering for St. John ambulance and later in Summer I obtained my drivers license, finally my wife could stop chauffeuring me around with the kids. Somewhere in there I re-took the MCAT and got a 31M (11-11-9). I was now ready to apply to med school! I applied to Memorial, Dalhousie, Queens, McMaster and Toronto.

I received an interview with Memorial and was guaranteed an interview with Dal because of my residence status. I felt great after both interviews and I know being a more mature applicant helped as I was able to draw easily from my life experience. I also received an interview invite from McMaster, rejected from Queens and still waiting on Toronto.

I am doing an honors project this year and should graduate with first class honors Biology major possible minor in Chemistry.

I just received my acceptance from Memorial Medical School to join their class of 2017!!!!!

I could not have done this without the support of my wife who came from a good family and education but has put her education and her life on hold for me.

I also had a lot of professors on my side as I developed friendships with many of them. (great references)

So even with my back story and not being able to go into Science right away I am still graduating after only 4 years and with an honors project at that. I will also be headed straight to med school Fall 2013. I have changed my family's life completely. I cannot control what my children do but I know I will have money to support them and I will tell them that they can do anything they want (as long as it is legal) and hopefully I will be able to fund their education so there are fewer barriers for them than there were for me, and maybe I have started a family line that will be educated and make a difference in this world... who knows :)

I guess it is time,

UG-Biology

YR1-3.88

-First time applicant

Interviews: Memorial, Dalhousie, McMaster

Rejected: Queens

Congrats and thank you for sharing your story with us. Just curious, what age category do you fall into if you dont mind sharing?