Premed 101 Forums

Alright, so does anyone know how this wait-list business works?

This is my first time applying, and I only applied to UBC and I'm really hoping to get in-but just wondering, what are the realistic chances of people getting in? (i.e. is there any way of knowing how many people are on the list/how many people usually decline offers, thus causing WL students to receive an acceptance)

Also, I know that the time given to applicants to accept offers is shorter this year than previous years-I guess that means the first and biggest? wave of waitlist acceptances will go out somewhere around May 19/20??

Sorry for all the questions--I'm just curious and anxious and wondering if I should even keep some hope or just start planning for the next cycle?!

Anyways-I guess other people on the waitlist can post here so we can keep count and track of the WL movement?!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UBC doesn't tell you where you are on the waitlist or how many people are on the waitlist, so you have no way of knowing if you're close or not.

Last year, one of my friends was waitlisted at UBC and he stayed on the waitlist until something like July or August before he was finally rejected. I've heard of some people getting offered spots in late August.

In the past few years, something like 15-20 people have declined their offers if I remember correctly (I'm not sure if those included OOP or not). From those numbers it doesn't seem like there will be a lot of movement.

With the changes for this year, I don't know how it will affect things. I was waitlisted as well and, personally, I'm going to live like I've been rejected until I get an email saying otherwise. You really have no way of knowing if you'll get a spot, so, in my opinion, you should just start enjoying your summer and preparing for next year.

Last year there were 19 BC residence that rejected their offers. I'm waitlisted too so basically we will have to wait and see. I had a friend last year that spent the whole summer on the waitlist!! and then was rejected.

same here...waitlisted

i think the list has to be closer to 75 rather than 30 because about 20 IPs decline the offer and also admin has to take into account that some waitlistees will chose other schools thus removing themselves from the waitlist. It's easier/more professional for ubc to have a longer list than shorter and then perhaps having to call some of the original rejected applicants. either way lets hope there is a lot of waitlist movement this year!!!!!!!!!!

If you are accepted off the waitlist it is via email. I was accepted 2 years ago off the waitlist (as was one of my good friends) on June 13. Hope is not lost if you are on the waitlist hang in there. The email was titled June 13 offers (and I think my heart skipped a few beats). I would imaging these offers will be a bit earlier this year with the tighter deadlines. GOOD LUCK everyone!!! And yes the OOP and IP waitlists are separate.

Life experience 1

Med school ambitions 0

I'm on the waitlist too; I'd expect any good news to come within the next few weeks (after the big wave of those offered a spot turn it down), though I did know of a girl who got in very late (late July or August, I think).

Also, I think some congrats are in order for those of us who got waitlisted...sure, it's not the acceptance many of us were hoping for, but I interpret it as being oh-so-close, so I'd like to think that we're in good shape for next year. I'd say use this coming summer/year to improve your ECs, take some time for yourself and probably most importantly tweak those interview skills. And give yourself a pat on the back for making it this far....we're so close:) !

Hey cheerio

if you look in the request info area of the website after you log in there is info regarding waitlists. They state that there are waitlists for the 3 sites. I think that means that there are 3 separate lists

check it out!

is there anything that we need to do, in case (hopefully) we get accepted? criminal checks/immunizations, etc... or will there be enough time for us to do those *after* acceptance?

The deadline given was June 30th for the crimial record check and I haven't even gotten info on immunizations yet, so you should have plenty of time after accpetance to worry about those things.

The deadline given was June 30th for the crimial record check and I haven't even gotten info on immunizations yet, so you should have plenty of time after accpetance to worry about those things.

I see... btw, a huge congratulations to you!!! You deserve it, very happy for you, and I wish you the best.:D

Archived